Gilmer Athletic Progrm

This may just be the rant of a dad, but if so, I'll rant anyway.

There is often a perception that the Gilmer football team is great, but the rest of the Athletic program isn't good and is often overlooked.

So, this is the 2014-2015 Gilmer athletic record (sans football) to date.

Gilmer girls cross country: Won District

Gilmer girls volleyball: Made Playoffs

Gilmer girls basketball: Made Playoffs, when to Regional Tournament

Gilmer boys basketball: Made Playoffs (without playing any preseason games due to football team's run)

Gilmer girls powerlifting: Made it to state

Gilmer girls track & field: Won district meet, won area meet

Gilmer boys track & field: Won district meet, won area meet

With baseball & softball still playing, every single sport so far has had Gilmer advance beyond district.

It's easy to think that Gilmer is just a football town, and the football program wins at the sacrifice of all other programs. But the record speaks for itself.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may just be the rant of a dad, but if so, I'll rant anyway.

There is often a perception that the Gilmer football team is great, but the rest of the Athletic program isn't good and is often overlooked.

So, this is the 2014-2015 Gilmer athletic record (sans football) to date.

Gilmer girls cross country: Won District

Gilmer girls volleyball: Made Playoffs

Gilmer girls basketball: Made Playoffs, when to Regional Tournament

Gilmer boys basketball: Made Playoffs (without playing any preseason games due to football team's run)

Gilmer girls powerlifting: Made it to state

Gilmer girls track & field: Won district meet, won area meet

Gilmer boys track & field: Won district meet, won area meet

With baseball & softball still playing, every single sport so far has had Gilmer advance beyond district.

It's easy to think that Gilmer is just a football town, and the football program wins at the sacrifice of all other programs. But the record speaks for itself.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

Welcome to Murica. In the fall, there is football. Everything after December is off season football.

Nah, just Texas.

Clearly you haven't spent much time east of Texas :) Everything from Texas east to Florida is just football unless one of the major universities is good at basketball, but you still wont see the same type of support.

Speaking just from a boys athletics perspective. When you work your butts off (like they do in Gilmer) and the Coaching Staff does not try to hoard kids just for their sport (like in Gilmer), and when you lift year round (like they do in Gilmer, and when you have a community that totally supports the kids and coaches (like they do in Gilmer) you are going to have success program wide. What is amazing is that SO many places cannot figure that thing out when it is so stinking easy.

Speaking just from a boys athletics perspective. When you work your butts off (like they do in Gilmer) and the Coaching Staff does not try to hoard kids just for their sport (like in Gilmer), and when you lift year round (like they do in Gilmer, and when you have a community that totally supports the kids and coaches (like they do in Gilmer) you are going to have success program wide. What is amazing is that SO many places cannot figure that thing out when it is so stinking easy.

Ditto!

I don't know anything about how much money Gilmer is spending compared to other schools but am willing to bet that it is not that much higher than anyone else but that is pure speculation on my part.

I DO know that if I was the Superintendent of ____________ (insert name of school that has historically struggled in athletics and gone through Coaches like a meth head goes through finger nails here) what I would do is load up my School Board and take them to Gilmer and spend a couple of days there visiting with them on how they do things.

It's certainly not other extracurricular programs that get sacrificed. Gilmer has a strong FFA, Band, Drill team, etc. It's also not academics. Every Gilmer Campus has done well with STARS testing. If there is a sacrifice, it's made by the kids and the coaches.

UUHH...No. You might need to go check all your facts on those statements. Not every.