Gilmer Athletic Progrm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly not other extracurricular programs that get sacrificed. Gilmer has a strong FFA, Band, Drill team, etc. It's also not academics. Every Gilmer Campus has done well with STARS testing. If there is a sacrifice, it's made by the kids and the coaches.

And don't forget...16 years in arrow that no athlete, male or female, has been ineligible to play because of grades...& the best Poultry Judging Team in the State...sweet

I would put our high school and Jh test scores against your school any day tell us what your school is and we will compare.

Still waitin to hear what awesome school district you are living in our HS was in top 20 percent in the state and our Jh was in the top 5 percent. There were not very many other schools inEast Texas much higher , don't want to sound arrogant, but I also don't want some dude running our kids down.

Still waitin to hear what awesome school district you are living in our HS was in top 20 percent in the state and our Jh was in the top 5 percent. There were not very many other schools inEast Texas much higher , don't want to sound arrogant, but I also don't want some dude running our kids down.

First of all he didn't, he just said not all of your schools are doing as great as you said. And 2nd, the #### match comparing towns won't happen here. Gilmer is top notch for ETX in most aspects. But you aren't Aledo (yet). ;)

IDK, 20+ coaches @ 35K/yr( I think is WAY on the conservative side) = 700K/yr. TON of $$ The true measure of if it is a worthy investment would be %of athletes that get scholarships AND %that ACTUALLY GRADUATE & complete their degree. That seems to be hard info to come by.

I am the first to admit that there are times when the smugness of certain Gilmer posters hereabouts gets on my nerves.

But if you were to set up one School District in the entire state as a model of how to do things from any perspective my nomination would be Gilmer. They do EVERYTHING first class and are successful at everything.

They are entitled to a little smugness.

And I am still betting that they do not spend much more if any that anyone else on whatever area you want to pick. And even if they do spend more, so what? Most Districts waste a TON of $ on really stupid stuff, usually the same ones that struggle in extracurricular activities. All of this stuff is self perpetuating.

I would say that a "true measure of a worthy investment" would not be available until around 15-20 years from now and we see how many former students from ANY district are living fulfilling lives as good citizens with their own families as opposed to walking the streets and picking up beer cans.

A School Board Member in Queen City gets mad because his son did not get a football scholarship that was to his liking so he instigates the HFC getting fired a year later. Not a true measure of the Coaches abilities IMO.

First of all he didn't, he just said not all of your schools are doing as great as you said. And 2nd, the #### match comparing towns won't happen here. Gilmer is top notch for ETX in most aspects. But you aren't Aledo (yet). ;)

Many of our kids start elementary behind the 8 ball like most East Texas towns with low socioeconomic families do. Gilmer does not use that as an excuse they roll up their sleeves and get to work. The results begin to show by JH. Comparing Gilmer or any small town to aledo is foolish.

And don't forget...16 years in arrow that no athlete, male or female, has been ineligible to play because of grades...& the best Poultry Judging Team in the State...sweet

That's just bad on the teachers... And whoever they feel pressure from

Many of our kids start elementary behind the 8 ball like most East Texas towns with low socioeconomic families do. Gilmer does not use that as an excuse they roll up their sleeves and get to work. The results begin to show by JH. Comparing Gilmer or any small town to aledo is foolish.

I was really just throwing that in there to see if you caught my contradiction from the first sentence. I also put Aledo there bc I am a soon to be resident in 2 weeks with my 5 wonderful children.

I will add this though, when we were looking for housing in Ft Worth, the schools with 40% or more minorities rated some of the lowest in the state. Considering gilmer is pretty diverse and accomplish what they do is impressive

Gilmer is only 33 % minorities. Read some of the reviews on em might give you some insight on how they never fail. Also with as many teams they let in the playoffs now that's not that impressive.

It is funny how you guys hating on Gilmer are embarrassed to mention what town you are from at least our school system has given us something to be proud of. There are other great schools in East Texas too , a few at the top would be Carthage, Atlanta, Van, and Henderson they always do well in academics and extracurricular.

It is funny how you guys hating on Gilmer are embarrassed to mention what town you are from at least our school system has given us something to be proud of. There are other great schools in East Texas too , a few at the top would be Carthage, Atlanta, Van, and Henderson they always do well in academics and extracurricular.

I ain't hatin on my alma mater. A cupcake always tastes good when you put extra icing on top. When the icings all gone, well then, you've just realized you ate it for the icing anyway. Take the icing off. You might be suprised what you get....

And I would not live in any of those towns... but I also hate Marshall, which I am from.

Gilmer is only 33 % minorities. Read some of the reviews on em might give you some insight on how they never fail. Also with as many teams they let in the playoffs now that's not that impressive.

How about a 68-2 record in District Play...when a young man puts on the Orange & Black, there are no minorities...all are the majority & selfless

Come on man! We are talking about 3A! 3A is like practice man! Practice!

[/quote

Congrats to Gilmer on winning the 4A Regional Track Meet. I wonder how our relays would stack up against the mighty Marshall Mavericks 5A team?

Come on man! We are talking about 3A! 3A is like practice man! Practice![/quoteCongrats to Gilmer on winning the 4A Regional Track Meet. I wonder how our relays would stack up against the mighty Marshall Mavericks 5A team?

I live in Georgia right now... So trying to smack talk me about Marshall athletics is like peeing in the wind... You can come up with a much better idea.