STAAR Testing and Play-offs

Are any other schoosl having to change their play-off schedules in baseball and softball? At Hallsville both the softball and baseball teams were told that they could not play on Thursday due to STAAR Testing. I have posted the changes on the 15-5A Baseball and Softball thread. I was just wondering because I have not seen or heard any other series being moved from Thursday

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how I made through school in the early 80's without these types of standardize tests?

Exactly. I am amazed at what kids do NOT learn or know in school these days. My wife is an educator and she cannot wait to get out of the profession. While she loves kids and the teaching aspect of it she abhors the testing and administrative requirements of the present school system.

Play ball!

I think taking the test in 4th graders is a bit much. But, for every degree and certification I've ever obtained, it's always required me to take a test. I also had to take a test so I could legally drive a motor vehicle. Waive everything??

I think taking the test in 4th graders is a bit much. But, for every degree and certification I've ever obtained, it's always required me to take a test. I also had to take a test so I could legally drive a motor vehicle. Waive everything??

They can't opt out of STAAR unless they homeschool.....I don't know where wildthang got his information....

Why wouldn't the coaches know that before scheduling the series? Just curious.

The UIL site was very misleading until this week when they added specific wording (see *asterisk portion of their website) to read that no games can be scheduled the day that any student on campus takes STAAR. There are 3 tests administered this week: U.S. History, Algebra 1, and Biology, so most schools scheduled them for Mon-Tues-Wed. However, STAAR tests can be made up due to student absence on scheduled test dates so you could have students testing through Friday's window. Wednesday dates were definitely a no-no. I'm skeptical about Thursday being legal. I see that some series are switching to Friday-Saturday. Of course, the rain could make all that a mute point anyway.

Before this week, the test wording merely referenced "area, regional, and state competition" so many coaches and administrators, rightly so, assumed district and bi-district games were exempt from scheduling restrictions as long as the two schools mutually agreed to the playoff dates.

The changeover in testing from TAKS to STAAR has caused lots of confusion about athletic scheduling. I wouldn't blame this one on the coaches.

The UIL site was very misleading until this week when they added specific wording (see *asterisk portion of their website) to read that no games can be scheduled the day that any student on campus takes STAAR. There are 3 tests administered this week: U.S. History, Algebra 1, and Biology, so most schools scheduled them for Mon-Tues-Wed. However, STAAR tests can be made up due to student absence on scheduled test dates so you could have students testing through Friday's window. Wednesday dates were definitely a no-no. I'm skeptical about Thursday being legal. I see that some series are switching to Friday-Saturday. Of course, the rain could make all that a mute point anyway.

Before this week, the test wording merely referenced "area, regional, and state competition" so many coaches and administrators, rightly so, assumed district and bi-district games were exempt from scheduling restrictions as long as the two schools mutually agreed to the playoff dates.

The changeover in testing from TAKS to STAAR has caused lots of confusion about athletic scheduling. I wouldn't blame this one on the coaches.

So once again, the government has found a way to screw up a good thing. Thank you, Ted Kennedy and George W. Bush!

You're a little skewed in your facts there Bulldog ... the original testing craze started with H. Ross Perot pushing education reform in 1982 along the American business model when Bill Clements was governor. True enough, the TEAMS test, the product of Perot's "idea" was formalized with Gov. White, the testing insanity was part of Gov. Bush's "No Child Left Behind" foolishness (Tass , tala and now staar) His proposals and much of the legislation was written by Pearson who were major and are major donors of the Texas GOP move to privatize and dismantle public education. Texas under GOP leadership in the governors office and legislature leadership gets $90,000,000 from Texas while BILLIONS were cut in actual education expenditures. I find it hard to believe that you are in public education. Do you support Sen. Donna Campbell's statement that public education is a monstrosity and a monopoly? Do you support Lt. gov. Stance that pre-k public school classrooms are godless ? Do you support your pay being tied to test scores? The hikes in TRS insurance, the cutting of TRS state contributions? All of these ideas are national and state gop educational policies straight from their platforms