15-5A Pre-season Chatter

Mavchamp

Darius sr year. Even aaron franklin missed that year because of knee injury. He came back the next year and earned a sooner scholly though. It was 2008 that went bad. Class of 2009. We lost a ton of talent before the season started. In my mind that was supose to be the team to end the lobo streak.

I was the athletic trainer that year. The training room stayed full. I was patching up Darius week to week, seemed like we had constant ankle and shoulder injuries. I think if we started with Fitz at QB from week 1, 08 would have been better. Not bc Fitz was better, but it added a new dynamic with Darius as a huge speed threat at slot. I think we lost 3 Srs to season ending injuries and had quite a few lingering injuries that never went away.

As i stated earlier it was 2008. So its the 2005 freshmen i was refering to. Class of 2009. In no way am I upset with our 2009 team. We went 3 rounds deep and should have beaten Denison. Also, took it to Texas High and SS in district that year.

I thought SS played us tough in 09... but that was probably 08...

Bit off on that one.

No Longview team has lost to Marshall on any level since 2005 (seniors on 2009 team would've been fish in 2006)...

http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144767&page=4&do=findComment&comment=2116193

Marshall went undefeated at the freshman level in 2005 the year we got blasted by HP in the state game including Longview beat you all pretty handily at Maverick Stadium that year there was a plaque in the field house that recognized the season at one point

That group of freshmen was special. I have yet to see another freshman team that loaded. Not just marshall but east texas. Think some of them got a little too big headed after that year. The offense could score so many ways and anytime they wanted to it seemed. Defense was hard hitting. The freshmen had a relay team that could have beaten 90 percent of east texas varsity relay teams.

Marshall went undefeated at the freshman level in 2005 the year we got blasted by HP in the state game including Longview beat you all pretty handily at Maverick Stadium that year there was a plaque in the field house that recognized the season at one point

There was a plaque recognizing a freshmen undefeated season? 0_0

There was a plaque recognizing a freshmen undefeated season? 0_0

Yeap a small one no bigger than the ones they hand out at team banquets.. not some huge shrine like deal lol I think it was to remind that group of their potential mostly I doubt its still there

That group of freshmen was special. I have yet to see another freshman team that loaded. Not just marshall but east texas. Think some of them got a little too big headed after that year. The offense could score so many ways and anytime they wanted to it seemed. Defense was hard hitting. The freshmen had a relay team that could have beaten 90 percent of east texas varsity relay teams.

Darius Dameon and KD were like the triplets they definitely were told they were the best thing since sliced bread starting in junior high KD quit multiple times because he thought he shouldn't have to split carries with Andrew Clough

Darius Dameon and KD were like the triplets they definitely were told they were the best thing since sliced bread starting in junior high KD quit multiple times because he thought he shouldn't have to split carries with Andrew Clough

Talk about Emmitt Smith talent and the work ethic of a sloth...

And I loved that kid. He was nice, funny, and fun to be around. But if he put any effort into school and football he would have been playing at a major program without a doubt.

Talk about Emmitt Smith talent and the work ethic of a sloth...

And I loved that kid. He was nice, funny, and fun to be around. But if he put any effort into school and football he would have been playing at a major program without a doubt.

I vaguely remember Clough. Do not remember the other two. Which one had the Emmitt Smith talent? Marshall has had some really nice RB's through the years.

I vaguely remember Clough. Do not remember the other two. Which one had the Emmitt Smith talent? Marshall has had some really nice RB's through the years.

KD was #22 Darius and Dameon played QB and WR respectively they both had offers from SEC and Big 12 teams, Darius was the only one that got to sign Dameon sat out his senior year for off the field troubles and that was that...

http://www.marshallmavericks.net

Got the Maverick Website (mostly) updated. Still got some work to do on it in the next few weeks.

Still need to update the team and staff photos. I'll get that done after media day.

Will post the game capsule for the season opener a little closer to game day.

But most of it is up and running.

Always open to suggestions. Thanks!

Michael Ross earned his spot about 5 seconds into the spring game.

One of the better spring game performances I've seen from a Longview QB in a few seasons. Big sleeper in East Texas, all I'll say.

Not mention that he arguably was the best QB on the roster last season. He transferred to Longview from Lee during last summer, after spring ball. So he didn't know the playbook very well. The one reason he didn't start last season imo.

One of the better spring game performances I've seen from a Longview QB in a few seasons. Big sleeper in East Texas, all I'll say.

Not mention that he arguably was the best QB on the roster last season. He transferred to Longview from Lee during last summer, after spring ball. So he didn't know the playbook very well. The one reason he didn't start last season imo.

patrice.png

I'm surprised Texarkana isn't getting more talk........

Of course, Texas High had a Super Bowl kind of night against us last season according to Tiger fans I spoke to, but they appear to me to be loaded headed into this season.

I need to see VAST improvement for the Mav defense over last season for me to pick them any higher than 3rd. JMHO.

A vote for SS shocks me too. But history says they will reload not rebuild...... but sheeeeesh. That's about as much as you can lose from one season to the next as any team can. Hard for me to put them ahead of Hallsville and Marshall seeing what they both have coming back.

Should be a fun race for 2nd-4th place...... ugh.

coaches poll has longview at 5 and the only other school receiving votes was SS......thought that was kind of shocking when i first looked at it, was expecting to see marshall or t-high maybe.

Where can you see this poll? or Who are 1-10 or even higher?

I'm surprised Texarkana isn't getting more talk........

Of course, Texas High had a Super Bowl kind of night against us last season according to Tiger fans I spoke to, but they appear to me to be loaded headed into this season.

I need to see VAST improvement for the Mav defense over last season for me to pick them any higher than 3rd. JMHO.

A vote for SS shocks me too. But history says they will reload not rebuild...... but sheeeeesh. That's about as much as you can lose from one season to the next as any team can. Hard for me to put them ahead of Hallsville and Marshall seeing what they both have coming back.

Should be a fun race for 2nd-4th place...... ugh.

How did SS receive any votes? This will be one of the few losing seasons for Owens this year. I understand SS and their past but they have nothing. Nothing on JV and nothing returning. Texas High or Marshall deserve that vote if anything.

Thanks. Figured he would be the guy.

I know there will be future threads as the season gets closer, but I'm interested in seeing some early thoughts on 15-5A opening night games.

Game of the Week: Lufkin Vs. Longview

Runner up GOTW: Texas High Vs. Whitehouse

Not a snoozer: Hallsville Vs. Carthage

Marshall Vs. Royse City

Rockwall Heath Vs. Sulphur Springs

North Garland Vs. Greenville

Jacksonville Vs. Pine Tree

Mount Pleasant Vs. Paris

I know there will be future threads as the season gets closer, but I'm interested in seeing some early thoughts on 15-5A opening night games.

Marshall Vs. Royse City

Rockwall Heath Vs. Sulphur Springs

North Garland Vs. Greenville

Jacksonville Vs. Pine Tree

Mount Pleasant Vs. Paris

No doubt about it. Here are my predictions: