'Rush' Drummer Who Praised Ayn Rand Now Pounds Rand Paul

Wild74

'Rush' Drummer Who Praised Ayn Rand Now Pounds Rand Paul

Ashley Rae Goldenberg | June 19, 2015 2:33pm ET
Shares
TwitterFacebookMore

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-19%20at%203.04.0

Neil Peart, the drummer behind the band Rush, has made it known that, as a "bleeding-heart libertarian," he encourages people to support Democrats.

From songs decrying forced legislated equality to songs denouncing "begging hands and bleeding hearts," Rush’s lyrics, written primarily by Peart, have strong libertarian themes. In the liner notes for the album “2112,” Rush evenacknowledged "the genius of Ayn Rand."

Now, in an interview with Rolling Stone, Peart reveals his ideology has shifted.

Rolling Stone notes that Peart's newfound beliefs appear to prioritize the "bleeding-heart" aspect over the "libertarian" one.

Speaking of the libertarian-oriented Senator Rand Paul, a 2016 presidential candidate, Peart allegedly told Rolling Stone it is "very obvious” that Paul "hates women and brown people.”

During Paul's 2010 senatorial campaign, his campaign utilized Rush's liberty-oriented songs to spread the message and rally the base. This prompted the band toissue a cease-and-desist letter.

According to the Rolling Stone interview, Rush also sent a cease-and-desist letter to Paul in order to stop him from merely quoting Rush’s song, "The Trees," in his speeches.

Peart, who recently became a United States citizen, told Rolling Stone, "For a person of my sensibility, you're only left with the Democratic party."

In the interview, Peart also added his thoughts on religion and policy: "If you're a compassionate person at all. The whole health-care thing — denying mercy to suffering people? What? This is Christian?"

Those washed up old #### still trying to be teenagers need to be seen and not heard.....isn't there an old folks home or a sanitarium that'll let these pinkos in so they can get some much needed rest????

I agree but they don't want to go....How can you go from a Libertarian to a democRAT, he seems very confused, probably the onset of alzheimer's...:)

I might have liked Rush if not for the lead singer. I would rather hear Rosanne Barr sing

That's where most people get turned off, but the lyrics and musical prowess equaled some serious concept albums.

Kinda like Anthony Newly; That poor guy couldn't carry a tune in a cattle truck!

*in a bucket*?

Hell I had to go to the internet to find anything on this guy. If he wrote "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" I know who this guy is. :D Otherwise he sounds like someone who wrote songs for Disney

*in a bucket*?

Hell I had to go to the internet to find anything on this guy. If he wrote "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" I know who this guy is. :D Otherwise he sounds like someone who wrote songs for Disney

Give "Gonna Climb a Mountain" a whirl... Dude sings like a hinge...😖