Cuba

Guatemala

Mexico

Trinidad & Tobago

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top two from each group advance to the knockout rounds, as well as the top two third place finishers. So yes, group play exists to eliminate all of four teams.

The winner of this tournament will face the United States (2013 champs) in a playoff for the right to go to the 2017 Confederations Cup (essentially a mini-World Cup). Obviously if the US wins the Gold Cup then that's moot and we qualify immediately for the thing.

Why you should care: this is the one soccer competition where the US is actually a big dog and that's a fun treat. If the US wins then we have bragging rights over Mexico, which is an inherent good. Also the Confed Cup is a very nice perk.

US plays its first game on the 7th against Honduras in Frisco.

Top two from each group advance to the knockout rounds, as well as the top two third place finishers. So yes, group play exists to eliminate all of four teams.

The winner of this tournament will face the United States (2013 champs) in a playoff for the right to go to the 2017 Confederations Cup (essentially a mini-World Cup). Obviously if the US wins the Gold Cup then that's moot and we qualify immediately for the thing.

Why you should care: this is the one soccer competition where the US is actually a big dog and that's a fun treat. If the US wins then we have bragging rights over Mexico, which is an inherent good. Also the Confed Cup is a very nice perk.

US plays its first game on the 7th against Honduras in Frisco.

The USA should be the absolute favorites in this. The Red White and Blue have played well lately against top countries and Mexico has been reeling lately. One of the Mexican stars was just injured and will miss the entire Gold Cup.

If I remember right, if the USA wins this, wouldn't it make their 3rd in a row?

No, it would just be two in a row (and sixth overall, which would tie us with Mexico). We struggled our way to the 2011 final and blew an early 2 goal lead against Mexico to lose 4-2. It was the game which got Bob Bradley fired.

Incidentally, Bradley is managing a club in Norway called Stabaek and they are playing way above expectations, currently sitting in second place. There's some hope that if he can see that through then maybe he'll be able to break into the English leagues or something.

US beat Guatemala 4-0 today in their one and only tune-up for the Gold Cup. Despite the margin it wasn't an entirely convincing performance, didn't really look like the boys were quite all on the same page. But they won and nobody got hurt and they got a little work in, that's the main thing.

US escapes with a 2-1 win over Honduras. Two set piece goals for Dempsey. We created very little from the run of play which is disappointing. Got the three points though, it's the main thing.

Haiti got a late goal to tie Panama 1-1 in the early game, so the group A standings are:

US - 3

Haiti - 1

Panama - 1

Honduras - 0

Honduras plays Panama next while the USA takes on Haiti Friday night in Boston. A win would qualify us for the next round, and a win combined with a tie in the other game would win the group.

US escapes with a 2-1 win over Honduras. Two set piece goals for Dempsey. We created very little from the run of play which is disappointing. Got the three points though, it's the main thing.

Haiti got a late goal to tie Panama 1-1 in the early game, so the group A standings are:

US - 3

Haiti - 1

Panama - 1

Honduras - 0

Honduras plays Panama next while the USA takes on Haiti Friday night in Boston. A win would qualify us for the next round, and a win combined with a tie in the other game would win the group.

I don't follow CONCAF as much during non WC qualifying, but isn't Honduras the 2nd best squad in our group?

Honduras is a young and very talented group. We were lucky to escape with a win because honduras controlled the game and created more chances. Lucky for the US they just couldn't finish in the final third. They made the world cup last year so they are def not a door mat of a team. US just has not continuity right now. I think the last 4 Friendly games have had a different 11 everything. Hard to gel as a team.

I don't follow CONCAF as much during non WC qualifying, but isn't Honduras the 2nd best squad in our group?

I think Panama would've been slight favorites to take that second spot, but not after what I saw yesterday. Honduras - Panama should be very interesting.

We were lucky to escape with a win because honduras controlled the game and created more chances.

Yeah they did, and that's disappointing at home. Fortunately they were settling for a bunch of long range shots for most of the early part of the match.

Costa Rica and Jamaicia finish in a 2-2 tie in what was a fantastic game to watch. Jamaica was outstanding in the second half, feel like they probably deserved to win.

Pretty boring group stage. USA essentially locked up a bid to the knockout stage in match 1. Now they pretty much just need a point to advance. Maybe they can get their groove in match 2 and 3.

Canada and El Salvador round out group B play with a scoreless draw in what was the worst match of the tournament so far. Not because there weren't any goals, 'cause there should've been ... Canada's Cyle Larin (plays for Orlando City SC in MLS) was through on goal, rounded the keeper, and then hilariously shot a mile high and wide of the empty net ... but just because both teams ####. If Costa Rica doesn't bounce back with a couple wins something is really wrong.

Canada 1

Costa Rica 1

El Salvador 1

Jamaica 1

Yeah, no drama in Group C today as Trinidad & Tobago used three early goals to coast to a 3-1 win over Guatemala, while Mexico crushed Cuba by a 6-0 score. I only watched a few minutes of the first half, gotta think that Mexico was being kind only winning by six. Heard that Cuba also had a guy defect. (Not that having all their people would've helped them any.)

Mexico 3

T&T 3

Guatemala 0

Cuba 0

I don't know if they were being kind. I watched the whole game, and Mexico was sending guys forward and counter attacking all night. They just couldn't finish. Honestly I think I could have played for Cuba's back line.... just clear the ball...good grief.