Longhorns 2015 Thread

Baron

I honestly don't expect Clarington to get in, but it's because of things I've heard and seen over the last couple weeks.

As for Cherry, I think he's finding out that college ball is harder than high school ball. He can hang but he isn't walking in and taking anyone's job like he was tweeting all summer.

I honestly don't expect Clarington to get in, but it's because of things I've heard and seen over the last couple weeks.

As for Cherry, I think he's finding out that college ball is harder than high school ball. He can hang but he isn't walking in and taking anyone's job like he was tweeting all summer.

That's the problem with too many high school kids these days. My hey forget that they weren't the best player on varsity as a freshman and how they had to work to get there. Today's coaches, family, friends and fans tell athletes how great they are and forget to remind them how hard they had to work to get yo where they are.

• Like 1

@BDavisAAS: Texas LB Cecil Cherry's father tells me they have asked for transfer papers to leave UT. We have to do whats best for us. @statesman

Also hearing that the rift started because he wanted #3 and was given #52!

If he's getting pissy because of a #, then let him walk!

My thoughts as well! If it was an oline or dline I'd be more upset but I like our current LBs and the guys I believe we sign in the 2016 class.

I was very excited about him early on. I really thought he'd be a great addition and a really hard hitter. But if he's already throwing a fit over a jersey number, it's only a matter of time before he gets a bad attitude about something else. Don't need that kind of attitude.

I bet that's the reason why he is leaving. Malik seems to be one of those game changers types guys. I doubt jersey # or homesick excuse was the final straw.

Jersey # is where it started, that was a quote from Cherry himself. He also stated he wasn't a fit in the program which is why he decided to transfer.

Cherry committed well before Malik and even then Malik was supposed to be a OLB but after 3 practices with Malik running first team MLB, Cgerry wanted out.

Jersey # is where it started, that was a quote from Cherry himself. He also stated he wasn't a fit in the program which is why he decided to transfer.

Cherry committed well before Malik and even then Malik was supposed to be a OLB but after 3 practices with Malik running first team MLB, Cgerry wanted out.

The #### a HC has to deal with is worth the salary alone.

I have no doubt Malik can succeed anywhere he plays, but isn't his talent somewhat weakened at Mike? He is a BEAST outside. Could be extremely effective in space and rushes the passer well.

I honestly think they are training him at multiple positions. If/when santos and cole get back they'll play some in the middle. Definite passing situations santos and cole aren't the best and Malik can man that if needed. I think they are gonna move him around a lot

I have no doubt Malik can succeed anywhere he plays, but isn't his talent somewhat weakened at Mike? He is a BEAST outside. Could be extremely effective in space and rushes the passer well.

Against ND Texas will use 3 LBs with Malik in the middle after that it'll be mostly 2 LBs in the nickel defense.

Malik is up to 240 at the start of camp 5 days ago and still recorded a top ten 40 time on the team.

He and Edwin Freeman are going to be fun to watch run sideline to sideline.

It's looking like Malik will start at Mike and Cherry wasn't beating out Malik.

He was a very exciting talker and I had high hopes that he would back up his talk and bring some nasty to the defense but you're right. He would've only gotten worse.

I think there are several factors here. The biggest is his father not wanting him at Texas. Then there was the jersey issue followed by Strong basically telling him to put up or shut up. Malik starting at MLB was the last straw I would assume. Too bad this young man can't handle the curveballs life throws at you. He is just showing that all of his tweets about making a difference don't mean a thing anymore.

Multiple reports out now that Catalon is leaving as well. His departure is simple depth chart reasons.

He's got Gray, Foreman, and now Warren in front of him. He was getting minimal carries.

I think this attrition is something Longhorn fans should probably get used to while Strong and Co are in charge.

I think this attrition is something Longhorn fans should probably get used to while Strong and Co are in charge.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the vast majority of players are Charlie's guys.

I will honestly be ok with it if the on field results are there. Because that would mean Strong is making the right personnel decisions and those who leave basically don't cut the bill.

Now if the on field results don't ever get there, and the attrition still happens...I don't know yet, that's for a couple of seasons down the road.

I agree, good players are going to get passed by younger, better players and they won't like that. Catalon looked great in the spring and Warren gets here in June and has passed him already.

Wickline likes to look at various combinations to see who can play multiple spots

Which I think is smart.

When Sherman was recruiting offensive line talent, he wouldn't take a kid that could only play 1 spot. If you didn't have the ability to play either tackle and guard or guard and center he didn't look your way much. I mean A&M just had a LT drafted in the first round this year that played 1 season at LG, 1 season at RG, 1 season at RT and 1 season at LT. Same thing is happening with multiple lineman across the Aggie team over the last 5 years. I think Wickline is doing a very smart thing in cross training guys at various spots and combinations to see what works out.