Longhorns 2015 Thread

Baron

For what it's worth...the kid one 3 state championships in back to back to back years in the most physically demanding division in the nation. I don't think he missed a single game

He also attended the largest high school in the state per UIL enrollment numbers. With nearly 6,000 students, Allen is more than twice as big as other perennial playoff contenders such as Lake Travis and Westlake and almost twice as big as Katy. Plano and Plano West are the only other two schools with enrollments above 5,000. Most 6A schools fall below the 3,000 mark. If 50% of the enrollment is male, it's not that hard to find 22 guys that can play football out of 3,000. Murray is a very gifted athlete, but he had the best OL in the state during his run. Watching him play for the Aggies it was evident that he was used to just throwing it up and his guys would go get it. Murray didn't expect safeties to have the speed that they did in college. Winning state championships doesn't always carry over to toughness or success in college football where the playing field is much more equal. Gilbert from Lake Travis is another good example. Gilbert only had to read one side of the ball pre-snap to be successful at Travis. That does not carry over to college.

Kind of surprising, I know Texas coaches were trying to get him to stay another year but he has the tools to have a good career in the league!

Best of luck to him! Horns Up!

I can't help but think he is making a mistake. But good luck to the young man. I hope he has success at the next level.

I can't help but think he is making a mistake. But good luck to the young man. I hope he has success at the next level.

I think you're right. He has the ability but another year is needed. He may be a 3-4 round guy fright now, but with a good sr year he could be a 1st rounder.

IMO, DTs should always go pro first chance they get. Most DTs are about as good as they are gonna get by their 3rd year in the program anyway. Another year of double teams in college doesn't really change your draft status. The edge rushers are the ones who typically can improve their draft stock the most.

IMO, DTs should always go pro first chance they get. Most DTs are about as good as they are gonna get by their 3rd year in the program anyway. Another year of double teams in college doesn't really change your draft status. The edge rushers are the ones who typically can improve their draft stock the most.

I actually agree with this to a certain extent. I am all for kids staying and getting a degree, but when you definitely have a future in the sport at the next level, you need to jump on it and take it. For those guys in the trenches, you are pretty much as far along as you are gonna get at both interior and edge positions. It's not like you are gonna get more touches and/or targets like offensive skill guys get. And your chances to make plays are gonna go down tremendously because people will either run away from you or send 2-3 blockers at you every play.

Brent Thibodeaux

I've confirmed with multiple sources that Texas TE/ST coach Jeff Traylor has spoken with #TXST and will interview for the HC job.

Saw somewhere with his bump in pay at UT that he actually makes more now than what Texas State HC pays , could be wrong though? I think this is to get experience on down the line when he'll go for a big time OC position IMO. Seen other candidates are Houston Nutt , Paul Rhodes , and Tim Brewster.

Saw somewhere with his bump in pay at UT that he actually makes more now than what Texas State HC pays , could be wrong though? I think this is to get experience on down the line when he'll go for a big time OC position IMO. Seen other candidates are Houston Nutt , Paul Rhodes , and Tim Brewster.

Fran was making $475K

I don't know what Traylors raise was but I wouldn't be surprised if it was up there with what Fran was getting.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas confirms Johnathan Gray had surgery today for torn left Achilles, as @AutulloAAS first reported.

I hate that. It basically ended any pro chances he had IMHO. This is a point in his life where he decides if he wants to coach or use his degree. I, personally, would leverage UT system for support after destroying his career ;).

Texas confirms Johnathan Gray had surgery today for torn left Achilles, as @AutulloAAS first reported.

Tough break for Gray! I don't he had much of a shot at a pro career but I wish he had the shot to prove me wrong.

He was showcased in one of the all-access pieces that the LHN does throughout the season and I believe he wants to be a physical trainer.

I hate that. It basically ended any pro chances he had IMHO. This is a point in his life where he decides if he wants to coach or use his degree. I, personally, would leverage UT system for support after destroying his career ;).

Wasn't part of the allure at the time for Gray to come to UT was for him to share time at RB (with Malcolm Brown) in order to save himself for the NFL?

Wasn't part of the allure at the time for Gray to come to UT was for him to share time at RB (with Malcolm Brown) in order to save himself for the NFL?

I kid when i say Texas destroyed his career... Injuries are what really destroyed his career... That, and a horrid offensive line.