Longhorns 2015 Thread

Baron

Well done getting that kid in! Sorry I doubted. For the kids sake, these sort of things I am actually happy I'm wrong about.

He's still not in. His ACT score is being investigated after he was cleared.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about several young guys...

Kris Boyd and DeVante Davis have been very impressive and should see significant playing time.

Malik Jefferson (of course), DeAndre McNeal, and Charles Omenihu have all been very good as well, but they are saying the best incoming freshman may very well be John Burt. He's reportedly getting a lot of 1st team reps as well.

The player being considered the steal (mostly due to such a low ranking) of recruiting is Breckyn Hager. He's been moved from DE to ILB and with Jefferson now inside, he obviously will not start, but should also see significant playing time.

Chris Warren has also been very impressive.

And of course, Patrick Vahe continues to impress and looks like he will take the starting job away from Marcus Hutchins.

Most exciting thing of all of this, at least in my opinion. is every one of these guys are true freshman!

I'm hearing a lot of good things about several young guys...

Kris Boyd and DeVante Davis have been very impressive and should see significant playing time.

Malik Jefferson (of course), DeAndre McNeal, and Charles Omenihu have all been very good as well, but they are saying the best incoming freshman may very well be John Burt. He's reportedly getting a lot of 1st team reps as well.

The player being considered the steal (mostly due to such a low ranking) of recruiting is Breckyn Hager. He's been moved from DE to ILB and with Jefferson now inside, he obviously will not start, but should also see significant playing time.

Chris Warren has also been very impressive.

And of course, Patrick Vahe continues to impress and looks like he will take the starting job away from Marcus Hutchins.

Most exciting thing of all of this, at least in my opinion. is every one of these guys are true freshman!

Dont forget Conner Williams , he's pretty much stating RT

@AutulloAAS: Strong concedes the obvious that Tyrone Swoopes has put some distance between himself and Jerrod Heard at QB.

Doesn't surprise me. All the reports early in camp had swoopes taking all the first team reps. To me that means he won it and it wasn't a competition.

My ignorance for UT football is showing with this question, but Did Kai get redshirted? If not why is he not in the QB discussion?

Kai will likely RS. There have been reports of him picking up the playbook very well but he is behind both Swoopes and Heard in the passing game.

I have heard one report saying Merrick is the most accurate QB on a consistent basis.

Things will get very interesting for Kai, Merrick, and Heard (if he can't win the job this year) when Buchele gets on campus for the spring semester!

I don't think Kai was ever going to play QB at the div 1 level. His offers were for a athlete. Hell he even played WR in the all star game he was in... I don't think he was anywhere near offer worthy as a qb, but I think Texas offered him at "qb" trying to quiet some of the naysayers about their qb recruiting. A 4 star "qb" looks better than not signing one (when Merrick was a gray shirt.)

Point is, I don't think Texas cements a starter this season. Wouldn't surprise me to see Heard, Swoopes and Merrick get snaps this season to try and win the job but ultimately neither does and this qb battle continues into next season... Under a new OC.

I don't think Kai was ever going to play QB at the div 1 level. His offers were for a athlete. Hell he even played WR in the all star game he was in... I don't think he was anywhere near offer worthy as a qb, but I think Texas offered him at "qb" trying to quiet some of the naysayers about their qb recruiting. A 4 star "qb" looks better than not signing one (when Merrick was a gray shirt.)

Point is, I don't think Texas cements a starter this season. Wouldn't surprise me to see Heard, Swoopes and Merrick get snaps this season to try and win the job but ultimately neither does and this qb battle continues into next season... Under a new OC.

I think Kai would get a shot at QB this season before Merrick. Although Merrick has shown nice accuracy they are having to retool side arm throwing motion.

Now Kai may move to WR in the spring after Buchelr arrives but as long as he is 3rd on the depth chart he'll stick at QB.