Longhorns 2015 Thread

Baron

@max_olson: Texas TE signee Devonaire Clarington says he got verdict from NCAA: he'll need to retake ACT.

And here is where this saga might end... Not saying the kids a cheat, but I read somewhere he made a 26 on it and that's what the question is about. A 26 is pretty decent. That's top 20% in the country decent. I find that one to be a stretch considering his background. I could understand a fluke high sat score because those you get rewarded for guessing, but the act is not that way.

And here is where this saga might end... Not saying the kids a cheat, but I read somewhere he made a 26 on it and that's what the question is about. A 26 is pretty decent. That's top 20% in the country decent. I find that one to be a stretch considering his background. I could understand a fluke high sat score because those you get rewarded for guessing, but the act is not that way.

Tell us what you know about his background.

Tell us what you know about his background.

A south Florida kid that has been in 4 different high schools in 4 years. Hes had a lot on him in high school. I know that can't be easy. The average ACT for ALL students in Florida is a 19. A 26 would put him in the top 10% of all of Florida high school students. I'm not trying to bash the kid at all, but how many times have you seen a young African American male from south Florida who has attended 4 different high schools in 4 years score in the top 10 percentile of his class on the ACT.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm simply going off what everyone outside the Texas fan base is wondering. There's a reason why none of the Florida schools wanted this kid. It wasn't that he couldn't play, it's that his academics where sketchy as hell.

What is the "minimum" you have to score to get into Texas?

As an athlete I think 18 is the minimum for all schools across the country.

Clarington says he plans to retake the test and enroll at Texas in January.

Despite what our good friend WETSU is saying Clarington has a very nice offer list, including all the Florida schools and every SEC west school except ATM. Seems as though he was wanted by quite a few!

A south Florida kid that has been in 4 different high schools in 4 years. Hes had a lot on him in high school. I know that can't be easy. The average ACT for ALL students in Florida is a 19. A 26 would put him in the top 10% of all of Florida high school students. I'm not trying to bash the kid at all, but how many times have you seen a young African American male from south Florida who has attended 4 different high schools in 4 years score in the top 10 percentile of his class on the ACT.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm simply going off what everyone outside the Texas fan base is wondering. There's a reason why none of the Florida schools wanted this kid. It wasn't that he couldn't play, it's that his academics where sketchy as hell.

As an athlete I think 18 is the minimum for all schools across the country.

So you know just about what everybody else knows about his background other than he went to 4-5 different high schools. Thanks

Despite what our good friend WETSU is saying Clarington has a very nice offer list, including all the Florida schools and every SEC west school except ATM. Seems as though he was wanted by quite a few!

lol

What does his offer list have to do with his ACT score?

Sorry missed that part.

Since when has a Florida school ever cared about academics in a recruit lol.

Exactly. A top 5 national TE that doesn't have an offer from any of the big Florida 3? Yea right.

Everyone knew from the get go this kid would need a lot of help to get in.

I don't understand why so many Texas fans are taking this as a slight. It's not meant to be. The kid is a baller. But you're being naive if you don't think academics are part of why none of the Florida schools would touch him. I said the day he committed Texas would struggle to get him in and all the Texas fans nailed me to a post saying it was sour grapes. Now here we are, 3 weeks into practice and you're seeing what I've been tellin you all along. The kid was a mess academically. Nobody can deny that. And everyone outside of burnt orange nation can see how sketchy his academics look.

School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by Texas COMMITTED (01/03/2015) Offered 11/07/2014 Alabama None Offered None Arkansas None Offered None Auburn None Offered None Florida None Offered None Florida St. None Offered None Georgia None Offered None Illinois None Offered None Kentucky None Offered None Louisville None Offered None LSU None Offered None Marshall None Offered None Miami (FL) None Offered None Paul Williams Michigan None Offered None Mississippi None Offered None Mississippi St. None Offered None Notre Dame None Offered None Tony Alford Purdue None Offered None South Carolina None Offered None South Florida None Offered None Temple None Offered None Tennessee None Offered None UCF None Offered None USC None Offered None

Just putting this up there to clarify what schools offered him. WET did you have a typo saying none of the Florida schools wanted him?

And as far as offers go, those were pre qualification looks. Nearly every team stopped recruiting him late in the process. Don't believe me? Look it up. The Florida schools and all the sec west dropped this kid early in his senior year. If not before. I remember because I looked it up because it was comical the amount of love that "Florida 5" was getting and how every Texas fan was rooting for strong like he had pulled in the best kids in Florida. I simply laughed and said back when the 5 committed they would be lucky to get 2 of them on campus. Here I am, 10 months later, validated in that claim.

School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by Texas COMMITTED (01/03/2015) Offered 11/07/2014 Alabama None Offered None Arkansas None Offered None Auburn None Offered None Florida None Offered None Florida St. None Offered None Georgia None Offered None Illinois None Offered None Kentucky None Offered None Louisville None Offered None LSU None Offered None Marshall None Offered None Miami (FL) None Offered None Paul Williams Michigan None Offered None Mississippi None Offered None Mississippi St. None Offered None Notre Dame None Offered None Tony Alford Purdue None Offered None South Carolina None Offered None South Florida None Offered None Temple None Offered None Tennessee None Offered None UCF None Offered None USC None Offered None

Just putting this up there to clarify what schools offered him. WET did you have a typo saying none of the Florida schools wanted him?

No I meant "real offers." Like If I wanted I could actually go there. This kid wasn't even still hearing from the majority of the schools that offered. When he committed it was like he sat down and chose between bama fsu, Florida and Texas. It was Texas and a few of the smaller schools he "chose" between because everyone else had conceded him a grad risk.

No I meant "real offers." Like If I wanted I could actually go there. This kid wasn't even still hearing from the majority of the schools that offered. When he committed it was like he sat down and chose between bama fsu, Florida and Texas. It was Texas and a few of the smaller schools he "chose" between because everyone else had conceded him a grad risk.

His final four were Texas,Miami,LSU and Florida if I remember right. Florida may have stopped showing big time interest at the end because of the coaching changes.

I'm sorry. Just pulled up Florida was in his finalist. Florida Texas and South Florida.

Fsu is the school I remember reading dropped him for grades. I'm looking for the link now.

But it's all irrelevant who offered the kid. I was still right when I said he would be hard to get in. I don't understand why this is an issue? You guys are gonna "brag" about a kid who might (probably) won't even get on campus but because you signed him it's an accomplishment?

I'm sorry. Just pulled up Florida was in his finalist. Florida Texas and South Florida.

Fsu is the school I remember reading dropped him for grades. I'm looking for the link now.

But it's all irrelevant who offered the kid. I was still right when I said he would be hard to get in. I don't understand why this is an issue? You guys are gonna "brag" about a kid who might (probably) won't even get on campus but because you signed him it's an accomplishment?

Now I know you are pulling "facts" out of your butt. FSU never stops recruiting a kid because of a potential grade problem.

Now I know you are pulling "facts" out of your butt. FSU never stops recruiting a kid because of a potential grade problem.

Not what their mods were saying WEEKS before his commitment. Same for Miami. Miami mods were reporting they stopped recruiting this kid before his commitment.

Why would I lie about this? I'm trying to dig up some old mods on 24/7 with their reports on it. I predicted back in the winter this kid wasn't getting in. Where do you think that came from? You think I just made it up because of sour grapes or something? I got it because that's what Miami and FSU mods were reporting long before his commitment anywhere.

Like I said though. What difference does it make who he committed to or who recruited him until the end. The kid isn't in yet, and I said months ago he wouldn't be.

Man, this is yet another shining example of the NCAA's complete incompetence and hypocrisy. Why in the heck should it take two months to look at some transcripts and an ACT score and then decide a kid needs to retake the test?

And what happens if the kid scores in the same range again? Is someone from NCAA going to apologize publicly to the kid for alluding to the fact that he cheated on the test. Of course not. We'll hear the same old "we were merely safeguarding the academic standards of our member schools" BS. Doesn't matter what school the kid was going to, this is just plain wrong.

Man, this is yet another shining example of the NCAA's complete incompetence and hypocrisy. Why in the heck should it take two months to look at some transcripts and an ACT score and then decide a kid needs to retake the test?

And what happens if the kid scores in the same range again? Is someone from NCAA going to apologize publicly to the kid for alluding to the fact that he cheated on the test. Of course not. We'll hear the same old "we were merely safeguarding the academic standards of our member schools" BS. Doesn't matter what school the kid was going to, this is just plain wrong.

What happens if he doesn't score the same? What happens if he scores a 16? There has to be some evidence pointing them towards making the kid retest. You don't see them just randomly making kids retake ACTs.

I am not saying it should take this long for them to figure all this out, but I understand the checking on this. It should have been done in March though. Not August.