lindale vs gladewater scrimmage

jakeelee

Lindale is 4a masquerading around as a 5a...if Gladewater treated them like that...it will be another brutal brutal year in 16 5

I wouldn't say that. They have about the same amount of students as Sulphur Springs, and we don't think SS is masquerading around as a 5a. Their enrollments says they are 5a, so that is where they should be.

Lindale actually did ok in the past when they moved up a class. I believe in 2009 they won their district with Whitehouse,Kilgore, Nac, Henderson,and Jacksonville.

I think the real issue is that many of the big dogs have fell to the second highest class like JT, Luf, Longview, etc. The UIL has to do a better job in splitting these classes up, that is why they need to add another class...5a should have some where between 800-1400 kids, 6a 1400-2200, and 7a 2200 and up. This would make for a better competitive balance.

I love Lindale, but we just don't have the same type of athletes as the other 5A teams in our district. Back when we were 3A we won a lot of district titles, but we were playing similar teams athletically to us. Van, Canton, Rains, etc. Once in the playoffs we went one or 2 rounds and were beat by more athletic schools. If we drop to 4A and get put in a district with Chapel Hill, Kilgore, etc. we may have a better shot at the playoffs, but it's still going to be tough.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much better they could have done, they won district just about every year they were in 3A

I think they mean not being satisfied winning district and getting beat in the first round of the playoffs. Their saying district titles are great, but when you're one of the biggest schools in a classification (like we were in 3A) you expect that school to be a lot more dominant in the post season. Just like we expect Longview,Lufkin, etc to do when theg dropped down.

5 to 1 GW in the controlled part with 2 ints and 14-14 in the live qtr

That is true, but I believe 3 of those TD for Gladewater were when the second team was in. Gladewater had their twos in, but most were starters because they dont have as many numbers as Lindale to put in a full 2nd team. Lindale looks ok, they just don't have much depth.

We will be fine with either quarterback that the coaches choose. The senior can play multiple positions and is a very good athlete. He will be on the field somewhere. The sophomore has the potential to be one of the best Qbs to ever come through GW. I'm sure the coaches will make the right choice. I think with either player the coaches will be able to open up the playbook a little more than last year. The team will still be run first but these Qbs will be much more of a run threat than last year. I also watched the sophomore toss the ball 50-60 yards down field with ease in 7 on 7. Should be a fun year for the Bears fans.

There is no doubt that Strickland is a great talent and I love the fact that we could go with a Sophomore, giving him 3 years with this offense. The only hesitation I have about starting him, especially with his running ability, is when a pass play is called, will he give up too quickly if his first option isn't open and take off running. Having a young, talented runner at QB can really hurt the passing game. Of course it can also be another big weapon. It's great to have a QB that is a talented runner, but we have a tremendous amount of very capable RBs and I guess I would just like to see us have a more balanced offense, especially with the speed we have at WR. Of course I'd also like for us to use our TE position more.

All that being said, I am not a coach and we have some great guys that are. I don't doubt they will do what gives the Bears the best chance at being successful on the field!!!

That is true, but I believe 3 of those TD for Gladewater were when the second team was in. Gladewater had their twos in, but most were starters because they dont have as many numbers as Lindale to put in a full 2nd team. Lindale looks ok, they just don't have much depth.

Yes,Lindale will be in trouble if we have any injuries. We usually look pretty good when our 1's line up. The problem is when we have to sub, every one elses 2's look like our ones and our 2's look like their JV's. Lol.

There is no doubt that Strickland is a great talent and I love the fact that we could go with a Sophomore, giving him 3 years with this offense. The only hesitation I have about starting him, especially with his running ability, is when a pass play is called, will he give up too quickly if his first option isn't open and take off running. Having a young, talented runner at QB can really hurt the passing game. Of course it can also be another big weapon. It's great to have a QB that is a talented runner, but we have a tremendous amount of very capable RBs and I guess I would just like to see us have a more balanced offense, especially with the speed we have at WR. Of course I'd also like for us to use our TE position more.

All that being said, I am not a coach and we have some great guys that are. I don't doubt they will do what gives the Bears the best chance at being successful on the field!!!

While it is true that he is young and will have some growing pains I'm not sure that taking off running will be the problem. Have you seen the kid throw? He has one of the best arms you will see. He is also a very smart kid. He probably gives the team the best run and throw option to balance the offense in my opinion. Now with that said if the coaches decided to wait a year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Blake is a good athlete and would do great there. I talked to one of the coaches yesterday and they said Strickland is playing great and they are looking for him to grab the position and never look back.

While it is true that he is young and will have some growing pains I'm not sure that taking off running will be the problem. Have you seen the kid throw? He has one of the best arms you will see. He is also a very smart kid. He probably gives the team the best run and throw option to balance the offense in my opinion. Now with that said if the coaches decided to wait a year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Blake is a good athlete and would do great there. I talked to one of the coaches yesterday and they said Strickland is playing great and they are looking for him to grab the position and never look back.

That's great! My favorite scenario would be Strickland at QB. My hesitation has nothing to do with Strickland's abilities, but more the fact that he is young. That being said I have no problem with whatever our coaches decide. They are the best!

Lindale was pretty good when they were 3a. Not the best, but above average. I remember there being some battles between Carthage and Lindale. But there drop off in play has nothing to do with them moving up a class. Used to it was back and forth between the 2 schools, and the last couple of years (with the exception of last year) Carthage has beat them badly. Something else has changed besides the move up to 5a. The Lindale teams from 5 or 6 years ago would be competing in there district. Maybe not winning, but definitely competing for a championship.

I agree. Lindale just hasn't really had any talent since 2011 when they had Clay Price and Josiah Johnson. They've had a few pretty ok players the last couple of years but nothing even close to what they've had in the past. Definitely not enough to compete in this district

I need to make something clear. The years lindale lost in the second round it wasn't because they were use to playing mediocre teams. I know 3 of those years it's because we were playing the team that would win state that year. When lindale played Henderson lindale was up 3 touchdowns on them and somehow they came back to win. Same with sulphur springs when they knocked us out of the playoffs...it was a very competitive game.SS Went on to win state. Even when we were 3A and we met up with liberty eylau everybody said whoever wins this game will win state and liberty eylau won and breezed thru the rest of the playoffs...no competition whatsoever. I will admit lindales a lot like the cowboys when it comes to post season. They have had the talent to win state championships and should have. Lindale has had some very talented kids come thru in the past and they deserve the credit. Just because you have a lot of kids in a class don't always mean your going to have a good football team.

I need to make something clear. The years lindale lost in the second round it wasn't because they were use to playing mediocre teams. I know 3 of those years it's because we were playing the team that would win state that year. When lindale played Henderson lindale was up 3 touchdowns on them and somehow they came back to win. Same with sulphur springs when they knocked us out of the playoffs...it was a very competitive game.SS Went on to win state. Even when we were 3A and we met up with liberty eylau everybody said whoever wins this game will win state and liberty eylau won and breezed thru the rest of the playoffs...no competition whatsoever. I will admit lindales a lot like the cowboys when it comes to post season. They have had the talent to win state championships and should have. Lindale has had some very talented kids come thru in the past and they deserve the credit. Just because you have a lot of kids in a class don't always mean your going to have a good football team.

. Those are true statements. Saw every game mentioned. Left out the Mt. Pleasant game where the game winning score was called back at the end of the game and MP played Whitehouse in the next week playoff. One year a knee injury in the first quarter to Griffin end the run at Rose.Talent is down some over there for sure.

. Those are true statements. Saw every game mentioned. Left out the Mt. Pleasant game where the game winning score was called back at the end of the game and MP played Whitehouse in the next week playoff. One year a knee injury in the first quarter to Griffin end the run at Rose.Talent is down some over there for sure.

Forgot about that one!ha that one made me sick. Believe we lost in overtime

Amen

• Like 1

I stand corrected, there have been some closer playoff games that I had forgotten about. (Or ones that we were up on and fell apart..Henderson and SS...one year we were blown out by SS I believe)

We definitely were having some our greatest years back in the days when Owens was here. I would think most would agree that he is the most successful coach in Lindale history.

What year was the LE game you were talking about? They won state back in 2005 and we didn't play them that year or since then...so it must have been before then? Just curious, must have been before I moved back home in 2004. (Or my memory may be failing me. Lol)

That's funny. We ran at will in yall