Hallsville @ Carthage

EtxAT

MAN, I might have to eat my predictions about Hallsville being the darkhorse in our district. I figured with 10 returning starters on Defense that they would have shown a much better outing than what I am witnessing right now. I mean, they are AWFUL! Jesus Christ! What did they do all summer because preperation was NOT one of them.

Hallsville did have 2 TD's called back.

Lots to work on, top to bottom...but I like the way the kids battled back at the end when they looked like they thrown it in. As sloppy as the game was, there's something to be said for that. I feel like our Dawgs need to work on toughness, which is difficult. Excited to see how the team progresses and grows!

Go Dawgs!

Heard enrolment is booming in hallsville that they could be 6a very soon

That's a bald face lie, wherever you got it from. Longview, Texas High, Lufkin and John Tyler enrollments are substantially larger than Hallsville and we aren't in 6A. Tyler Lee benefited from the redistricting lines that were redrawn in the early 2000's and they are boss hogging the entire city for enrollment numbers being in the mid to high 2500 plus range. So, they won't be dropping anytime soon as they take kids from practically every part of Tyler including ALL surrounding towns and communities.

Interesting game, in fact one of the best I've seen in a while, but in the first 16 or so minutes of the first half the Hallsville offensive line was running different plays than the backs were, because the play cards on their arms were messed up, verified by one of our lineman. Then when they did get things straight they had to deal with an overzealous o-line player getting a stupid penalty. I did not see a great Carthage team, they were good, but they should have taken advantage of all the Hallsville mistakes, and they did not. 450 yds passing 38 for 68 attempts unreal numbers for Carthage QB. one last thing Hallsville did not have 10 starters back on d-fence. Carthage will be really good where they are and Hallsville will be OK where we are. A tough as heck schedule for Hallsville.

The enrollment at Hallsville will not hit 6-A in the next several years as we only have 1400 students in HS. 400+ of those are Freshmen the rest of the classes are around 350 each, not 6-A numbers

Interesting game, in fact one of the best I've seen in a while, but in the first 16 or so minutes of the first half the Hallsville offensive line was running different plays than the backs were, because the play cards on their arms were messed up, verified by one of our lineman. Then when they did get things straight they had to deal with an overzealous o-line player getting a stupid penalty. I did not see a great Carthage team, they were good, but they should have taken advantage of all the Hallsville mistakes, and they did not. 450 yds passing 38 for 68 attempts unreal numbers for Carthage QB. one last thing Hallsville did not have 10 starters back on d-fence. Carthage will be really good where they are and Hallsville will be OK where we are. A tough as heck schedule for Hallsville.

The enrollment at Hallsville will not hit 6-A in the next several years as we only have 1400 students in HS. 400+ of those are Freshmen the rest of the classes are around 350 each, not 6-A numbers

Do you remember the last time you saw a great carthage team the first game of the season? Me neither.

• Like 1

Since the surrat era Carthage has been known tostruggle thru non district not saying they are not trying to win em but I'm sure the work for the bigger picture is more important. I can say that Carthage has 3 goals every year go undefeated at home,win district and then ein state

It is interesting how the Carthage posters disguise early losses as the coach experimenting and not necessarily focusing on winning. Is he the only coach to do this early in the season?

Oh, to be sure , it would be nice to win them. But winning in non-district isn't the main goal. If it were, we would schedule down in classification, not up. Early losses are more about how you lose. Last year hallsville took us to the woodshed and what followed was a sub-par season. Loss last night was by a point, and could've gone either way. If we're in for another sub-par season, then i'll be shocked. It's about district and playoffs man. And this strategy has paid off rather well for us, hasn't it?

Hallsville is not growing really much faster than anyone else in area.... Longview is the fastest growing ..... Longview had 500 more students than last year..... Hallsville 80.... Huge difference....Longview averages almost 675 kids per grade..... A lot of the home construction is near Longview not in hallsville....people feel more affiliated with Longview as being closer....to get to 6a hallsville would need about 5,000 more students into the district ..... Reality please!!!

Keep up, Carthage does not get good until week 7 ;)

I just want Carthage fans to own the loss to a bigger and better team. The coaching staff scheduled this game so they could play bigger competition. Nothing wrong with losing to a bigger school, especially in the fashion they lost. Plenty of reasons you lost and H'ville won... Neither are those are "Carthage was the better team." Those that try it just get "scoreboard x2"

Since the surrat era Carthage has been known tostruggle thru non district not saying they are not trying to win em but I'm sure the work for the bigger picture is more important. I can say that Carthage has 3 goals every year go undefeated at home,win district and then ein state

Dang , was hoping he was still looking at the big picture when we came to town! But then you said undefeated at home... Carthage will be back IMO this year!!

I just want Carthage fans to own the loss to a bigger and better team. The coaching staff scheduled this game so they could play bigger competition. Nothing wrong with losing to a bigger school, especially in the fashion they lost. Plenty of reasons you lost and H'ville won... Neither are those are "Carthage was the better team." Those that try it just get "scoreboard x2"

I have came to the conclusion that we can never make any other posters understand what we see every year since Surratt has been here. I understand that. There is nothing anybody can say that would make most if not all of Carthage fans and posters believe that we wouldn't beat Hallsville handily later in the season. But I also understand why people are skeptical. Why would people that don't watch the team and hasn't really seen the job Surratt and the staff have done in the past. Doesn't matter. Carthage fans and posters can believe what they want, and other people can believe what they want. I'm pretty sure Carthage will be playing in December. IMO Carthage had the superior team, but failed to execute. The one and only fact is Hallsville was the better team Friday night, and they start off there season 1-0. Hope we continue the series. I think it's good for both schools to play each other and get better. Good luck to Hallsville this season. Would love to see you guys get a playoff spot.

I have came to the conclusion that we can never make any other posters understand what we see every year since Surratt has been here. I understand that. There is nothing anybody can say that would make most if not all of Carthage fans and posters believe that we wouldn't beat Hallsville handily later in the season. But I also understand why people are skeptical. Why would people that don't watch the team and hasn't really seen the job Surratt and the staff have done in the past. Doesn't matter. Carthage fans and posters can believe what they want, and other people can believe what they want. I'm pretty sure Carthage will be playing in December. IMO Carthage had the superior team, but failed to execute. The one and only fact is Hallsville was the better team Friday night, and they start off there season 1-0. Hope we continue the series. I think it's good for both schools to play each other and get better. Good luck to Hallsville this season. Would love to see you guys get a playoff spot.

I'm sorry, but to say Carthage was the Superior team right after a loss is ridiculous. Did Carthage ever have the lead in this game?

Oh! Hallsville doesn't have 10 returning starters on Defense like Dave Campbell's magazine printed??? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that, that was what was clearly put out. If, they indeed are not returning the 10 starters like DC's Magazine printed, then HOW many exactly???

It is interesting how the Carthage posters disguise early losses as the coach experimenting and not necessarily focusing on winning. Is he the only coach to do this early in the season?

They better hope HS football doesn't ever go to the playoff system like college football. Throwing these early games for "evaluation" wont work in that system. :rolleyes:

They better hope HS football doesn't ever go to the playoff system like college football. Throwing these early games for "evaluation" wont work in that system. :rolleyes:

The game wasn't " Thrown", it was PLAYED against a larger school as a measure of where the Dogs strengths & weaknesses lie... Try not to overthink this.

Yes, They Certainly DID...! With 4:04 left to play......

And blew it! Still not something I would say "the better team lost." The better team beat the lesser team. Carthage may be better in week 7 than Hallsville, but you won't know and you can't proclaim that Carthage is better because it was settled on the field.