Trinity knocks off # 1 in the Nation Da La Salle 26-21

85lobooldschool

I watched most of this game on ESPN and i agree about the over rated comment. De La Salle has some huge kids but i just didnt see a #1 nationally ranked team. Im sure they dominate Cali teams and had a crazy long winning streak at one time but they would be a top 5-top 10 team in Texas. Way to represent!!

I thought DLS had a pretty dang good football squad. I didn't expect them to have that much speed.

I don't get how anyone can rank anyone #1 nationally. It's high school football, just crazy to even try to do so imo.

DLS was good but there's no way on earth that they would beat Allen for sure. Trinity looked a lot like the normal Trinity. Nothing changes in 6A Region I.

I thought DLS had a pretty dang good football squad. I didn't expect them to have that much speed.

I don't get how anyone can rank anyone #1 nationally. It's high school football, just crazy to even try to do so imo.

DLS was good but there's no way on earth that they would beat Allen for sure. Trinity looked a lot like the normal Trinity. Nothing changes in 6A Region I.

+1

Am I correct in understanding that DLS can actually recruit players?

They're a private school so wouldn't be surprising.

Pretty much every other state outside of Texas is dominated by private schools (big reason why everyone threw a huge fit about letting Jesuit playing in the UIL).

Let's see: the so-called #1 team in the nation loses to a Texas Top 5. The #1 team in Texas gets peter-rolled by a Top 10. Can we put the idea of rankings meaning something to bed?

#1 in 5A got knocked off too... Aledo lost to #2 Cedar Park! More fuel for your theory!

Other than selling newspapers and magazines, what's the point of rankings in high school football? Here, everything is settled on the field.

Setting expectations... Not a bad thing but no idea how a national reporter can pick the top 25 schools in America accurately lol...

I'm proud for Trinity and the state of Texas but I've watched De La Salle play a handful of times in the past 8-10 years and they made some uncharacterisic errors last night. More than in every other game I've seen them play put together, in fact. Cant help but think them having a new head coach in his first game had something to do with it. That exact De La Salle team coached by Bob Ladoceur wins that game in my opinion.

Other than selling newspapers and magazines, what's the point of rankings in high school football? Here, everything is settled on the field.

Hype for games

Message board ranting

There's no point to them at all in Texas, thankfully.

I'm proud for Trinity and the state of Texas but I've watched De La Salle play a handful of times in the past 8-10 years and they made some uncharacterisic errors last night. More than in every other game I've seen them play put together, in fact. Cant help but think them having a new head coach in his first game had something to do with it. That exact De La Salle team coached by Bob Ladoceur wins that game in my opinion.

Not like Trinity wasn't in the same position with a brand new coaching staff in their first game.

DLS had a ton of speed. Trinity just gritted it out more and came out with the win. They never quit.

DLS is at an advantage to the public schools because they can bring in players while the public schools have boundaries to observe.

Trinity's opponent next week, IMG Academy is a football factory, plain and simple. Their QB "transferred" from Calvary in Shreveport. I hope Trinity takes it to them next week as well. I don't believe the private schools should be ranked anywhere with the public schools because the field is not level.

• Like 1

Not like Trinity wasn't in the same position with a brand new coaching staff in their first game.

How did I know that was coming? The difference is, Trinity was EXACTLY who they always are and have been for years... De La Salle was not. Period. For @ 20 years they have made a living of playing superior technique and error free football. Not the case last night. One thing changed- the head coach. Thats what I'm saying. Like I said, I'm proud for Trinity and for Texas. But thats my opinion.

How did I know that was coming? The difference is, Trinity was EXACTLY who they always are and have been for years... De La Salle was not. Period. For @ 20 years they have made a living of playing superior technique and error free football. Not the case last night. One thing changed- the head coach. Thats what I'm saying. Like I said, I'm proud for Trinity and for Texas. But thats my opinion.

So, instead of making excuses for the private school that essentially gets its pick of stud players from their region in California, why not give the Texas public school, which plays by the same rules as all of our teams, props for maintaining its level of excellence? That's just my opinion.
  • Like 1

Im pretty sure this is DLS's head coaches 3rd season. ESPN said he had a 28-1 record in two seasons. Regardless, this a'int cali :)

Watched the game.. De La Salle was out gritted in the end. Typical Trinity type win, just play physical and grind it out in the end.

I think all this national ratings has its place, but in reality, I can think of at least 20 teams in 6A and 5A that could have beaten them.

Texas High Schools have some tremendous coaches, teams and programs. The part I like about the win the best.. is the Trinity kids, all come from the same school district, beating a recruiting school. Not to mention knocking off a No.1 national Cali. team.

De La Salle needs to stay out of playing the top teams in Texas IMO

DLS has been the NCS champion every year since 1994.. Give me a break.. That's where their national rankings come from..

There is a reason for going 13-0 every year.. you have great kids and a mediocre schedule. I give them credit... their a good school and team, but cmon.. 25 years.. their is a method to that madness.. Come get a piece of some of these Texas schools week in and week out and see what you look like at the end of the year.. That's just the fact of the matter.. They couldn't have those results here. The old Plano, S.Lake, Katy, Lake Travis. etc.. had some great runs with multiple Championships.. but 25 years..

DLS is welcome back anytime

• Like 1