West Monroe vs Lufkin

Pack007

They run an offense very similar to what Longview ran in recent yrs. Its primarily an I-formation veer where the full back is just behind the QB and the RB is deep in the backfield. They run alot of option and toss sweeps from it. Its power football...But they will mix in other sets as well. John King of Longview has ties to Pat Collins who brought that offense to the Monroe area when he coach over that way. West Monroe former coach, Don Shows (who recently passed away) was also a Pat Collins guy.

And John King was a Don Shows guy. I think he either played under him or coached under him. Heck, when Pat Collins game to Longview, Coach King was his offensive coordinator and was basically handed over the reigns.

Coach King has moved away from the I-Formation Triple Option in recent years for the most part and has branched out, although they still get a few snaps of it in games.

Thanks for posting the video.

One thing I always remembers about West Monroe was that they were HUGE, but our little guys speed MURDERED their offense (in 2 games, I think they scored 19 points). Lufkin has the athletes to shut their offense down.

And John King was a Don Shows guy. I think he either played under him or coached under him. Heck, when Pat Collins game to Longview, Coach King was his offensive coordinator and was basically handed over the reigns.

Coach King has moved away from the I-Formation Triple Option in recent years for the most part and has branched out, although they still get a few snaps of it in games.

Thanks for posting the video.

One thing I always remembers about West Monroe was that they were HUGE, but our little guys speed MURDERED their offense (in 2 games, I think they scored 19 points). Lufkin has the athletes to shut their offense down.

What WM lack in speed, they make up with strength. They are a very physical team. Their strength and conditioning program is top notch. As well as their organization. Those kids run their system from little league to high school at all of their schools. They send OL and DL to Div.1 schools every year. But....they do lack speed. Spread teams have always gave them trouble. Most of the time, they have such a good pass rush, they are able to overcome the lack of speed. This will be a good game.

p.s. I may be wrong, but the yr they scored 19 is the year WM beat LV...I think.

Its a common practice in Louisiana. I have seen 5a schools play 1a schools in Louisiana. Its a couple reasons for this.

#1. Wossman is kinda a rival. Its a school located just across the river in Monroe and they used to be a power house. Also, its saves the district money by playing a local team as oppose to traveling to play someone else.

#2. In Louisiana....only the district champ is an auto playoff team. The rest are pick by power points. These small schools get extra power points by playing bigger schools, whether they win or lose....so a team could go 6-4 with a weak schedule could miss a playoff spot to a team that is 4-6 with a tougher schedule.

#3. Teams like West Monroe have a very hard time filling their schedule with Louisiana teams. The districts are alot smaller and they sometimes have to find 5-6 non district games. Alot of times they have to play a couple out of state games, and they have to play the small schools, because the small schools are willing to play them for the power points.

#4. And sometimes enrollment doesn't matter in Louisiana because many times the small schools are private schools who can select their players (Evangel, John Curtis, etc...)

Ok. Makes sense now. I didn't realize Lousiana was set up like that. Thanks for the detailed explaination.