Week Six: Longview at Greenville

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-1, 1-0) vs Greenville Lions (1-3, 0-1)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Greenville in a close one
    • Greenville in a blow out

longview2.pnggreenville2.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-1, 1-0) AT GREENVILLE LIONS (1-3, 0-1)

DATE: Friday, October 2nd, 2015

TIME: 7:30 PM

LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI

GREENVILLE BROADCAST: 105.9 FM KGVL

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 2-1-0 longview.png
The Lobos have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.

The Lobos have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is a district contest.

The Lions have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.

The two schools have never played at a neutral location

The Lobos have a 2-0-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.

The Lions have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played at Greenville.

Longview has won the last two meetings against the Lions.

The two schools have never played at T.A. Cotton Ford Stadium before.

The two schools have never played on October 2nd before.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES

10.03.2014 - Longview 56, Greenville 7 - Lobo Stadium

10.03.1947 - Longview 16, Greenville 0 - Lobo Stadium

12.07.1934 - Greenville 47, Longview 6 - Phillips Field

FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW

A place Longview has not visited in nearly 81 years is the next time for the Lobo district train as they travel to Greenville, home of the Lions. The Lobos and Lions meet for just the fourth time in their history and only the second time ever in Greenville. The last time Longview went to Greenville, they suffered their worst playoff defeat in their history by a 47-6 thrashing from the defending State Champions at the time. At the top of the Texas High School mountain at the time, a lot has changed for the Lions since. After ending a 40-game losing streak last season, the Lions opened the 2015 season with another victory over North Garland. Since, it’s been a lot like 2009-2013 as the Lions are now coming off a 31-21 loss to Mount Pleasant which ended the Tigers own 13-game losing streak. On the flip side, the Lobos enter the contest with a 17-game district winning streak dating back to 2012. The 17 game district winning streak is the 2nd longest in Longview’s history, tied with the 17 games from 1975 to 1977. The longest district winning streak is 36, between 2004 to 2010. The Lobos also won their 32nd consecutive home district game with the 61-6 victory over Pine Tree, dating back to 2004.

WEEK FIVE 15-5A RESULTS:

Longview 61 Pine Tree 6

Marshall 56 Hallsville 21

Mount Pleasant 31 Greenville 21

Texas High 55 vs Sulphur Springs 21

WEEK SIX 15-5A SCHEDULE:

Greenville vs Longview (T.A. Cotton Ford Stadium)

Sulphur Springs vs Mount Pleasant (Gerald Prim Stadium)

Hallsville vs Texas High (Bobcat Stadium)

Pine Tree vs Marshall (Pirate Stadium)

DISTRICT 15-5A STANDINGS

1st. Marshall (4-0, 1-0)

2nd. Longview (3-1, 1-0)

3rd. Texas High (3-1, 1-0)

4th. Mount Pleasant (1-3, 1-0)

5th. Hallsville (2-2, 0-1)

6th. Greenville (1-3, 0-1)

7th. Pine Tree (1-3, 0-1)

8th. Sulphur Springs (0-4, 0-1)

LONGVIEW LOBOS

Record: 3-1 (1-0)

District: 15-5A

Coach: John King (123-29 in 12 seasons) (Playoffs: 28-11)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: 678-335-52 (Playoffs: 56-38-1)

Playoff Appearances: 40

Last Playoff Appearance: 2014, 5A Division I Area Round

State Championships: 1937 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)

SCHEDULE:

08.28 - vs Lufkin - W 21-20

09.05 - at John Tyler - W 31-14

09.12 - Shreveport Byrd (in Shreveport) - L 22-15

09.25 - vs Pine Tree - W 61-6

10.02 - at Greenville

10.09 - at Marshall

10.16 - vs Texas High

10.23 - at Mount Pleasant

10.30 - vs Sulphur Springs

11.06 - at Hallsville

GREENVILLE LIONS

Record: 1-3 (0-1)

District: 15-5A

Coach: Marvin Sedberry (76-82-2 in 15 seasons) (Playoffs: 8-8)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: /-/-/ (Playoffs: 20-16-4)

Playoff Appearances: 20

Last Playoff Appearance: 2003, 4A Division I Bi-District Round

State Championships: 1933 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1933 (1A), 1935 (1A)

SCHEDULE:

08.28 - vs North Garland - W 21-14

09.04 - at Royse City - L 60-41

09.11 - at Princeton - L 31-14

09.25 - at Mount Pleasant - L 31-21

10.02 - vs Longview

10.09 - vs Sulphur Springs

10.16 - at Marshall

10.23 - vs Hallsville

10.30 - at Texas High

11.06 - vs Pine Tree

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 2nd

In 1925, Tyler ended up forfeiting a 14-0 win over Longview for playing an ineligible player.

in 1931, Tyler High rolled up a 35-0 halftime lead before steam rolling in the 2nd half to a 60-0 win over Longview.

In 1936, Longview rushed off to a 40-0 victory at Lobo Stadium over Mineola. It was just the 3rd game played at old Lobo Stadium.

In 1942, Babin scored on a 16 yard reception in the first half and Sam Fromagus recovered a blocked punt in the end zone as Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson squeaked by Longview 14-6. Robert Crowley’s 74 yard reception in the 4th quarter was Longview’s only score of the night.

In 1953, the Lobos suffered a home loss to Corsicana by a 25-14 count.

In 1959, Pete Mobbs’ two yard touchdown run in the first quarter was all the Lobos would need to knock off Grand Prairie. Larry Shoemaker and Jerry Earnhardt each returned interceptions for score, while Douglas Bruner and Ray Chancelor also ran in markers as the Lobos rolled to a 32-0 victory over the Gophers. The win was Longview’s 6th in a row.

In 1964, Gerald Carney’s 27 yard field goal with 5:04 remaining sent Mesquite to their first victory of the season in a 3-0 win over Longview at Lobo Stadium. The loss was Longview’s first of the season.

In 1970, Longview won their 9th straight game as the Lobos rushed to a 27-0 victory over Marshall inside Lobo Stadium. Ronnie Davis scored twice in the first half before James Lomax and Larry Smith added on scores. The Mavericks were held to just 58 yards on the night in the 2nd game that would be become a 19-game winning streak for the Lobos over Marshall.

In 1981, Gahlen Johnson’s three touchdown and 210 yards rushing day capped Longview’s 37-0 victory over Nacogdoches at Lobo Stadium. The Dragons were held to just 136 yards as Ronnie Hunter, Jessie Floyd and Willie Thompson also added markers for the Lobos.

In 1987, Mike Bobo and Earnest Hunter both scored twice as Longview rolled to a 35-6 lead over Texas High inside Grim Park. The largest margin of victory for the Lobos inside Grim Park was capped with a touchdown by Ray Allsion and Calvin Jackson in the fourth quarter as the Lobos dominated the Tigers, 49-6. Earnest Hunter put up 163 yards in the 371 total rushing day for the Lobos.

In 1992, the Lobos rolled up 292 rushing yards behind Amond Hutchings and Alton McAlister as the Lobos knocked off Ruston at James Field, 23-12. L’Vendric Fite, Chris Judy, Amond Hutchings and David Danielson scored the markers as the Lobos rolled up a 23-6 advantage late into the game.

In 1998, Longview scored 10 point in the first half of play and it was all that it needed in a 10-3 victory over the Ruston Bearcats. The 10 points were the first 10 points the Cats had given up on the season after having previously outscored their opponents 158-0. Erik Hargrave kicked a first quarter touchdown before Fred Talley sealed the winning touchdown with a 28 yard reception from Trey Pierce. The win was Longview’s 14th straight regular season victory.

In 2009, the #4 ranked Sulphur Springs Wildcats visited Longview’s Lobo Stadium for the first time…and were shown just how difficult it was to win there. 394 rushing yards behind two touchdowns from both Aaron Johnson and Dakota Anthony stopped Sulphur Springs’ 14-game winning streak dead in it’s tracks as the Lobos absolutely rolled to a 45-0 victory.

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif

Not much to get excited about here. All due respect to Mount Pleasant, but if we couldn't beat the Tigers, then Longview is going to violate the Geneva Convention against us.

Longview is going to break our scoreboard.

There's always Pine Tree...

Well..... when you break a 13 game losing streak to MP........ then you get Longview..... ouch.

I hope a good crowd from Longview goes to Greenville.... the stadium alone is worth the long trip.

I really enjoyed our game there last season (Parking not withstanding...ugh).

Lobos ROLL BIG..... setting up a (5-0) Vs. (4-1) game Vs. the Mavs (siiiiigh and smh).

Lobos ROLL BIG..... setting up a (5-0) Vs. (4-1) game Vs. the Mavs (siiiiigh and smh).

Uhh ohh....the 5-0 Mavs should blowout Lv at home. Lobos got nuthinnn.....

(Just getting you prepared for what you will see in that game thread in a few weeks) smh..Lobos

• Like 1

I hope a good crowd from Longview goes to Greenville.... the stadium alone is worth the long trip.

We've had really good crowds this season. They were even spilling over to the hill last night again. I was pretty shocked when I saw it.

But yea, I agree. I went to the freshmen/JV game last year at Cotton Ford and it's a really nice stadium. It's small so we're all gonna be sandwiched in there. We'll see how it goes but I think we'll fill that side up.

Was the poll really needed this week?

I include it every week.

I always hit the Chick fil a...but that's because we don't have one here lol

Hoping for something more local! I got a CFA right down the street from me lol.

Sorry, was watching my LSU Tigers win a hard-fought game.

Sit-down restaurants? As mentioned, Ta Molly's is good. Also, Tony's Italian Kitchen on Wesley Street (Highway 34) has some good choices. I prefer the Sausage Pizzaola, myself. To go there before the game, go ahead and turn left on 34 when you get to town, it'll be on your right. Leaving, right out of the parking lot and right at the light, then straight to the stadium.

Want a burger, but not a drive-thru burger? Then you want Terry's Place. It's a hole in the wall, but the best burger in town. Turn right on Business Highway 69 (right where the road splits just past the GEUS building) and go straight past both lights and the YMCA. It will be on your right. If you see Division Street, you've gone past it. Ask for the Bubba Burger if you're really hungry (it's a full pound burger.) I think they close at 7, so you can ask for it to go, or call them once you get to Lone Oak and they'll have it ready to go for you. And leave your business card on the wall if you've got one.

If you haven't been to the Cotton Field (our name for it) and want to go straight to the game, directions are pretty straightforward: I-20* west to Lindale, then 69 North (remember to turn left in Mineola about 10-15 miles in to follow the highway.) Once you get to GVL, if you are going straight to the game, then go straight PAST Highway 34, then turn left at the NEXT light, Sayle Street. The high school and stadium will be at the second stop sign; turn right and follow the crowd.

Pine Tree and Hallsville fans reading this, the same directions will apply.

(Since LoboFan07 has all the relevant trivia, here's a fun fact that probably only I care about :) : Highway 69 is the longest north-south highway in America, starting from the Gulf of Mexico (in Port Arthur, TX), and going all the way north to Albert Lea, Minnesota. It passes through the major cities of Kansas City and Des Moines.)

(* - You can also take Highway 80 instead of I-20, following the same directions once you get to Highway 69.)