United States vs Mexico Confederation Cup playoff

flukeshot

So the US's embarrassing display in this past summer's Gold Cup necessitates playing champions Mexico for the right to go to the Confederations Cup. Game will be played this Saturday at the Rose Bowl in front of what I'm sure will be a heavily pro-Mexican crowd.

Roster for the game was released a few days ago, and it's pretty much the same ole same ole, only Jermaine Jones and Tim Howard are back.

If the US loses Klinsmann must be fired in my opinion.

• Like 1

1-1 at the half. A bit of deft play and probably some bad defending saw Mexico with a two on one that Chicharito finished off easily to give El Tri the lead in the 10th minute. US equalized just a few minutes later on a set piece (of course), Geoff Cameron heading in Michael Bradley's free kick. US was very conservative and didn't generate much from the run of play for most of the half but really started to come on pretty strong the last ten minutes, hope they can keep that up.

Neither team can score in the second half so it's headed to extra time still tied at 1. Mexico were by far the better team though and probably should've won. Chicharito had a chance to score on essentially an empty net early on but couldn't make solid contact and sent his shot wide. Besler might've got away with a handball right at the end of the half. US had a couple of counters, not a whole lot to be honest, spent most of the time pinned back in their own third. Unfortunately I kind of get the feeling they will be happy if they can get it to penalties.

It's over. Mexico wins 3-2. It's a fair result, they should've won in regulation, overall they were the better team, Besler should've been called for a penalty, etc ... but after the US scored their second goal, Mexico was suddenly much more passive and you could say that the winner came against the run of play. That little stretch there towards the end and the last few minutes of the first half were the only times the US really came close to controlling the play.

I hope to God this is the end of the Klinsmann era. His tenure has grown stale and that Gold Cup was just an epic crapping of the bed and now this. I don't trust him to get us through World Cup qualifying, and it's time for some old guys to go away and some new ones to be looked at and integrated into the team, and I don't trust him to do that either. And I think the players have tuned him out. Please let this be it.

I hope to God this is the end of the Klinsmann era. His tenure has grown stale and that Gold Cup was just an epic crapping of the bed and now this. I don't trust him to get us through World Cup qualifying, and it's time for some old guys to go away and some new ones to be looked at and integrated into the team, and I don't trust him to do that either. And I think the players have tuned him out. Please let this be it.

I think the whole thing with leaving Donovan at home during the WC was an A hole move too. I know we fared well in the WC, but he should have let Donovan have his farewell tour, especially when he could still contribute.

Yeah, I tried to rationalize it at the time, but Klinsmann is the only dude in the world who would've left Donovan home. He deserves credit for getting us through that group anyway, but we did it playing some ugly, ugly ball and we could've really used the best player in USMNT history.

MLSsoccer.com has a chart up showing what we've become under Klinsmann. Since he started we've had way less overall possession, way less possession in the attacking third, and gotten off fewer shots per game since the early 90's, and back then we were relying mostly on amateur / college players. It's not the style of play that was promised when he was hired.

Yeah, I tried to rationalize it at the time, but Klinsmann is the only dude in the world who would've left Donovan home. He deserves credit for getting us through that group anyway, but we did it playing some ugly, ugly ball and we could've really used the best player in USMNT history.

MLSsoccer.com has a chart up showing what we've become under Klinsmann. Since he started we've had way less overall possession, way less possession in the attacking third, and gotten off fewer shots per game since the early 90's, and back then we were relying mostly on amateur / college players. It's not the style of play that was promised when he was hired.

Here's the thing I don't understand about our team... It seems like every match, we can score at will in the final 5-10 minutes... But the rest of the match its just a lucky aggressive player

The reason why we don't have to type of players mexico has(a team who constantly struggle with coaches yet always has skill players) is due to our lack of soccer culture especially in small rural areas such as east Texas, in Tyler there is like 1 public soccer field and the only competition seems to be an unorganized Mexican league, some college teams, and high school. At least the Dallas area has the north Texas premier league, until small communities like ours have some competition we will not produce talent like mexico.