Mount Pleasant @ Pine Tree

Triton

Who ya got?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who can notch a district win?

• MP
    • PT

Pine Tree looks to be better than past years just simply based on scores. Don't know a thin about them and no regular posters from there so not sure we will learn much here.

MP's inability to complete a pass for positive yards may be the difference again this week I am afraid and have not seen anything that leads me to believe that can change. Hope I am wrong. Hallsville did an outstanding job against the run even though Holloman ended up with decent numbers. Hope PT has less success on defense.

Good luck and Go Tigers!

Pine Tree is playing well but stalls on offense often. Daniel Bonamy, our quarterback, plays well but sometimes makes bad decisions. He has a strong arm, multiple possession receivers, and understands the offense. When things break down, Bonamy has a tendency to negate touchdowns with interceptions. Just as our issue from past years, we don't have any speed. Our speed is relatively weak compared to our district foes. Overall, the offense does well when we secure the run first and then spread the ball around through the pass. Maliq Owens is our unsung hero of consistency. When Maliq touches the ball, combined with Belamy's control of the offense, we can compete. An evidenced example of Maliq's consistency are the Marshall and Texas High games. In both games, Maliq finished with over 150 yards rushing on the ground. While we lost both games, Maliq provided the offensive foundation for quality play. The lack of production may be due to the quality of opponents we played, but for us to beat Hallsville we need a convincing win this week. Defensively, our kids fly to the ball. I've never seen Pine Tree be so physical. It's fun as a fan to watch our coaches fuel our kids physical play. We aren't great, aren't very big, and can sometimes play soft, but we look much improved from the past. I've been pleasantly surprised from Coach Collins. Kids are participating, they know the scheme, and he has raised the profile of our school's football team. Pine Tree looks entirely different than their Spring Game and our play so far indicates significant growth and development.

Mount Pleasant is yet to play any legitimate opponents in district other than Hallsville. Their two victories from weak, limited teams bar an honest appraisal of their abilities. Hallsville's victory showcases some discrepancies between Mount Pleasant's self-perception and reality. Mount Pleasant can prove their worth with a victory over Pine Tree, but a loss would reiterate the truth that this team will probably only win two games in the last two years. Honestly, I cannot figure Mount Pleasant out. They pass the eye test, their junior or sophomore group has more talent than ever, but they continue to struggle. I've been high on Mount Pleasant all year but am growing restless with the lack of progress. This team has way more talent than Pine Tree and regardless of the final result, I'm confident my Pirates will play the big four better than Mount Pleasant.

This game will be a defensive battle. I forsee some sloppy mistakes by both teams but think whoever is up at half will win. By that time, we will know who came to play. Mount Pleasant is our Homecoming game, and it's a tossup between motivation and distraction as how the increased status impacts our kids. I wish it were just a regular game. One interesting point is both head coaches are in their second season. It will be interesting to see the difference a year makes, and compare progress and refine my outlook for both programs next year.

Pine Tree is playing well but stalls on offense often. Daniel Bonamy, our quarterback, plays well but sometimes makes bad decisions. He has a strong arm, multiple possession receivers, and understands the offense. When things break down, Bonamy has a tendency to negate touchdowns with interceptions. Just as our issue from past years, we don't have any speed. Our speed is relatively weak compared to our district foes. Overall, the offense does well when we secure the run first and then spread the ball around through the pass. Maliq Owens is our unsung hero of consistency. When Maliq touches the ball, combined with Belamy's control of the offense, we can compete. An evidenced example of Maliq's consistency are the Marshall and Texas High games. In both games, Maliq finished with over 150 yards rushing on the ground. While we lost both games, Maliq provided the offensive foundation for quality play. The lack of production may be due to the quality of opponents we played, but for us to beat Hallsville we need a convincing win this week. Defensively, our kids fly to the ball. I've never seen Pine Tree be so physical. It's fun as a fan to watch our coaches fuel our kids physical play. We aren't great, aren't very big, and can sometimes play soft, but we look much improved from the past. I've been pleasantly surprised from Coach Collins. Kids are participating, they know the scheme, and he has raised the profile of our school's football team. Pine Tree looks entirely different than their Spring Game and our play so far indicates significant growth and development.
Mount Pleasant is yet to play any legitimate opponents in district other than Hallsville. Their two victories from weak, limited teams bar an honest appraisal of their abilities. Hallsville's victory showcases some discrepancies between Mount Pleasant's self-perception and reality. Mount Pleasant can prove their worth with a victory over Pine Tree, but a loss would reiterate the truth that this team will probably only win two games in the last two years. Honestly, I cannot figure Mount Pleasant out. They pass the eye test, their junior or sophomore group has more talent than ever, but they continue to struggle. I've been high on Mount Pleasant all year but am growing restless with the lack of progress. This team has way more talent than Pine Tree and regardless of the final result, I'm confident my Pirates will play the big four better than Mount Pleasant.
This game will be a defensive battle. I forsee some sloppy mistakes by both teams but think whoever is up at half will win. By that time, we will know who came to play. Mount Pleasant is our Homecoming game, and it's a tossup between motivation and distraction as how the increased status impacts our kids. I wish it were just a regular game. One interesting point is both head coaches are in their second season. It will be interesting to see the difference a year makes, and compare progress and refine my outlook for both programs next year.

MP DOES NOT have more talent than Pine Tree....at all! I'm not so sure that a convincing win in this game will dictate how the Pirates do against Hallsville........its been a while since PT beat the Bobcats. Hallsville has more athletes, more consistency in their coaching staff, and a lot more pride about themselves when they hit the field.

Pine Tree can easily win this game this week but this MP team is a lot better than their team last year. The Pirates are much improved but they are still on a 5 game losing streak! Looking to the near future, you have to wonder about the QB situation at Pine Tree.....the way Collins likes to run this offense makes you understand what type of QB he needs and the question is...do they have that type of kid coming up?

I agree that Collins is doing a much better job with the program than any coach I can remember in the past. It may not be showing in the win column right now, but Pine Tree is better off now than they were 3 years ago!

Collins needs to win a few games in a bad way so he can get out of Pine Tree and get him a pretty good job elsewhere. He can still possibly go 5-5, make the playoffs and likely hit Ennis in the 1st round......but I'm sure he's focused on getting a win in district right now rather than looking ahead like I am.

My prediction:

Pine Tree 48

Mount Pleasant 21

2nd and 25.

Pass to the 40.

3rd and 2.

Run to the 45 of Mp. Owens again.

1st and 10. Owens runs again.

2nd and 8. Pass to Johnson to the 29.

1st and 10. Owens runs to 12.

1st and 10. Owens to the 8.

2nd and 8.

3rd and 4. Holding penalty. Declined.

4th and 9. 21 seconds left in 3rd qtr. Going for a field goal. Hits the post. No good. MP ball from 20.