The Official 2016 Texas Rangers Thread

Stoney

I would like to see them bring back both Gallardo and Colby Lewis. I know that lineup is awfully left handed but I would rather see them give up on Josh Hamilton than Mitch Moreland. Why have they never talked about Moreland in the outfield, didn't he come up as an outfielder in the Rangers' organization? I also would like to be rid of Elvis Andrus and Derek Holland. Holland is another C.J. Wilson. A goofball and jokester who is more concerned with being funny than perfecting his craft.

I would like to see them bring back both Gallardo and Colby Lewis. I know that lineup is awfully left handed but I would rather see them give up on Josh Hamilton than Mitch Moreland. Why have they never talked about Moreland in the outfield, didn't he come up as an outfielder in the Rangers' organization? I also would like to be rid of Elvis Andrus and Derek Holland. Holland is another C.J. Wilson. A goofball and jokester who is more concerned with being funny than perfecting his craft.

Gallardo gets the $13 million offer regardless so the Rangers receive draft pick if he leaves. I think Colby comes back on a 1-2 year deal. He's been with team for long time and he eats more innings than he does hot dogs. I don't want him in my playoff roster, but he's valuable during those hot summer months.

As of now, Holland will have offseason to get it together. But he might be traded for a bull pen arm and a bat or prospects in June/July if he does not get it together. Elvis same story. They will see how he progresses and how Profar progresses too. They both have huge contracts so it will be hard to unload Elvis or Dutch oven.

As a rookie.... Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he hit .215 with 25 HRs and 60 RBIs. He has major flaws still. I'll always back him though, he's a tremendous athlete and a defensive upgrade over Moreland. One of the best if not the best gloves at 1B in the majors. He will always lack the focus to win a gold glove though. Dude has major ADD

I won't argue with most of your points. The defensive one is the only iffy statement for me. Moreland has a plus arm and glove. I wouldn't throw a fit if we picked up Davis, but I would have my reservations

Been saying that for a long time now about Elvis. Nobody is willing to wake over that AWFUL contract we gave him.

Yeah ok

A plus arm is considered accurate as well as strong. Just because Tom Grieve says he has plus tools doesn't mean that's the truth. The reason they won't move Moreland to OF is because he's not very good and his demeanor when asked to go take fly balls is not a professional one. I've seen it with my own eyes...

A plus arm is considered accurate as well as strong. Just because Tom Grieve says he has plus tools doesn't mean that's the truth. The reason they won't move Moreland to OF is because he's not very good and his demeanor when asked to go take fly balls is not a professional one. I've seen it with my own eyes...

I have plenty of knowledge to see for myself. I can make my own decisions, and his arm is accurate. You sure must be an insider to have all this knowledge about his demeanor on position changes.

I have plenty of knowledge to see for myself. I can make my own decisions, and his arm is accurate. You sure must be an insider to have all this knowledge about his demeanor on position changes.

Insider? Not quite, but knowing every scout in the organization pays dividends. His arm is strong, but he's the equivalent of Derek Holland. You kinda know and hope you know where the ball is going, but sometimes, you just don't. I.e. Toronto error by Moreland. There's a reason Moreland isn't up for a Gold Glove. Napoli has played 1B for 2 years and he's nominated...

Insider? Not quite, but knowing every scout in the organization pays dividends. His arm is strong, but he's the equivalent of Derek Holland. You kinda know and hope you know where the ball is going, but sometimes, you just don't. I.e. Toronto error by Moreland. There's a reason Moreland isn't up for a Gold Glove. Napoli has played 1B for 2 years and he's nominated...

Actually, Napoli has played 1B for 6 seasons, according to baseball-reference.com, and Moreland has less errors (20) than Napoli (31), plus a better fielding percentage, (.995 to .992), and Napoli has him beat in assists by 6, (307 to 301). The argument that he hasn't played 1B very long doesn't hold water, especially since he was playing there in the minors and fall leagues from 2000 to 2006. So, compared to Napoli, Moreland is the better defensive first baseman. Now, if we compare Chris Davis to Mitch Moreland, Davis's numbers are slightly better than Moreland's are projected to be, since he has been playing for 2 more years in the majors. Let's take 2015 stats though. Chris Davis had one less error, (4 to 3), on over 100 less chances, (938 to 1043). His assist numbers were also lower, (53 to 64), and the fielding percentages were almost identical, (.997 to .996). So, statistically, Moreland and Davis are the same defensively.

Actually, Napoli has played 1B for 6 seasons, according to baseball-reference.com, and Moreland has less errors (20) than Napoli (31), plus a better fielding percentage, (.995 to .992), and Napoli has him beat in assists by 6, (307 to 301). The argument that he hasn't played 1B very long doesn't hold water, especially since he was playing there in the minors and fall leagues from 2000 to 2006. So, compared to Napoli, Moreland is the better defensive first baseman. Now, if we compare Chris Davis to Mitch Moreland, Davis's numbers are slightly better than Moreland's are projected to be, since he has been playing for 2 more years in the majors. Let's take 2015 stats though. Chris Davis had one less error, (4 to 3), on over 100 less chances, (938 to 1043). His assist numbers were also lower, (53 to 64), and the fielding percentages were almost identical, (.997 to .996). So, statistically, Moreland and Davis are the same defensively.

Great research, but there's no categories for errors saved...

I liked Maddux.

A bullpen arm or two. A catcher either to supplant or work with Chirenos. Is a #3 on the staff or do you add, resign Gallardo,Lewis. The need for a right hand bat and how you go about it getting it. Trade or free agency. Starter or platoon guy.

You fix a couple of those and your repeating as AL West Champs.

I liked Maddux.

A bullpen arm or two. A catcher either to supplant or work with Chirenos. Is a #3 on the staff or do you add, resign Gallardo,Lewis. The need for a right hand bat and how you go about it getting it. Trade or free agency. Starter or platoon guy.

You fix a couple of those and your repeating as AL West Champs.

Agreed. I'd take Lewis or Gallardo, either one will eat innings and are solid vets that know how to turn it up in big situations. I hope they re sign Napoli.

If Gallardo can be had for last years money I'd bring him back. I've written Colby off the past couple of years and when finally healthy sets a career high in wins. Darvish, Hamels, Gallardo, Holland, Perez or Darvish , Hamels, Holland, Lewis, Perez- Anything like that will be fine. However, If you want to move Holland or Perez to get that bat that could work too.

Napoli would be perfect. Great against lefties. Platoon able with Gallo or Moreland at first. Push come to shove he can play LF. Just don't watch him play it.

Kela, Dyson, Deikman, Tolleson. Very solid bullpen. If you can find a lefty to team with Deikman or another power righty, Scheppers might be healthy in house, they could be dominant.

Great research, but there's no categories for errors saved...

There may not be, but one error doesn't change the fact that he is an upper tier first baseman defensively. Either way, this argument is moot unless they want to pony up even more cash for Chris Davis (probably in the realm of 6 years, 144 million) or someone else. The list, besides Davis is as such for free agents.

Jeff Baker (35 yrs)

Kyle Blanks (29)

Edwin Encarnacion (33)- 8 million club option with 2 million buyout

Corey Hart (34)

Kelly Johnson (34)

Garret Jones (35)

Adam Lind (- 8 million club option with a 500k buyout

Justin Moreneau (35)

Mike Napoli (34)

Byung-ho Park- Posted by KBO's Nexen Heroes

Steve Pearce (33)

Mark Reynolds (32)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

Chris Parmelee (28)

Not exactly the biggest names or best talents to choose from, unless you choose Davis, which takes Napoli out of the mix and straps you financially