The Official 2016 Texas Rangers Thread

Stoney

Recently acquired James Jones and Nick Tepesch were non tendered sending them to free agency.

Chris Gimenez signs a one year deal.

Colby Lewis has gotten interest from a few teams.

Rumors that Napoli may not be back due to lack of position. A power right handed bat should have a spot somewhere in this lineup, somehow.

Recently acquired James Jones and Nick Tepesch were non tendered sending them to free agency.

Chris Gimenez signs a one year deal.

Colby Lewis has gotten interest from a few teams.

Rumors that Napoli may not be back due to lack of position. A power right handed bat should have a spot somewhere in this lineup, somehow.

they have been saying they need a power right handed bat. Napoli makes as much sense as anyone. besides if they get one what position do they need. i think they could trade Moreland and play Napoli at 1st but they love Mitch and i understand. could really do without Prince but are stuck with his contract

Numbers wise somebody has to go. 2 lefties at first. Gallo probably playing a super sub role. 3B, DH, LF, 1B. Mitch almost has to be the one moved. I can't see Prince with his contract being moved unless one of the Evil Empires want him. Mitch is still young enough with lefty pop to be attractive in a deal.

that's my thinking is to move Mitch although I hate to lose his defense at 1st base

Like Mitch too. If you keep Napoli you either have to DH him or play him at 1st. Unless you wanna take your chances at him in LF, ugh. Gallo/ Fielder at 1B/DH and Hamilton platooning with a righty might be more likely. I just dont see a FA righty that blows me away. Solid guys, 4th/5th outfielder types.

Rumors are Rangers could be looking to add a front end rotation pitcher. You get someone to team with Hamels till Darvish comes back, then have a three headed monster. I could live with that.

Like Mitch too. If you keep Napoli you either have to DH him or play him at 1st. Unless you wanna take your chances at him in LF, ugh. Gallo/ Fielder at 1B/DH and Hamilton platooning with a righty might be more likely. I just dont see a FA righty that blows me away. Solid guys, 4th/5th outfielder types.

Rumors are Rangers could be looking to add a front end rotation pitcher. You get someone to team with Hamels till Darvish comes back, then have a three headed monster. I could live with that.

With Gallo, you have a guy who can play 4 positions -- 1b, 3b, Lf, DH. The only real concern is his SO ratio, which is high. Gallo is not a huge disadvantage at 1b over Mitch. We'll see. I'm going to miss Mitch for no other reason than its fun to make fun of him with the word that rhymes with his first name.

Gallo may get to show off his versatility this year. Hopefully not but an older Beltre and Hambone it's a matter of when, not if.

Looking like Iwakuma is headed to Dodgers.

Greinke and Price deals?! What will Darvish get if he hits the market? Good night!!!

^When he hits the market next year-- not if. He get a 6-7 year deal. And he's a year younger than Price.

Talks b/w Pirates and Rangers are heating up for Moreland. Sources say that Rangers want bullpen guys and back end starters - no or little minor leagers will be involved.

Chris Davis close to signing with Toronto

Tolleson is on the trading block = 2-3 teams interested.

Rangers Receiving Interest In Relievers, Could Consider Trade

December 7th, 2015 at 6:22pm CST • By Steve Adams

6:21pm: Rangers GM Jon Daniels acknowledges that the team has received interest in pen arms and would consider dealing one if it could make upgrades elsewhere on the major league roster, Grant tweets.

3:38pm: The Rangers have been discussing closer Shawn Tolleson in trades with other clubs, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. While Grant gives no indication that the team is shopping Tolleson, he does point out that the Rangers have a fairly deep bullpen featuring solid arms such as Keone Kela, Jake Diekman, Sam Dyson and Tom Wilhelmsen, so the team could potentially afford to part ways with a reliever. Texas’ offseason priorities include another rotation arm and a power-hitting right-handed bat, Grant adds.

Tolleson’s name is a new entry to the possible market for clubs looking for late-inning relief help. The 27-year-old has quietly emerged as an upper-echelon relief arm over the past two seasons, totaling 144 innings of 2.88 ERA ball for the Rangers. Tolleson has averaged 9.1 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 to go along with a ground-ball rate of about 41 percent in his past two seasons. He also served as the Rangers’ primary closer in 2015, converting 35 of the 37 opportunities with which he was presented.

Tolleson is arbitration eligible for the first time this winter and projects to earn $2.6MM, per MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz. He can be controlled through the 2018 season via the arbitration process before hitting the open market. The Astros, Nationals, Blue Jays and Dodgers have all been recently connected to bullpen upgrades in some capacity.

The Rangers have had internal discussions about adding free agent first baseman/outfielder Steve Pearce, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports via Twitter. Pearce has long seemed a good match on paper for Texas, which has a heavily left-handed lineup.

Meanwhile, the Rangers are looking at bringing Colby Lewis back and want to add at least two starters, Sullivan tweets. Texas would be looking for a rotation piece in any theoretical deal of first baseman Mitch Moreland.

While the Rangers‘ interest in righty Joe Kelly now seems dead in the water after Boston dealt Wade Miley, Texas could also look to chat with the Red Sox about a possible deal for a catcher, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram tweets. Tigers backstop Bryan Holaday could draw some attention from Texas as well, Sullivan adds on Twitter. As MLB.com’s Jason Beck notes on Twitter, Holaday is out of options and could hit the waiver wire if he loses the team’s reserve catching job to the just-signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

In other Rangers-related backstop news, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel tweets that he’s told the team “covets” Brewers receiver Jonathan Lucroy. Of course, as he adds, Milwaukee likely won’t move Lucroy unless it can achieve a “huge return.

The Rangers have interest in free agent outfielder Justin Ruggiano as a right-handed depth piece, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Ruggiano is a very tough out for opposing southpaws, creating a potential fit with the heavily left-handed Texas lineup.

Rangers, Tony Barnette Agree To Two-Year Deal

December 10th, 2015 at 10:30am CST • By Steve Adams

10:30am: Barnette’s deal also contains a club option for 2018, tweets Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

9:17am: The Rangers and right-handed reliever Tony Barnette are in agreement on a two-year contract, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. Barnette, 32, is a former D-backs farmhand that never broke into the Majors before heading over to Japan and establishing himself as a dominant closer. He is represented by the Wasserman Media Group.

The Rangers will owe a $500K posting fee to Nippon Professional Baseball’s Yakult Swallows as compensation for losing Barnette, which will be in addition to the value of the contract actually issued by Texas. Barnette has a career 3.58 ERA with the Swallows in Japan but is coming off a season in which he posted a pristine 1.29 ERA with 8.0 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 in 62 2/3 innings of work.

With the Rangers reportedly adding reliever Tony Barnette, there’s yet more reason to believe the club could strike a deal involving one of its young pen assets, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Diamondbacks have widely been tabbed as one pursuer, and Grant says that Arizona is eyeing late-inning hurlers Shawn Tolleson and Keone Kela. Though the D’Backs are said to be hesitant to part with young righty Archie Bradley, Grant says that exactly who Texas is eyeing in trade talks.

• 4 weeks later...