The Smoakhouse Forums

Texas A&M Aggies @ Ole Miss.

Crazy stat from the radio guy that broke down the first half of the game. Last week A&M had 1 penalty for 5 yds... in the first quarter they had 6 penalties for 82 yards. ..

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of stories and comments from national media along the lines of "is it time we stop expecting A&M to do anything?"   Don't worry Aggy friends. I blocked them all from SD for violating Aggy h

I had to edit your post... You are not Texas Aggies... You are Texas A&M.

The offense is just awful. Defense has played fine, just getting gassed.   Kyle Allen is clearly hurt. He is not throwing hard or accurate. Jake Spavital has to go. This loss is on him and Kyle All

I edited it for clarity. I've listened to your radio guy for the past hour. It's always Fighting Texas Aggies or Texas A&M Aggies from the guy who has called games for you guys forever. I wasn't really trying to be an A-hole, but the way Lion posts it each week it looks as if he is posting about a completely different school.

You can bail on the site for the weekend if you wish, but before you jump to irrational conclusions and encourage our member base the same, maybe you should ask the moderator who did it a damn question for clarity first...

With how they are playing, I think they should remove the word "Texas" from their school name and various nicknames. Their play is an embarrassment to the state!

With how they are playing, I think they should remove the word "Texas" from their school name and various nicknames. Their play is an embarrassment to the state!

Speaking of, I was listening to ESPN Dallas this morning and they were talking about who would they consider to be the elite coaches of College football today... Aggie guy calls in and says Sumlin. The ESPN Radio guy basically calls out the Aggie fan base who had supposedly claimed this to him several times before and said something along the lines of "The Aggies have not reached their full potential under Sumlin yet. Every year is supposed to be the year according to Aggie fans and they always lose to the good teams. Sumlin is a good coach and a hell of a recruiter, but you can't call him great until he wins something other than the off-season."

My guess is that Aggies have tried to beat him down mentally also lol

The offense is just awful. Defense has played fine, just getting gassed.

Kyle Allen is clearly hurt. He is not throwing hard or accurate. Jake Spavital has to go. This loss is on him and Kyle Allen. More on Spavital for not having a gameplan in place to protect his hurt qb or making the move to Murray when it was clear Allen doesn't have it today.

• Like 1

Pretty pathetic offensive performance. O-Line can't block. Can't even create a crease in a 5 on 4 situation. Receivers have got to be tired of getting hung out to dry. Not sure if Allen is hurt or if he just isn't ready to compete with the top tier of the SEC but Sumlin and Spav stuck with him way too long this game. RSJ is finally turning into the receiver I thought he could be. Defense has adjusted well. Spav's 3 and out offense just seems very elementary. No rhythm, just pick something and see if it works.

Why isn't Kyler getting the backup snaps?

I think Kyler is transferring... I think he told Sumlin last week after not getting more reps when Allen was struggling and this is Sumlin trying to get someone else ready. Just my opinion.

Pretty pathetic offensive performance. O-Line can't block. Can't even create a crease in a 5 on 4 situation. Receivers have got to be tired of getting hung out to dry. Not sure if Allen is hurt or if he just isn't ready to compete with the top tier of the SEC but Sumlin and Spav stuck with him way too long this game. RSJ is finally turning into the receiver I thought he could be. Defense has adjusted well. Spav's 3 and out offense just seems very elementary. No rhythm, just pick something and see if it works.

Spot on. Allen is clearly hurt more than leading on, and Spavital is in way over his head as a play caller. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season because I thought his first season ever calling plays and having to adjust post Johnny manziel would be a challenge, but in year two he clearly is just as lost in terms of establishing a rhythm and setting his players in good positions to succeed. Elementary is EXACTLY the word to use when referring to how he looks right now. Just a boy amongst men right now.

Why would he even suit out and travel with the team?

He's already burned his shirt, maybe he is just gonna travel and maybe get some reps and leave after the season. He can't go anywhere now so might as well stick it out.

Spot on. Allen is clearly hurt more than leading on, and Spavital is in way over his head as a play caller. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season because I thought his first season ever calling plays and having to adjust post Johnny manziel would be a challenge, but in year two he clearly is just as lost in terms of establishing a rhythm and setting his players in good positions to succeed. Elementary is EXACTLY the word to use when referring to how he looks right now. Just a boy amongst men right now.

He's already burned his shirt, maybe he is just gonna travel and maybe get some reps and leave after the season. He can't go anywhere now so might as well stick it out.

Transfer.You burn him and this? I still have doubts about him being ready. Something happened I didn't mean to quote you Wet.

Transfer.You burn him and this? I still have doubts about him being ready.

Sumlin has always wanted Kyler to redshirt.... Kyler and his dad disagreed and wanted him to play even if a backup. I believe that was why he ended up at A&M and not Texas. I believe he was told the first few weeks he would get series regardless if he won the job and get some looks. Now he's clearly not ready. I completely agree. I think everyone can see that. But I think Kyler is unhappy because he doesn't think so.

Sumlin has always wanted Kyler to redshirt.... Kyler and his dad disagreed and wanted him to play even if a backup. I believe that was why he ended up at A&M and not Texas. I believe he was told the first few weeks he would get series regardless if he won the job and get some looks. Now he's clearly not ready. I completely agree. I think everyone can see that. But I think Kyler is unhappy because he doesn't think so.

Sorry read the rest I think SDC has us trolling.

Sorry read the rest I think SDC has us trolling.

I saw it after I responded lol. It's all good.

I agree with you though. Kyler isn't ready.

The thing that is going to have every person disappointed in him is his breaking tackle ability... Kyler is going to have to play like Johnny. Run around and improvise. Well what people forget is that Johnny was exceptionally strong in his core and lower body. He could get defenders off balance and break free from arm tackles, as well as still get power on passes while doing it. Kyler, cannot do that right now. He sets defenders up like what Johnny use to, but doesn't have the ability to break free from the initial tackle because he goes down first contact since he's so small/weak compared to Johnny.

I think Sumlin left Murray on the bench because he plans to start him next week. The Aggies should win their next four games, and this could be huge game experience for Murray before playing at LSU. If Sumlin put Murray in tonight and Murray struggled, we would have a QB controversy on our hands. At this point, Sumlin can go all in starting Monday just like Strong did with Heard.

I think Sumlin left Murray on the bench because he plans to start him next week. The Aggies should win their next four games, and this could be huge game experience for Murray before playing at LSU. If Sumlin put Murray in tonight and Murray struggled, we would have a QB controversy on our hands. At this point, Sumlin can go all in starting Monday just like Strong did with Heard.

That's possible... Kyler has just looked so lost every time he's been in I pray he's not going to be starting next week.

I'll say this once again, hats off to the defense. Ole miss had 17 possessions and A&M gave up 23 points despite all the 3 and outs. Really really gutsy performance. This could have been a 56-3 game if they had laid down.

The defense is definitely playing with a different attitude than I've seen in the recent past.

In typical Aggie fashion though, the minute we field a respectable defense, we go back to RC Slocum offensive production. Lol

You may be right he has burnt him why not try something else or there's something coming out of practice. If he doesn't the way Allen played it's a whole lot deeper than we know.

That's possible... Kyler has just looked so lost every time he's been in I pray he's not going to be starting next week.

I'll say this once again, hats off to the defense. Ole miss had 17 possessions and A&M gave up 23 points despite all the 3 and outs. Really really gutsy performance. This could have been a 56-3 game if they had laid down.

Should have been worse 4 missed picks.

Should have been worse 4 missed picks.

Well it could have been a lot worse for A&M. 'Miss also dropped many interception opportunities as well as getting a TD called back on a phantom chop block call. That play alone became a 10 point swing.

OK Wet is Sumlin in the warm seat?

I have what Finebaum said after he talked to the "higher ups" at CS. Hint 680m spent.

Yes his seat is warming up for sure. And not because he lost these two games. It's how he lost this game. Play calling has been questionable all year, and this week it really showed. Last week was a bad game for Allen. It happens. He got hurt towards the end. Where I think Sumlin deserves a ton of blame, is knowing you have a dinged up qb, you watch the offense play the way it did for 3 quarters before even making a change.

Sumlin is very much a CEO type coach. He lets his staff have total control. It made him look foolish with Snyder for two years. I was almost willing to push him off onto the burner for that. But now he's letting a extremely young and inexperienced playcaller who is clearly in way over his head, have complete control despite his obvious shortcomings. If there isn't a shake up on the staff this week, Sumlin is on the hot seat. Plain and simple.

This loss wasn't as ugly, but it was extremely similar to the 59-0 Bama game last year. Just a pathetic offensive performance that made them look like a jv coach was calling plays. For a offensive minded HC and team, you've let your offense score 1 Td in the last 9 quarters of football. Unacceptable.

So long story short. Yes, he's on the hot seat.

Well so much for A&M being any good this year

It's incredible how much progress the defense is making and how far the offense is regressing. I just didn't see that coming entering the season. These two losses hurt, but it's the regression of the offense that has me more troubled. I predicted 9-3 to start the year. They are on pace for about that. So it's not the results that bother me, it's getting dominated by a ole miss defense that was short two all Americans today. Upsetting to say the least.