Kansas @ Texas

JustAFan11

I haven't got a chance to read much of Strongs PC but I took a couple quotes from it.

@JeffHowe247: Strong said the loss to Iowa State is a direct reflection of a poor job by the coaching staff to prepare the team. #HookEm #Longhorns

Well I'm glad he cleared that up.

Most teams have a WTH? moment in each season. Sometimes it results in a loss like the Iowa State game last week, sometimes just an ugly win. I'll take an ugly win anytime over a cliffhanger loss that the team played fairly well, yet still lost, BTW...

All that said, I don't see ANY way that the Horns do not rebound, probably in a big way.

Texas wins, and I look for the coaching staff to force Heard to throw the ball downfield. The continued excuse that Heard is not ready to run the playbook is no longer valid. While I agree to keep it simple for him, I do not agree to tell Heard to check one WR and then look to run. If Kansas does like Iowa State and uses a defender to shadow Heard, that leaves openings in the secondary.

Right now teams are going to load the box until Heard proves he can complete the ball downfield. The QB for Iowa State had some terrible throwing stats early in the game, but the attempts kept our defense honest to the passing game which opened some holes in the running game. Our coaches can't have the mentality that we'll just run over a team because we have better recruits. Those opposing coaches put in a lot of time game planning with the notion that Texas will have better athletes. Strong and company need to game plan and prepare like we are playing OU every week, and not tell our players that Iowa State is not very good.

Texas wins, and I look for the coaching staff to force Heard to throw the ball downfield. The continued excuse that Heard is not ready to run the playbook is no longer valid. While I agree to keep it simple for him, I do not agree to tell Heard to check one WR and then look to run. If Kansas does like Iowa State and uses a defender to shadow Heard, that leaves openings in the secondary.

Right now teams are going to load the box until Heard proves he can complete the ball downfield. The QB for Iowa State had some terrible throwing stats early in the game, but the attempts kept our defense honest to the passing game which opened some holes in the running game. Our coaches can't have the mentality that we'll just run over a team because we have better recruits. Those opposing coaches put in a lot of time game planning with the notion that Texas will have better athletes. Strong and company need to game plan and prepare like we are playing OU every week, and not tell our players that Iowa State is not very good.

I'm not going to predict a Texas win. Every time I predict something about Texas the exact opposite seems to happen.

It will be a long night if Flowers and Doyle play as badly as they did last weekend. Pressure up the middle instantly disrupts the passing game unless you're willing to roll out the QB and by all accounts I've read the offense is too "primitive" for this. I also wonder if Watson isn't messing up Heard's development. I'm guessing here but I would think the QB's drops and timing are different in the west coast offense than the spread and by all accounts the spread is totally alien to Watson.

I'm not going to predict a Texas win. Every time I predict something about Texas the exact opposite seems to happen.

It will be a long night if Flowers and Doyle play as badly as they did last weekend. Pressure up the middle instantly disrupts the passing game unless you're willing to roll out the QB and by all accounts I've read the offense is too "primitive" for this. I also wonder if Watson isn't messing up Heard's development. I'm guessing here but I would think the QB's drops and timing are different in the west coast offense than the spread and by all accounts the spread is totally alien to Watson.

I agree with the Watson take! I think he's been useless since his demotion.

I don't see how Charlie doesn't revamp the vast majority of the offensive staff this offseason.

I read where someone said promote Traylor and bring in another Texas HS coach. Might not be a bad idea. I don't know how many high profile OC's would want to come to Texas with the ax hovering over Strong's neck in 2016.

If I had to guess I'd say Fenves and Perrin won't pull the trigger this year

I keep going back and forth on this! At times I think he'll be back for a 3rd year but sometimes I look at him during a press conference or his spots on LHN and he looks exhausted! I had a friend tell me he thinks Strong will leave on his own. Now I don't believe this guy has any has any connections to anyone and I don't see Strong giving up!

I keep going back and forth on this! At times I think he'll be back for a 3rd year but sometimes I look at him during a press conference or his spots on LHN and he looks exhausted! I had a friend tell me he thinks Strong will leave on his own. Now I don't believe this guy has any has any connections to anyone and I don't see Strong giving up!

You're right that Strong looks exhausted. On Longhorn Rewind or whatever it's called he looks worn out even after a win.

Who knows what might happen after the Baylor game. Some people are thinking he will bolt to Coral Gables after he called TCU, Miami. Freudian slip?