Gilmer (11-0) vs Mexia (7-4) @ Mesquite Memorial Stadium

blackcats254

Gilmer vs Mexia  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This one should be a good one. Gilmer strength is there d-line my opinion 34, 26, and 5 are pretty stout, I question there DB'S though I won't say they are bad but I believe Adair and Williams will challenge them if they wanna stick to the 1on1 coverage. A healthy Gerald will give Gilmer defense fits on the back end, I actually like the speed they play with but I also like the speed, talent and size of our receivers. our line played with great confidence against the big boys from Shepard so hopefully that carry over to Friday as well. Our record is 7-4 but we could honestly be 9-2 or 10-1 shhh maybe 11-0 with a healthy Gipson and others, also better weather condition games but you have to still perform no matter what so that's on us. But if you think yall going to come roll us and struggled with a less athletic opponent then mexia then you are in for a rude awakening freeman and ray will have the defense pumped and if the blackcats show up with that swagger/intensity they had last week early and handle adversity well Friday night then I can see the defending champs having an early exit.

Yea this game will have a packed house Friday night with a lot of talent on both sides of the ball for both teams our stud athlete been nursing a injury but hopefully he will be able to go this Friday and if that's the case I like our chances even more. We put together 4 quarters of good football then I believe we will have a chance to shock some people on this thread Friday night.

This one should be a good one. Gilmer strength is there d-line my opinion 34, 26, and 5 are pretty stout, I question there DB'S though I won't say they are bad but I believe Adair and Williams will challenge them if they wanna stick to the 1on1 coverage. A healthy Gerald will give Gilmer defense fits on the back end, I actually like the speed they play with but I also like the speed, talent and size of our receivers. our line played with great confidence against the big boys from Shepard so hopefully that carry over to Friday as well. Our record is 7-4 but we could honestly be 9-2 or 10-1 shhh maybe 11-0 with a healthy Gipson and others, also better weather condition games but you have to still perform no matter what so that's on us. But if you think yall going to come roll us and struggled with a less athletic opponent then mexia then you are in for a rude awakening freeman and ray will have the defense pumped and if the blackcats show up with that swagger/intensity they had last week early and handle adversity well Friday night then I can see the defending champs having an early exit.

We feel fortunate just to be in the 2nd round

A hallmark of Buckeye teams during Championship runs has been their ability to "Peak" at the right time. Getting 16-17 year old kids to focus on anything for 5-6 weeks is a challenge, (which I think is 90% of what the problem was Friday night). And there has always been a Quarter here or there during those runs when they lost a little edge. But they always seemed to get it back together and play their best when it mattered the most.

Looking at the brackets, I do not see this year's run having any "Dominant" teams standing in Gilmer's way. Honestly, 2015 Gilmer is not anywhere near the dominant ting power that the 2009 or 2014 Buckeyes were. But the good news is, I don't think there are any 2012 Navasota type teams looming in the bracket that can just physically dominate Gilmer. If they can lock in and really start playing their best football, we may see a little of the "Why NOT us?" Mentality that the 2004 bunch developed as they went deeper and deeper into the playoffs. Demarco's quotes after the game Friday were 100% correct. DEFENSE wins Championships... And the Buckeyes have a good one!

Just my opinion, but watching Gilmer's opponents since the Bullard game, I think we will continue to see DCs keep loading the box and forcing Gilmer to beat them through the air. That will bring weather, QB Play, WR sure hands and "Pace" (normally Gilmer strengths) to the forefront and force Gilmer's defense to play a LOT of downs (as they have vs Bullard and again last Friday). The traditional formula for Gilmer has been "Play fast, extend the game and get as many offensive snaps as possible!" That works GREAT when you can jump out to a 2-3 TD lead, and I think that will be the key to success for Gilmer from here on in. Get out to an early, force your opponent to play "Catch Up" and get into a second half scenario where Gilmer can unleash that stable of RBs and just pound the Rock and eat the clock. We have seen Gilmer win a couple of close games because the defense has the knack for making the big play on big downs. But the playoffs are always going to have good teams, but this year I don't see any DOMINANT D2 Teams in the bracket... So if Gilmer can 1) Win the turnover ballet, 2) Win the Special Teams Field Position game, and 3) Continue playing good defense, there is no reason to think the Buckeyes can't (dare I say) repeat!

I know Gilmer fans are accustomed to being the 800 pound gorilla in the playoffs, and the 2015 Bux are plenty talented! But unlike past years, they are simply going to have to execute for 4 quarters and play their best to avoid getting knocked off each week. I expect to see a 42-31 type win against Mexia, then a 35-31 type game the next week. If they get by these next two, all bets are off ;-). Given a 7 turnover performance, they are lucky to still be in the tournament. But the staff knows better than any staff in TX HS Football what the playoffs are about. WIN the NEXT PLAY.... Survive and advance! Near-sighted is the ONLY way to roll in November! We'll see if Gilmer can begin to overcome "Being Gilmer" this Friday... If they do, watch out!

I agree with your entire post except the first half of paragraph 3. I do agree that teams will load the box to stop our run game. PG did that, and it almost worked, but it wasn't that they just got tired on defense late, because their offense did a pretty good job running down the clock. Even considering they didn't have far to go on their Offensive drives. I would actually not want to see weather, QB play, WR sure hands or pace be our problem this week. I'd love for Gilmer to come out and play ball control, smash mouth football and still score like we did in the 3rd and 4th quarters against PG. To do so, I think Cambron Granville would be our best opt at RB, and put Poppy in his place on defense. Cambron is a beast, and IMHO our best RB. We've not consistently jumped out to a 2 - 3 TD lead on many folks this season. I've said all season, our running game is a good one, and "maybe?" something we can utilize more early. I am not complaining,, we've won no matter how we've started out. I'm just not sure we should force Zach to have to make plays early in the game. Our defense has played great when we've had to, but I don't want us to keep forcing them to make plays late.

Speaking of Zach, I love that kids leadership, and tenacity. He plays very hard, and never quits trying. I was pretty frustrated early against PG,, felt we should be making better plays, and admit that Zach wasn't on his game early, and yes he made a few bad throws "high". But,,,, his tenacity and never quit attitude paid off later. As I reflect back on the game, I think Zach made several more good throws than bad ones. He had some key throws when our backs were up against the wall late in the game. The big throw to Kollin Hurt for example. And two of our turnovers early bounced right out of our receivers hands and into theirs. People want to blame him,, but that wasn't his fault. The throw into the endzone, well Zach has to own that one. But his best throw of the night, (and maybe season) was when he had to scramble to his right, was almost out of bounds, and made a "superb" throw to Kelton over a couple of defenders,, only to have it fumbled ten yards or more down field. And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't PG score on that play, or just a couple later? my memory is fuzzy about that,, but so what,,, I'm old.

I would love to see us come out early, and if we have good field position after the KO,, try to set up the pass with the running game, I don't care how many they put in the box. Let our passing game not be forced into quick pace. Let's play a bit calmer,, settle in, and make Mexia's defense stay on the field a while. I honestly don't think we have a quick strike type of offense this year, at least it hasn't work often early in the games. I've never been a big proponent of passing on first down, once in a while maybe, but especially not a majority of the time. Put Cambron, and Rashad or Trendon in the back field, so they couldn't key on just one, and pound the rock,,,, 2nd and five is much easier to pick up than 2nd and 10. That opens up your whole game plan. I'm not complaining,, that would just be my personal opinion, and preference. But that's probably why I'm sitting in the stands, and not on the sidelines wearing an orange and black shirt with "coach" written on it. LOL

Adair? Is that coach adair's son? (Larry not Shane)

Kid can play. I think when Mexia lines Williams up on the outside and Adair at the slot is when the Cats are most dangerous. That's with a healthy Gipson and healthy Gerald. Mexia can win this game if they limit the penalties and don't turn the ball over. Freeman is the best D-lineman I have seen this season from 4A down and will give Gilmer fits which allows Ray to be the playmaker he is. Good luck to Mexia

I don't think any team can straight up beat Gilmer in the bracket until Celina in the semi's. With that said, the PG game showed that turnovers and silly mistakes can beat anyone. In my opinion, Gilmer will have to beat themselves in order to lose to Mexia. If limited turnovers are combined with disciplined play, I say Gilmer wins 42-21.

• Like 1

If you wanna BE the Champs, you gotta BEAT the Champs. I think Gilmer handling Carthage earlier this season would be about the best team Gilmer has played. Carthage is still rolling in their bracket, and I think they will roll for several more weeks. It will be interesting to see if Mexia is that caliber of team. Regardless of who gets Gilmer this week, their timing is pretty bad. As I expect Gilmer to be fully "Gilmer" in this one after last week. They will come out with something to prove. And I Would think this will be by far Mexia's toughest test of the season. Mexia undoubtedly has talent to be past the first round... But Inthink it will take all the Kats can muster to be in this one. Just the wrong week to catch #5 with a chip on his shoulder.

I don't think any team can straight up beat Gilmer in the bracket until Celina in the semi's. With that said, the PG game showed that turnovers and silly mistakes can beat anyone. In my opinion, Gilmer will have to beat themselves in order to lose to Mexia. If limited turnovers are combined with disciplined play, I say Gilmer wins 42-21.

I would not overlook Center or Fairfield........

I so hope you are correct. But u have more confidence in Gilmer's talent than should be.