Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. SOC  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• SOC in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • SOC in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

It's a rematch of last year's area game, won handily by SOC at Tyler's Rose Stadium.

The Golden Bears are (8-3). They started the season (0-3) with losses to Cedar Hill (46-7), South Grand Prairie (14-10) and DeSoto (38-9).

They have since piled up 8 consecutive wins, including Friday night's 17-14 win over Mansfield Timberview (5-6).

I'll post more stats on SOC later on.

I'll update Marshall's stats too, but wanted to get the thread started.

SOC had MAYBE 60 fans in Tyler last year. I wonder if being in their own backyard will matter...?

Was proud of the crowd we had at PT today. Bigger and better next week!

That SGP game is looking a lot nicer after their win over Trinity.

But agreed, they aren't what they were last year. Cam and the defense won it for the Mavs today. Interested to hear if they can get it into the hands of someone other than #5.

That SGP game is looking a lot nicer after their win over Trinity.

But agreed, they aren't what they were last year. Cam and the defense won it for the Mavs today. Interested to hear if they can get it into the hands of someone other than #5.

Yup. They forced us into being one dimensional.

Gotta just give props to Lindale. They forced us out of our game plan.

Chavis Mills has been a beast this season running the ball, over 1,000 yards and he was completely shut down today. Everytime he touched the ball he was thrown for a loss it seemed because Lindale was blowing up our offensive line.

Cam got his yards from pure athleticism. Lindale couldn't bring him down.

Cam had a strong day throwing the ball in the first half. But struggled the second half...... running for his life.

Too many talented WR's (Patton, Dabbs) and 2 guys with over 1,000 yards rushing (Mills, Haller) .... and a third that has shown flashes of brilliance..... no reason for us to be one dimensional IMHO.

Early forecast calls for rain next Saturday..... SMH.

Figured we would have some SOC fans come over here and chat like they did last year.

They beat us down pretty hard last year (55-35)..... hoping for a more competitive game this time around.

Our defense is better than last season, but offense is still reinventing itself with a new QB with 4 games under his belt now.

I have no idea what they have coming back..... they were loaded to the teeth with D-1 players last season and they really showed out against us. But they did give up a lot of points to us......

Should be interesting. Can't wait till Saturday.

Yup. They forced us into being one dimensional.

Gotta just give props to Lindale. They forced us out of our game plan.

Chavis Mills has been a beast this season running the ball, over 1,000 yards and he was completely shut down today. Everytime he touched the ball he was thrown for a loss it seemed because Lindale was blowing up our offensive line.

Cam got his yards from pure athleticism. Lindale couldn't bring him down.

Cam had a strong day throwing the ball in the first half. But struggled the second half...... running for his life.

Too many talented WR's (Patton, Dabbs) and 2 guys with over 1,000 yards rushing (Mills, Haller) .... and a third that has shown flashes of brilliance..... no reason for us to be one dimensional IMHO.

Early forecast calls for rain next Saturday..... SMH.

Play calling had a lot to do with that momentum swing in the second half.

The Mavs defense bailed them out last Saturday against a mediocre offensive team in Lindale. The coaching staff has to do a better job of play calling and getting others involved in the offense. Haller cannot do it all. I would have went to #17 every time they lined him up isolated on one side of the formation and in man to man. That #15 could not hold him.

Jakeelee that was a Lobo fan commenting not a Mav fan. But in his defense he didnt call Lindale a mediocre TEAM but said they had a mediocre offense. The Eagle defense was very good and made Marshall work for everything they got. In comparison to other offenses that we faced however Lindale was not that great. Thats not a disrespect at all. Some teams are built around a good offense and some a stout defense. Nothing but respect here!

• Like 1

Jakeelee that was a Lobo fan commenting not a Mav fan. But in his defense he didnt call Lindale a mediocre TEAM but said they had a mediocre offense. The Eagle defense was very good and made Marshall work for everything they got. In comparison to other offenses that we faced however Lindale was not that great. Thats not a disrespect at all. Some teams are built around a good offense and some a stout defense. Nothing but respect here!

My point exactly. Lindale was a well coached team, however, defense was their strong suit. The Mavs took their foot of the pedal and Lindale's defense took advantage. And not to take anything from the Mavs defense that stood up and made stops when they needed to.

Why y'all letting SOC take you to their back yard to play?

Harper discussed this at the booster meeting.

It was a compromise of sorts.

SOC played last Thursday.... We played on Saturday. SOC wanted to play Thursday night again, which would have been a HUGE disadvantage for Marshall with such a short recovery and preparation time.

They would only agree to a Saturday game if we would agree to playing in the metroplex.

Apparently SOC also took issue with the racial makeup of the officiating crew as well. Take that anyway you wish. I think it's ridiculous. *shrug*.

Amazing to me what becomes an issue sometimes.

IF we take care of business this weekend and depending on the outcome of a couple of other games, rumor has that it a game in Arlington has been penciled in for Thanksgiving weekend.

So im guessing if Frisco Lone Star beats Forney and we advance we would play them at ATT. I dont see us playing Forney there. And i know this is crazy talk just thinking WAY ahead ... IF Marshall and Hallsville were to play again where would that be? Lobo? Because that would be double the drive for us as it would be for them. And i would hope that none of the officials for THAT game own a pair of wranglers. That just wouldnt be fair at all.

Now that AT&T stadium has started having quadruple headers instead of just 3 games..... that's 8 potential games there Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.

There are only 16 games in region I and II left for both divisions of 6A and 5A by the third round. Soooo IF a coach is interested in playing there, math says that's a 50/50 chance of it happening.

Of course that percentage goes down if there are some 4A games ATT might would be interested in. I've seen some 4A games bring in crowds that can rival 5A and 6A games.

I would be thrilled to have Longview and Marshall play on the same day at ATT.

BUT..... I think both of us have our hands full this weekend. No sense in talking about it until we take care of business this week.

SOC cleaned our clock last season, so we've got work to do. Longview has a tough one this week too. If we advance, we will have earned it.