5A D-II Region Semifinals: Marshall(11-1) Vs. Frisco Lone Star (11-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Frisco Lone Star  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lone Star in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Lone Star in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This will be the first meeting between the two schools.

Lone Star opened in in 2009. Here is a brief history of their football

2015: 11-1

2014: 7-3

2013: 8-5

2012: 7-4

2011: 4-6

2010: 0-10

Marshall is in the Region Semifinals for the first time since 2009. They have advanced to at least this round 9 times since 1988 and 13th time in program history.

Lone Star is coming off of a 55-13 win over Forney last week.

Marshall enters with a 35-3 win over Dallas South Oak Cliff.

I'll toss in the stats later on. But wanted to get the thread going.

Been a fun ride so far! GO MAVS GO!!!!

Marshall may need to give Trel Patton some practice time back at corner for this game. Teams seem to be going after the sophomore corner. He isnt a bad corner, just tends to get caught out of position at times. Lone Star has the weapons in the passing game to make you pay.

Lone Star has played at ATT before so that will be an advantage for them i believe. Wont be quite as wide eyed as we will be. But that only matters early in the game until everybody gets settled into the game. It looks like on video and stats their QB (i think his name is Shelley) is their offense. He leads the team in passing and rushing. Their offensive line gives up alot of penetration but the qb does a good job of scrambling and either taking off or finding the open wr. We must do a great job of containing him to the pocket while getting pressure. They run a 3-4 defense and get alot of pressure in the backfield. It looks like we might be able to spread them out and run it right at them. They arent huge but have athletes on both sides of the ball all over the field. Its gonna be a good one!

Doubt if Lone Star has played anybody this year with Marshall's team speed.....it looks as if Frisco (LS only loss) lined up and ran the ball right at them, then when LS loaded the box, the WR's ran past them.

Does look like LS defense is really good sideline to sideline....Mav D will need to keep the pressure on......difference is Mavs have more athletes and move on.....

Mavchamp​ don't hate on me this time. lol.. Didn't get to the SOC game but my dad did. He was extremely impressed with the Mavs performance. He's going Saturday too. If you see an old man with 1988 Mav state champ cap on, that's probably him.

Just wanted to remind everyone that when you're tired of Black Friday shopping in Longview, come over to Pine Tree stadium @ 6:00 and support the Waskom Wildcats. We play Arp. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Heck, you could probably leave by halftime since we're going to blow them out like we did earlier in the season.

• Like 2

I am just excited to go... I haven't seen a game since I left MHS for the metroplex... The way it sounds, everything has changed. I think there are maybe 2 coaches still on staff from when I worked there, so I am going to support my school and home town and the people that live there in it.

Back in the 1980s, the highlight of the Wonderland of Lights was the parade where all of the football players were on a float waving to all of the kids. I was one of those excited kids that cared more about seeing the football players than Santa Claus. I hope all of this success gives that sense of pride back to the city of Marshall. You guys have new schools coming, huge improvements to the high school, a energetic athletic program with support again, and a somewhat growing city again.

Go Mavs!

Lone Star has played at ATT before so that will be an advantage for them i believe. Wont be quite as wide eyed as we will be. But that only matters early in the game until everybody gets settled into the game. It looks like on video and stats their QB (i think his name is Shelley) is their offense. He leads the team in passing and rushing. Their offensive line gives up alot of penetration but the qb does a good job of scrambling and either taking off or finding the open wr. We must do a great job of containing him to the pocket while getting pressure. They run a 3-4 defense and get alot of pressure in the backfield. It looks like we might be able to spread them out and run it right at them. They arent huge but have athletes on both sides of the ball all over the field. Its gonna be a good one!

The Shelley kid has been their QB since he was a freshman. We played them (him) in the 3rd rd in '13.

Be careful with Marshall vs. Metroplex. Highland Park, McKinney Boyd, and SOC was terrible this year.

Anything you say really holds no validity IMHO.

Some of us actually have memories.

Before Harper was brought to Marshall you were one of those defending the previous regime and thought the demand for change and the decision to hire Harper would hold no bearing on the direction of the program.

You were an apologist for no change. You and that fool that was the sports editor for the MNM back then stated MHS no longer had football talent. The pool was dry and all the talent had left for Tatum, Hallsville, and others.

Those of us that knew better were called blind...... and that we were simply on a witch hunt. You guys told us that fans and alumni had unrealistic expectations for a program that was dying. That MHS football was no longer relevant. The talent was gone and no coach could turn it around.

Now..... just 3 years after the LOWEST POINT in program history, the Mavs are in the region semifinals. This on the heels of last season when we unexpectedly not only made the playoffs, but won a playoff game.

All this success and quick turnaround for a program with no talent..... and a coaching staff that is no better than the one that went 3-17 before it. Yeah......

No validity in a word you say.

And for the record...... some of us told you so.

I am just excited to go... I haven't seen a game since I left MHS for the metroplex... The way it sounds, everything has changed. I think there are maybe 2 coaches still on staff from when I worked there, so I am going to support my school and home town and the people that live there in it.

Back in the 1980s, the highlight of the Wonderland of Lights was the parade where all of the football players were on a float waving to all of the kids. I was one of those excited kids that cared more about seeing the football players than Santa Claus. I hope all of this success gives that sense of pride back to the city of Marshall. You guys have new schools coming, huge improvements to the high school, a energetic athletic program with support again, and a somewhat growing city again.

Go Mavs!

+1

One of the things that I love about small towns.

The success of the football team is a cherry on top. Lots of good things happening in this town.

The bond passed overwhelmingly and will bring all new schools for K-12. Downtown is exploding. Businesses are coming. ETBU continues to have steady growth and expansion. New blood and the younger generation is taking over city commission/business.....

Test scores are getting better and better..... morale is high.

Nice to see good things.

Hope to see some more Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

I am kinda disappointed this is only one page . I expected better . I am rooting for Marshall.

Agreed.

But it's hard to have dialogue when there hasn't been ONE SINGLE poster from SOC or FLS in two weeks.

Marshall is what it is..... our offense and defense isn't changing drastically week to week...... and the opposition is giving us nothing to chew on.

All I know is...... The Rangers are (11-1) and seem to have a high powered offense. Therefore they deserve our respect.

--------

Something I was looking at........

Mav defense has been on fire as far as giving up TD's..... take a look:

1. Held SOC out of the endzone.

2. Defense only truly gave up 1 TD vs. Lindale. One of the scores by the Eagles was thanks to a INT that was 2 yards short of a pick 6. That score is on the Marshall offense..... hard for a defense to keep a team out from 2 yards. Lindale had 1 other TD.

3. Had shutouts Vs. Greenville and SS.

That means they have surrendered just 2 touchdowns in the last 16 quarters. And really 1 if you count that "near pick 6" by Lindale.

Toss in the Texas High game and that's just six touchdowns surrendered in the last 20 quarters of play.

Not too shabby.

Frisco Lone Star started as 3A in our district when they first opened. They have quickly grown into probably one of the best football program in Frisco. When they were down in 3A we kept hearing about their younger kids coming thru and that they got the good feeder school. It's proved to be true, Shelley knocked us out of the playoffs as a freshman in the 2nd round. He's a good smart player the offense goes as he goes.

Frisco Lone Star started as 3A in our district when they first opened. They have quickly grown into probably one of the best football program in Frisco. When they were down in 3A we kept hearing about their younger kids coming thru and that they got the good feeder school. It's proved to be true, Shelley knocked us out of the playoffs as a freshman in the 2nd round. He's a good smart player the offense goes as he goes.

I have a question for you... with 100 middle schools feeding your 50 HSs... do you have specific feeder schools or is it all based on geographic location? Frisco is huge population-wise, but not really any bigger than any other DFW suburb... just curious on how that gets determined... also can a parent choose which HS in the distric to go to as long as they live within the limits of Frisco ISD?

I have a question for you... with 100 middle schools feeding your 50 HSs... do you have specific feeder schools or is it all based on geographic location? Frisco is huge population-wise, but not really any bigger than any other DFW suburb... just curious on how that gets determined... also can a parent choose which HS in the distric to go to as long as they live within the limits of Frisco ISD?

Long time Frisco resident here. When you have an ISD that had 400 students in high school in the early 90s to having 53,323 in the ISD and 14,310 in HS, it's pretty explosive growth. Lone Star HS was screwed by the lobbying of Wakeland HS parents for their first 4 years, so their enrollment was kept under 1,000. The ISD finally rezoned to direct those students to Lone Star, because if they didn't, Wakeland would have ended up with 3,000 students attending a school built for a max of 2,200.

That said,

1. No, families can not choose the HS. It's all based upon where the lines get drawn.

2. The exception is if a parent is an ISD employee. The student can either attend the HS in the zone or where the parent is employed.

3. There are primary MS feeders to the HS. Some MS are shared by a HS.

4. If course, sometimes those MS feeders change when they build a new HS. For example, Pioneer HS was Frisco HS primary feeder since 2005. Now they are Reedy HS's primary feeder.

Frisco ISD has lots of parents that put their kids into private schools. I guess you could say it's typical Collin Co in that regard.

Lone Star HS is in a good zone for athletic demographics. They pull from far Northwest Frisco and a bit from Little Elm.

Oh, and not smack talk from me. Sorry. I'm just an interested observer that agrees that East Texas football presents more size and speed than you typically see in DFW 5A. The only common opponent is Royse City through Forney (both were evenly matched). Marshall killed Royse City and Lone Star would have shut out Forney if not for sitting the starters in the 2nd half. That tells us nothing. I do think Marshall wins and I think it will be better than SOC. Last year was SOCs year. They're back to being typical DISD. Lots of athletes that quit at the first sign of an opponent with a pulse. Their DISD football district is atrociously horrible in football.

• Like 1

The Colony tried that....didn't work.

Forney tried that....saw where that got them.

Frisco brought them in and ran it......only loss for Lone Star.

Lone Star has not seen the full team speed that Marshall has, however, Lone Star has a lot more on the defensive side of the football that people think. Their only loss came vs. Frisco High on the night that about 10 inches of rain dropped in Frisco. The game was postponed twice due to lightning and the rain/wind never stopped. Frisco is a run first team. Lone Star is a spread team. Rain/wind doesn't help a spread team in those aspects.

The offensive line might give up a lot of penetration, but that's to their advantage with a dual threat QB. Play breaks down or the OL gives up penetration = time for a play-maker to thrive.

This is definitely going to be a good game. Lone Star is better vs. the run than most people are thinking. I know Haller has shown his arm over the past few games with, what, 6 TDs in the air? I don't know if that's due to him being that good with his arm after his first game to get the rust off, or if they were just playing really bad secondary teams?

Haller has shown nice accuracy when he does throw it. I think teams have been trying so hard to stop the run, its opened up some passing lanes. If an opponent is able to shut our run game down with 6 in the box, we are in trouble. Right now, play action is our best friend. When pass plays do break down, Cam has looked seasoned in moving around and keeping his eyes downfield. Both offenses should be able to score some points, so im going to say Antonio Washington will be the difference maker. If he can wreck havoc again we will be in good shape.

• Like 1