5A D-II Region Semifinals: Marshall(11-1) Vs. Frisco Lone Star (11-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Frisco Lone Star  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lone Star in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Lone Star in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

I havent watched the video of the Colony or Forney games so i cant really say why they werent successful running out of the spread against Lone Star. The Rangers look to be very athletic and quick to the ball but not overly with size. Marshall will not line up tight and run power football or else we would have done that against Texas High in the mud bowl game. We may do that in short yardage and goal line situations but not as our primary offense. To successfully run the ball out of the spread you need to have 2 things done well. #1 Your WRs must block at the point of attack. & #2 You need to have a viable runner at QB as well as RB. I believe we have done both well this season contributing to our offensive success. And to your point about speed you are probably correct that we will be the fastest overall team they have seen this season. If we can keep them honest with the occassional play action pass and not turn the ball over i think we can put up 28-35 points. It will be up to the defense then to keep up their strong play and contain Shelley and the potent Lone Star offense. I can see a 35 to 28 type of score playing out. Hopefully in our favor!

I havent watched the video of the Colony or Forney games so i cant really say why they werent successful running out of the spread against Lone Star. The Rangers look to be very athletic and quick to the ball but not overly with size. Marshall will not line up tight and run power football or else we would have done that against Texas High in the mud bowl game. We may do that in short yardage and goal line situations but not as our primary offense. To successfully run the ball out of the spread you need to have 2 things done well. #1 Your WRs must block at the point of attack. & #2 You need to have a viable runner at QB as well as RB. I believe we have done both well this season contributing to our offensive success. And to your point about speed you are probably correct that we will be the fastest overall team they have seen this season. If we can keep them honest with the occassional play action pass and not turn the ball over i think we can put up 28-35 points. It will be up to the defense then to keep up their strong play and contain Shelley and the potent Lone Star offense. I can see a 35 to 28 type of score playing out. Hopefully in our favor!

I pretty much agree with this. I've seen Lone Star 4 times this year and here's a few attributes that I've observed.

1. The OL is not overpowering and their pass protection is mediocre; I'd say they've been effective given the skill guys. Jason Shelly makes up for what I'd consider inconsistent protection. The kid came make plays on the move and he has a great feel for the pass rush.

2. They have 2 WRs that can flat out fly. Jaylen Dixon (#2) 4.40 40 and Michael Johnson (#9) (Houston offer). They also have another WR that seems to find the seams when Shelly is on the move.

3. The RB is (#22) and he's not going to put any fear onto your defense. He's not really fast (4.65 40), but he's a tough kid. The main run threat is Shelly. He's used to keep things honest.

4. Defensively, they will not pass your eye test. I can already tell you that. But the kids on the D line are a bunch of hard ###### 18 year old 230 lb to 250 lb kids. They don't get pushed around easily and are quick to the edge. The linebackers are pretty good. The free safety is Chris Miller (#6) (Baylor commit) and he's flat out the best football player on the team. Every game I've been to, he has text book tackles were he just laid the guy out. Against Prosper, there were 4 tackles were the kid got up and limped to the sidelines.

Anyway, I think your 35 - 28 score is pretty accurate. I'm only imagining that a team that beat Longview is pretty big and fast (don't know much about Marshall). I'm going on the fact that I've seen Longview multiple times over the years and any team that can beat even a slightly down Longview will present something that Lone Star's not seen this year.

You can watch all of Marshall's games, including the Longview one, in their entirity on youtube. These are provided and broadcasted by our local radio station kmht. The biggest thing you will probably notice is that our senior qb Justin Hart was injured in week 7 against Greenville and was lost for the season. He was our team leader and passing threat. Since then our athlete/rb Cam Haller has taken over full time at qb and has done a nice job over the past couple of weeks being able to incorporate the pass with the run.

Interesting. Of course Cedar Park is the heavy favorite and rightfully so. Just about a 50/50 split between us and Lone Star. Then they have Lancaster as the team to beat in our region which is questionable in my opinion as Hallsville had them beat and gave the game away with turnovers. Oh well doesnt really matter have to win it on the field and not on paper.

Maybe the toughest game of the season.

I'm just enjoying the ride. Been a fantastic year.

Win or lose I'm just thrilled to see this program come to life again.

Best is yet to come with coach Harper and the Mavs IMHO.

This is such a nice and polite forum. No posters from Lone Star to mix it up with.

Go to the Waskom vs. Arp forum. It's getting nasty over there.

Red Brick Wall!!

We are nice most of the time until someone ruffles our feathers or maybe I should say bends our horns.

If you've never been to AT&T before and watched a game, take it from me. Do not sit field level, sit on section up. We sat field level during SC game in December and had creaks in our necks from trying to catch every replay on the Jumbo Tron. ;)

thats same as i was thinking...

It's a 20m drive from my house. You guys stay safe! Most of you from Marshall will be leaving your house at 7:00 or earlier. I highly suggest leaving early and stopping at Bucees in Terrell for your bathroom and refreshment needs.

I'm not a fan of any of the food too close to the stadium. There is a restaurant closer to Hurricane Harbor called Boston's if you do lunch afterwards that is great.

Finally, go Mavs!