The Smoakhouse Forums

5A D-II Region Semifinals: Marshall(11-1) Vs. Frisco Lone Star (11-1)

Marshall Vs. Frisco Lone Star  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lone Star in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Lone Star in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where did I mention anyone running up the score on Kilgore? Lone Star had the game won...by alot...in the 4th quarter...and the starters were still in the game throwing the ball down field.   I did

Mavchamp​ don't hate on me this time. lol.. Didn't get to the SOC game but my dad did. He was extremely impressed with the Mavs performance. He's going Saturday too. If you see an old man with 1988 Ma

I've mostly lurked this site for a few years and the most respectful posters in this forum are Marshall fans.

Posted Images

Lone Star has played at ATT before so that will be an advantage for them i believe. Wont be quite as wide eyed as we will be. But that only matters early in the game until everybody gets settled into the game. It looks like on video and stats their QB (i think his name is Shelley) is their offense. He leads the team in passing and rushing. Their offensive line gives up alot of penetration but the qb does a good job of scrambling and either taking off or finding the open wr. We must do a great job of containing him to the pocket while getting pressure. They run a 3-4 defense and get alot of pressure in the backfield. It looks like we might be able to spread them out and run it right at them. They arent huge but have athletes on both sides of the ball all over the field. Its gonna be a good one!

The Colony tried that....didn't work.

Forney tried that....saw where that got them.

Frisco brought them in and ran it......only loss for Lone Star.

Lone Star has not seen the full team speed that Marshall has, however, Lone Star has a lot more on the defensive side of the football that people think. Their only loss came vs. Frisco High on the night that about 10 inches of rain dropped in Frisco. The game was postponed twice due to lightning and the rain/wind never stopped. Frisco is a run first team. Lone Star is a spread team. Rain/wind doesn't help a spread team in those aspects.

The offensive line might give up a lot of penetration, but that's to their advantage with a dual threat QB. Play breaks down or the OL gives up penetration = time for a play-maker to thrive.

This is definitely going to be a good game. Lone Star is better vs. the run than most people are thinking. I know Haller has shown his arm over the past few games with, what, 6 TDs in the air? I don't know if that's due to him being that good with his arm after his first game to get the rust off, or if they were just playing really bad secondary teams?

Haller has shown nice accuracy when he does throw it. I think teams have been trying so hard to stop the run, its opened up some passing lanes. If an opponent is able to shut our run game down with 6 in the box, we are in trouble. Right now, play action is our best friend. When pass plays do break down, Cam has looked seasoned in moving around and keeping his eyes downfield. Both offenses should be able to score some points, so im going to say Antonio Washington will be the difference maker. If he can wreck havoc again we will be in good shape.

• Like 1

I havent watched the video of the Colony or Forney games so i cant really say why they werent successful running out of the spread against Lone Star. The Rangers look to be very athletic and quick to the ball but not overly with size. Marshall will not line up tight and run power football or else we would have done that against Texas High in the mud bowl game. We may do that in short yardage and goal line situations but not as our primary offense. To successfully run the ball out of the spread you need to have 2 things done well. #1 Your WRs must block at the point of attack. & #2 You need to have a viable runner at QB as well as RB. I believe we have done both well this season contributing to our offensive success. And to your point about speed you are probably correct that we will be the fastest overall team they have seen this season. If we can keep them honest with the occassional play action pass and not turn the ball over i think we can put up 28-35 points. It will be up to the defense then to keep up their strong play and contain Shelley and the potent Lone Star offense. I can see a 35 to 28 type of score playing out. Hopefully in our favor!

I havent watched the video of the Colony or Forney games so i cant really say why they werent successful running out of the spread against Lone Star. The Rangers look to be very athletic and quick to the ball but not overly with size. Marshall will not line up tight and run power football or else we would have done that against Texas High in the mud bowl game. We may do that in short yardage and goal line situations but not as our primary offense. To successfully run the ball out of the spread you need to have 2 things done well. #1 Your WRs must block at the point of attack. & #2 You need to have a viable runner at QB as well as RB. I believe we have done both well this season contributing to our offensive success. And to your point about speed you are probably correct that we will be the fastest overall team they have seen this season. If we can keep them honest with the occassional play action pass and not turn the ball over i think we can put up 28-35 points. It will be up to the defense then to keep up their strong play and contain Shelley and the potent Lone Star offense. I can see a 35 to 28 type of score playing out. Hopefully in our favor!

I pretty much agree with this. I've seen Lone Star 4 times this year and here's a few attributes that I've observed.

1. The OL is not overpowering and their pass protection is mediocre; I'd say they've been effective given the skill guys. Jason Shelly makes up for what I'd consider inconsistent protection. The kid came make plays on the move and he has a great feel for the pass rush.

2. They have 2 WRs that can flat out fly. Jaylen Dixon (#2) 4.40 40 and Michael Johnson (#9) (Houston offer). They also have another WR that seems to find the seams when Shelly is on the move.

3. The RB is (#22) and he's not going to put any fear onto your defense. He's not really fast (4.65 40), but he's a tough kid. The main run threat is Shelly. He's used to keep things honest.

4. Defensively, they will not pass your eye test. I can already tell you that. But the kids on the D line are a bunch of hard ###### 18 year old 230 lb to 250 lb kids. They don't get pushed around easily and are quick to the edge. The linebackers are pretty good. The free safety is Chris Miller (#6) (Baylor commit) and he's flat out the best football player on the team. Every game I've been to, he has text book tackles were he just laid the guy out. Against Prosper, there were 4 tackles were the kid got up and limped to the sidelines.

Anyway, I think your 35 - 28 score is pretty accurate. I'm only imagining that a team that beat Longview is pretty big and fast (don't know much about Marshall). I'm going on the fact that I've seen Longview multiple times over the years and any team that can beat even a slightly down Longview will present something that Lone Star's not seen this year.

You can watch all of Marshall's games, including the Longview one, in their entirity on youtube. These are provided and broadcasted by our local radio station kmht. The biggest thing you will probably notice is that our senior qb Justin Hart was injured in week 7 against Greenville and was lost for the season. He was our team leader and passing threat. Since then our athlete/rb Cam Haller has taken over full time at qb and has done a nice job over the past couple of weeks being able to incorporate the pass with the run.

Interesting. Of course Cedar Park is the heavy favorite and rightfully so. Just about a 50/50 split between us and Lone Star. Then they have Lancaster as the team to beat in our region which is questionable in my opinion as Hallsville had them beat and gave the game away with turnovers. Oh well doesnt really matter have to win it on the field and not on paper.

Maybe the toughest game of the season.

I'm just enjoying the ride. Been a fantastic year.

Win or lose I'm just thrilled to see this program come to life again.

Best is yet to come with coach Harper and the Mavs IMHO.

This is such a nice and polite forum. No posters from Lone Star to mix it up with.

Go to the Waskom vs. Arp forum. It's getting nasty over there.

Red Brick Wall!!

We are nice most of the time until someone ruffles our feathers or maybe I should say bends our horns.

If you've never been to AT&T before and watched a game, take it from me. Do not sit field level, sit on section up. We sat field level during SC game in December and had creaks in our necks from trying to catch every replay on the Jumbo Tron. ;)

If you've never been to AT&T before and watched a game, take it from me. Do not sit field level, sit on section up. We sat field level during SC game in December and had creaks in our necks from trying to catch every replay on the Jumbo Tron. ;)

thats same as i was thinking...

It's a 20m drive from my house. You guys stay safe! Most of you from Marshall will be leaving your house at 7:00 or earlier. I highly suggest leaving early and stopping at Bucees in Terrell for your bathroom and refreshment needs.

I'm not a fan of any of the food too close to the stadium. There is a restaurant closer to Hurricane Harbor called Boston's if you do lunch afterwards that is great.

Finally, go Mavs!