5A D-II Region Semifinals: Marshall(11-1) Vs. Frisco Lone Star (11-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Frisco Lone Star  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lone Star in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Lone Star in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Marshall will be back. Losing a four year starting qb that late in the season really made a difference. Before that, our offense was the major strength of the team. Defense was the obvious strong point afterward. Interested to see if these coaches can turn Haller into a true qb this offseason. If he isnt by far our best passer next year, I would move him to rb full time and let him do what he does best. When he took over at qb his running style changed. Seemed as if he wasnt running as hard for fear of getting hurt.

Marshall won't be a one season wonder. Harper is building something special here.

Some things to chew on headed into 2016:

1. The defense had FIVE sophomores starting. Three juniors. Meaning..... most of our defense will be returning not just next year, but in 2017 as well.

2. The offense had three sophomores starting. Not to mention a small handful of juniors, including Cameron Haller.

Names to look forward to in 2016:

1. Tre Macon- Sophmore- DB that became instrumental this year. He had some of the hardest hits of the season and made some outstanding stops all year.

2. Corteze Hurd- Soph- DB/S/QB?- Guy is just a beast. It will be interesting to see what Harper does with him in the offseason. He was outstanding at DB. But he filled in nicely at QB when Hart went down. He was fantastic at QB Vs. MP and SS (I know....I know) but wasn't used much at QB in the playoffs. Offense just seemed to click better when Haller was in the backfield and someone else was taking the snaps. Should be a team leader next season.

3. Marje Smith, Soph- DE- At 6'5" and still growing, he could be a monster. He had a slow start this season, but really grew into his position. Smart player.... and had a strong second half of the season.

Other names: Demarcus Alexander (10) DB, Branden Andews (11) DB, Rodarius Smith (10) DB, Washington (11) LB, Williams (11) LB will all be back and should be primed and ready.

The Lone Star game aside, the defense was pretty stingy towards the end of the season. They held SOC to a FG..... a SOC team that had been piling up yards and points in bushels. Against Lindale they only allowed one TD (the other TD is on the Mav offense for near Pick 6 to the 1 yd line). They shut out MP and SS........

The offense will have the most work to do in the offseason.

Obviously.... "replacing" Justin Hart will be the focus. I have a feeling the coaching staff want to put Cameron Haller back in the backfield again, which is where he shines.

Sounds like the QB battle could come down to Corteze Hurd and Hunter Harrington (JV).

Hurd at QB gives you mobility because he can tuck it and run like no one's business. Not sure he has the arm to be an outstanding passer. Esp for downfield passing.

Harrington seems to have an outstanding arm. He can chunk it downfield and is pretty accurate, but he's not overly mobile.

Can't completely rule out Haller at QB. He did go 48-86 for 760 yards passing with 10 TD's and 2 INTs in his five starts.

But his numbers in the backfield..... 224 carries for 1,806 yards and 26 touchdowns...... are phenomenal.

The coaching staff will be rebuilding the offensive line, which will be critical no matter who the QB is. I'm going to guess that Harrington gets the QB spot. Haller will be in the backfield and Denzil Mitchell (11) will be in the backfield. Mitchell got plenty of snaps this season thanks to those lop-sided losses. He has some good moves.

Cupboard isn't bare.

Was an outstanding year. No complaints here. Maverick Football is back...... and still improving. See ya'll next year!

Karnack you are clueless. Lone Star is going to demolish Lancaster as well. Yes Lancaster has speed but thats it. Hallsville should have beat them if it wasnt for 2 horrible fumbles that gave them easy td

Hallsville fumbled four times. So the two non-horrible fumbles were good? Hallsville would not have made it out of Lancaster's district. They had one WR, and a running QB that was not accurate. If the game is not played in hurricane wind, Lancaster beats them by 30. Marshall in my opinion was WOWed by Jerry's World. The secondary looked like they had never seen a QB throw it farther than 20 yards. Plus they were a one trick pony, only being able to run the ball. Come on man, it's the 3rd round "Aint No Turkey's Playing After Thanksgiving"!! With that said, It would have been a better game if it was played in the elements of the weekend.

Hallsville fumbled four times. So the two non-horrible fumbles were good? Hallsville would not have made it out of Lancaster's district. They had one WR, and a running QB that was not accurate. If the game is not played in hurricane wind, Lancaster beats them by 30. Marshall in my opinion was WOWed by Jerry's World. The secondary looked like they had never seen a QB throw it farther than 20 yards. Plus they were a one trick pony, only being able to run the ball. Come on man, it's the 3rd round "Aint No Turkey's Playing After Thanksgiving"!! With that said, It would have been a better game if it was played in the elements of the weekend.

How many teams would even make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs when they had to reinvent their offense in week 10 of the season?

Lone Star is a better team than Marshall. Period. It's a shame we didn't have a Justin Hart-lead team in the playoffs like we had expected. The fact we still had success in the playoffs with a back-up QB says a lot about how much things are improving for the Mavs.

We definitely would have been more diverse on offense.... stats the prior 9 weeks support that. I think we would have scored more than 7 points and spread the ball out more if Hart had been there. But at the end of the day, IMHO, Lone Star still would have won handily even with Hart on the field.

And he doesn't get mentioned enough, but we lost wide receiver Caden Landreneaux the same game we lost Hart. Those were two big losses for our offense.

Lancaster may prove me wrong...... and part of me wouldn't mind seeing someone run the score up on LS..... but the Rangers looked like a team with very few flaws. I think they make it to Houston. That passing game was outstanding..... and their defense was smart. That's a deadly combination to have.

On to 2016..... big things ahead for the Mavs IMHO.

Qb, rb, wr will be our biggest question marks going into next year. Haller will occupy rb or qb, but afterthat it gets really sketchy. No starters return at those positions. Brooks at wr looks good and maybe freshman qb Bender can be a qb wr option. Dabbs little brother will be a soph and could start at wr. Will be interesting watching it all unfold during spring. Qb battle between 4 guys could be something to watch. Im kind of hoping Haller gets moved to full time rb so he can return to his physical style. We also dont have any rbs returning, so we will need him more there than qb.

I look for Herrington to be the qb, I thinks T Brooks will be moved to rb and might even see Alexander play some rb, he has played that position before. Chandler Kelehan will be a wr, he has good size and will go get the ball. Ro Smith was the JV district 100 meter champion last spring, played on special teams this year and think he will be on the field somewhere. Jacouri Mitchell will be another wr.