East Texas Basketball overview. All classifications

OLEMAN

Westwood went 3-1 in Tournament. Beat Gladewater lost to Brownsboro then beat Malakoff and Winona. Just had a off night and got beat bad by Brownsboro which by point difference put them in consolation side of bracket. Good Tournament. Paris is real good.

Golfinut Westwood beat Malakoff then they played and beat Winona on Saturday. Was just looking at your results and saw where it was incorrect. No big deal just wanted to let you know the right results. Did you find out the Athens Gladewater score. if so could you post it.

Golfinut Westwood beat Malakoff then they played and beat Winona on Saturday. Was just looking at your results and saw where it was incorrect. No big deal just wanted to let you know the right results. Did you find out the Athens Gladewater score. if so could you post it.

You are right. I took the scores off the website and they had it wrong with Malakoff winning. Not sure about the Athens/Gladewater score. I wasn't able to go, but someone else posted that Athens was in the final.

Good chance that Paris and Clarksville meet at the Paris Tournament. The bracket should be out pretty soon now.

Paris plays at Mount Pleasant Tuesday, then at New Boston Tournament this weekend if anyone would like to check them out. Among Region 2 East Texas 4A schools, they're easily without peer, currently working on a 38-game regular season win streak and 6-0 this season with an average game score of 85-38. They're impressive on the offensive end (all 5 starters have outstanding range and are good passers), but it's their defense that gets overlooked. They make you work to get one good shot, and if you miss, they'll fast break you to death. Their weakness: no bench, so injuries or foul problems could be their downfall.

Paris beat Crandall 74-46 Friday and will play Brownsboro at 1 today. It's the closest victory margin so far this year for the 9th-ranked Wildcats (4-0), whose average win is 87-37. Cats can score, but they also can play defense.

In another game of some regional note, #6 Argyle knocked off #2 Houston Wheatley last night at the Fairfield Tournament, 62-60. Assuming Argyle adds its football players to the mix, Eagles will be a tough out.

Traditionally Argyle has very few if any basketball players that also play football.

Traditionally Argyle has very few if any basketball players that also play football.

We saw where Argyle knocked off Houston Wheatley on the way to winning the Fairfield Tournament. The big question is whether the big tight end J.C. Chalk joins the team once football is over. Either way, Argyle is definitely a force in Region 2 basketball. Argyle has to work past the Dallas schools to get to Commerce. Paris has a (right now) clear path, but I could definitely foresee a Paris-Argyle basketball meeting down the road. Just like the Eagle football teams, the basketball squads are fundamentally sound and well-coached.

Think I will wander over there and watch the Wildcats take on MP. What other schools are supposed to be at the Paris tournament?

If Paris is planning to be at this level for a while then they might want to upgrade their schedules in the future. If you're massive favorites to win every tournament you're in then you're not doing it right in my opinion.

My point is u see schools like Teneha, Cville, Martins Mill, Chaple Hill, Douglas or even Avery strong year in and out. Very few of the larger ET schools cann say the same. On ocassion a big one will break out

Tatum is very consistent.

Think I will wander over there and watch the Wildcats take on MP. What other schools are supposed to be at the Paris tournament?

If Paris is planning to be at this level for a while then they might want to upgrade their schedules in the future. If you're massive favorites to win every tournament you're in then you're not doing it right in my opinion.

Paris @ MP should be interesting. Although the Cats routed the Tigers by 40 last year, their big man (Moore, I think) gave Paris some problems inside, plus Paris hasn't faced any decent height so far and Tiger Gym has been a voodoo palace in recent years. I'll be curious to get your opinion on this year's team. I'm biased, admittedly, but I think we're potentially better than last year, and that was just a couple of big buckets away from a trip to Austin.

I wish we could be at this level or greater every year, but there's been a drought of really good big men at Paris. Unless we get lucky and can adopt a club team, our height leaves when the Embry twins graduate this year.

Yes, we realize the schedule is light, but here's the rub: None of the big-time Dallas schools want to schedule a home-and-away series with us. They don't need to. Teams that are willing to schedule are longtime regional rivals who, for the most part, are normally competitive but recently have fallen on hard times. So you're faced with the issue of filling your schedule around tournaments, and that can be a dicey proposition. Hopefully, we'll get a couple of stiff tests this weekend at New Boston, and there will be some good teams at the Paris tournament (including Clarksville, NL, Hope, Hot Springs, Willis, Teague, Waskom, Waxahachie Life, Dallas Gateway). I'll try to get a complete list this week. Also, Paris has a date at Dallas Lincoln before heading into district play, which should tell everyone if they can run with the big dogs.

Clarksville beat 3A #7 Dallas Faith Family 54-44 to win the Grand Saline tournament. Faith Fam has beaten some bigger schools this year and topped 2A region 2 competitor Gateway

Charter Academy by 13 last week. Not too

shabby.

Cville dominated their side of the bracket fairly easily, they were head and shoulders the best team their by far. Rusk let Faith Family off the hook late missing 5 key free throws to lose by 4. I was hoping they won to see how they would matchup with Cville, but the size would have been Too Much!!