Gilmer Buckeyes (13-0) vs Atlanta Rabbits (9-4)

SrBuckeye

Gilmer vs Atlanta  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Okay, home from the game, so a few quick observations.

1. Atlanta was the best defense Gilmer has faced all year. Gilmer could not block #17. And #13 was almost unblockable as well. I know people are talking about how bad Gilmer played, but a lot of that was due to Atlanta's defense.

2. Gilmer played their best defensive game of the year also. Demarco was a beast on defense, & Tristan Oliverasvwas in Atlanta's backfield all night. They played on a short field almost all the 3rd quarter but never broke. I said if Gilmer could stop the zone read they would win, and they did. Only 1 TD allowed, & that was on a really short field.

3. I love to hear Gilmer fans. You'd think Turner was an awful coach and Gilmer was 4-7. They yelled all night about Gilmer not running the ball, but Gilmer was averaging about 0.5 yards a carry through 3 quarters. It was only until the passing game started to click that the running game could get going.

4. Gilmer wears teams down. They sub in kids, they play with pace, they alternate defensive linemen, and come 4th quarter they are just too strong to stop. I knew when Atlanta punted they would never see the ball again.

5. Gilmer made a lot of mistakes tonight, & they have to clean it up.

So while everyone complains about what Gilmer is doing wrong, they move into the state semifinal game.

Okay, home from the game, so a few quick observations.

1. Atlanta was the best defense Gilmer has faced all year. Gilmer could not block #17. And #13 was almost unblockable as well. I know people are talking about how bad Gilmer played, but a lot of that was due to Atlanta's defense.

2. Gilmer played their best defensive game of the year also. Demarco was a beast on defense, & Tristan Oliverasvwas in Atlanta's backfield all night. They played on a short field almost all the 3rd quarter but never broke. I said if Gilmer could stop the zone read they would win, and they did. Only 1 TD allowed, & that was on a really short field.

3. I love to hear Gilmer fans. You'd think Turner was an awful coach and Gilmer was 4-7. They yelled all night about Gilmer not running the ball, but Gilmer was averaging about 0.5 yards a carry through 3 quarters. It was only until the passing game started to click that the running game could get going.

4. Gilmer wears teams down. They sub in kids, they play with pace, they alternate defensive linemen, and come 4th quarter they are just too strong to stop. I knew when Atlanta punted they would never see the ball again.

5. Gilmer made a lot of mistakes tonight, & they have to clean it up.

So while everyone complains about what Gilmer is doing wrong, they move into the state semifinal game.

Agree!

• Like 1

To say Gilmer is battle tested is an understatement! Looks like we came out of this game healthy, shout out to Miles Chumley, he really stepped up tonight and made some great tackles! I know Celina is playing some great ball, but kinda nice to finally win out of the area! Great Season Atlanta your defense came to play! Like CO said we have some things to work on, for the final push, gotta say this is the best D, we've had, in the last 15 years! Way to dig it out Buckeyes, we're still rolling!

There are a few Gilmer fans who seem to think anytime Gilmer is in a close game it's because they played bad. Sometimes that is true, but it often discounts they effort of the opponent. Let's take tonight's game as an example.

Gilmer threw 3 interceptions. The first was a pick six & should have never been thrown. But they play was caused by a vicious pass rush that would have led to a 10 yard sack & 4th and 20. The pressure defense created the circumstances that caused the pick 6.

The second int was on a deep pass. 9 times out of 10, the opposite side cornerback doesn't get back into the play to make that int. the pass led the receiver too far into the middle of the field, but it was still a great play by the cornerback.

The third interception was one of the more athletic plays I've seen this year. And if the defender doesn't make that play, Gilmer has a 1st & 10 and are once agin driving on Atlanta.

The point is Gilmer fans might see this as "We played horrible offensively." Atlanta fans, however, would claim some of that bad play was due to Their defense.

• Like 1

Congrats Gilmer! and congrats Atlanta on a heck of a season, especially considering all the injuries y'all had to overcome.

Go win it all again Gilmer!

On another note..I can't believe grown men can get on here and bash these kids for making mistakes. Nobody is perfect, but those kids are putting it all on the line every Friday night. And referring to these couple Gilmer posters, do you guys not realize your team is 14-0?....And are the defending state champions. You guys must have never made a single mistake in your playing days then. Go bash the Cowboys or something, not these 16-18 year old high school kids.

• Like 2

I've never been prouder of a bunch of kids in my life. Before this season started, I felt we'd do good to be 8 - 2 going into the playoffs. My gut feeling was we'd make it two, possibly three rounds deep, and go home. Shows what I know. But in my defense, I didn't realize what heart this bunch plays with. Our offense did sputter tonight, but I'll have to say that Atlanta's front 7 played as good as anyone we saw this year, maybe better. What a bunch of big athletic kids along that front wall. We eventually wore them down, which says a lot about Gilmers athletic conditioning themselves. That's really the norm in every game we play. But all these yahoos who want to badmouth our offense, especially Zac just need to stop it,, I mean seriously, if you are old enough to be married, and want to act like a 14 year old on a sports forum, personally I just wish you would move somewhere other than Gilmer. you know who I'm talking to,,, (about two of you) and you are an embarassment to our town and team. I'm pretty sure most folks who frequent this forum know that the huge majority of people from Tatertown do "NOT" act like that.

As for our Defense, wow,, that's all I can say. Claws n Antlers,,, I have to disagree with you about this being a boring, game. It was anything but in my opinion. Maybe from where you were working but I think we saw two great defenses battle it out last night. Gilmer threw three ints. and Atlanta had to drive all of 10 yards for 15 points. Our defense basically threw a shut out. Great defensive play Black Flag. Best you've played all season against a good Atlanta team. I'm not sure how Atlanta went 6 - 4,, ya'll were the best team we faced from that district. Good luck to all the Rabbit kids,,, ya'll played a heck of a game. Nothing wrong about getting tired, up against a Gilmer team that plays about 27 - 28 kids on offense all the game.

Shout out to Demarco, and Cambron Granville. Demarco got us some very tough yards, after the initial contact,, the kid just won't go down. And Cambron, just shoots out of that backfield, and has an awesome vision of the field,, He runs downhill every carry, leaning forward, and Never, I mean never stopping his legs. He's the toughest 175 - 180 pound running back I've seen all season. Atlanta had no answer for that duo in the fourth quarter. I will say this,,, I was on the edge of my seat all night,,, but those are the best kind of games to win. I'd take a win like that over a 60 - 7 blow out any day. A win like that shows the heart of a team. We're different than last season for sure,,, we're not winning with a stellar passing game. We don't have the stud wideouts we had last year,, but we keep things moving most of the time, especially late.

We'll clean up a few issues this week, and I think we'll give Celina all they can handle. I am still having a hard time saying this,,, we're one win away from being in the Championship game "again". I don't care how we do it,,,or have done it,,, This bunch of kids never says quit,, or loses that desire to win. All you naysayers who keep wanting things to be different, wouldnd't know how to be thankful if someone dumped a truck load of Gold bars in your driveway. Just stay home next week and make real fans on both teams happy.

Like I stated on another thread, Gilmer players and coaches are probably very humble. I try to support all east Texas teams when it comes playoff time, except when the "Riders are playing one of them. But it is hard to get behind a team when they have a fan like Maineman who has no respect for anyone and insults those who do not agree with him. He stated that the Center, Atlanta, Gladewater district must be awfully weak. The truth of the matter is Center did not play their best when they played Gilmer. I give Gilmer credit but Center failed to execute twice with a first and ten inside the 10 yard line. And Center's qb overthrew two wide open receivers who would definitely have scored if the ball had been to them. Center gave Gilmer all they wanted and then some. 372 yards of offense for Gilmer and 300 for Center. The difference was the last drive for Gilmer when they scored last. Center knew when they failed to score ( when the ball was overthrown to #12 at the 10 yard line with nobody around him) that the game was over. That is when Gilmer busted the long run for 65 or so yards. From all accounts Atlanta gave them all they wanted too. I would say that this year if Center or Atlanta played Gilmer 10 times, it likely would split 5 games to 5. Maineman, try to be humble in life. It will get you a lot farther. Don't talk down to Gilmer's opponents like you do. You better hope Gilmer wins state because if they get beat, you are going to catch a lot of heat because of your arrogance. You are probably not liked much by the community of Gilmer fans and just being a little humble would go a long way to fixing that problem.

AOB.. i didnt really get to start watching until the very end of the 1st qtr and to me that point on until half was boring. i do think the 2nd half was better. like i stated from the position i was in i couldnt tell for sure if the defenses were that good or the offenses were that bad. maybe some of both.

im going to try and make the game next week. there i will be able to have a better view of things

Like I stated on another thread, Gilmer players and coaches are probably very humble. I try to support all east Texas teams when it comes playoff time, except when the "Riders are playing one of them. But it is hard to get behind a team when they have a fan like Maineman who has no respect for anyone and insults those who do not agree with him. He stated that the Center, Atlanta, Gladewater district must be awfully weak. The truth of the matter is Center did not play their best when they played Gilmer. I give Gilmer credit but Center failed to execute twice with a first and ten inside the 10 yard line. And Center's qb overthrew two wide open receivers who would definitely have scored if the ball had been to them. Center gave Gilmer all they wanted and then some. 372 yards of offense for Gilmer and 300 for Center. The difference was the last drive for Gilmer when they scored last. Center knew when they failed to score ( when the ball was overthrown to #12 at the 10 yard line with nobody around him) that the game was over. That is when Gilmer busted the long run for 65 or so yards. From all accounts Atlanta gave them all they wanted too. I would say that this year if Center or Atlanta played Gilmer 10 times, it likely would split 5 games to 5. Maineman, try to be humble in life. It will get you a lot farther. Don't talk down to Gilmer's opponents like you do. You better hope Gilmer wins state because if they get beat, you are going to catch a lot of heat because of your arrogance. You are probably not liked much by the community of Gilmer fans and just being a little humble would go a long way to fixing that problem.

Sonny boy. You don't get it. Do you? I've never talked about how good Gilmer is or that Gilmer is gonna win etc. I'm as shocked as can be that Gilmer is still playing. I don't think Gilmer is that good. But with that being said they keep winning so that leads me to believe they are better than I give them credit or other teams are weak. Right now I say da baby Cubs from GW, Center and Atlanta are weak after this next weeks game against Celina I could change my mind. So to set the record straight once again Gilmer is still winning I'm surprised. And BTW I ain't even from Gilmer but I sure enjoy getting folks such as you to write a whole paragraph about me.

You may not think good if me But you are thinking about me. Lmao

I love fan coaches. Yelling, "Run the Ball, Run the Ball!" Then the Running Back gets stuffed, & they yell, "you gotta block, you gotta block!" Then Gilmer scores by throwing a deep pass to Lamarcus Morton to get them out of the hole, and then hitting on some running plays, and they yell, "I told you if we ran the ball we would win!" Hilarious.

I think both teams would say they made mistakes last night. Gilmer missed open receivers, and had some key drops that would have kept drives alive. Atlanta missed some open receivers, and had key drops that would have kept drives alive. But when I left the stadium last night, I wasn't thinking about how the offenses of each team played. I was thinking I had just witnessed two of the best defenses I've seen this year.

Don't know the names of #17 and #13 for Atlanta, but they were beasts.

Gilmer's coaching staff has done a great job with Demarco and Cambron (and several other players) of rotating them and keeping them fresh. It would be tempting to play Boyd every single play offensively and defensively, but they've done a good job rotating him and several other kids in and out. And that's been to key to several playoff games. GIlmer is deeper than most teams, plays more players than most teams, and wears teams out in the 2nd half.

I sat by a guy last nite kept.saying run..I said you can't run on them till you get them tired..he is always so negative

LOL...aww you know, you never know who your gonna get to sit by, negative people, or know it alls, both im sure can be annoying, but im sure all have the same goal in mind,,,right? Me myself, i normally get up and move, that might work for you! lol...with 3000 screaming fans, your gonna hear everything!