5A Division I State Quarterfinal: Longview (11-2) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge (13-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-2) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge (13-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mansfield Lake Ridge in a close one
    • Mansfield Lake Ridge in a blow out

longview2.pngmansfieldlakeridge.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (11-2) VS LAKE RIDGE EAGLES (13-0)

DATE: Saturday, December 5th, 2015

TIME: 9:00 PM

LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI

MANSFIELD LAKE RIDGE BROADCAST: None

mansfieldlakeridge.pngEAGLES LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 mansfieldlakeridge.png
The two schools have never played a non-district contest.

The two schools have never played a district contest.

The Eagles have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.

The Eagles have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.

The two schools have never played at Longview.

The two schools have never played at Mansfield Lake Ridge.

The two schools have never played at AT&T Stadium.

The two schools have never played on December 5th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES

11.22.2014 - Mansfield Lake Ridge 37 Longview 35 - Rose Stadium

FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW

December football has returned to Longview. After four seasons of 3 Regional rounds and 1 Area round miscues and mistakes, the Lobos dominated the Wylie Pirates from the get go in a 35-14 victory inside the comfy confines of AT&T Stadium. The win marked Longview’s first win at the home of the Cowboys since the 2nd to last game ever at Texas Stadium, a 41-30 victory over Denton Guyer in the 4A State Semi-Final. The win also pushed Longview’s record to 11-2 on the season, the 8th time the Lobos have reached at least 11 wins under head coach John King. With the win, Longview heads back to AT&T Stadium for the 5A Division I State Quarterfinal…marking the 13th time in program history the Lobos have reached the Quarterfinal round. Awaiting them is a foe that ended their season the previous year in 2014, Mansfield Lake Ridge. The Eagles come into the contest with a healthy 13-0 record, having rarely been tested on the season and are a week off from producing over 700 yards of offense against the Poteet Pirates. The Lobos will rely on their defense to win the game, a defense that has yet to give up more than four scores in a contest, and has allowed just four once all season long. The lowest the Eagles have been held to, point wise, was against Keller Fossil when they scored just 30 points. Lake Ridge has scored 50 or more points in each of the last 6 weeks. The Lobos will be looking to win their 60th overall playoff game as they enter into the contest, with their last Quarterfinal win coming against Mesquite Horn in 2010.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION I & II REGIONAL RESULTS:

Canyon Randall vs Burleson Centennial MOVED TO MONDAY

Aledo 33 Abilene Cooper 0

Longview 35 Wylie 14

Mansfield Lake Ridge 69 Mesquite Poteet 40

CLASS 5A DIVISION I STATE QUARTERFINAL GAMES:

12/05 - W3 Canyon Randall (12-1)/R8 Burleson Centennial (10-3) vs W8 Aledo (12-1) - AT&T Stadium (Arlington)

12/05 - W15 Longview (11-2) vs W14 Mansfield Lake Ridge (13-0) - AT&T Stadium (Arlington)

12/04 - W17 Temple (12-1) vs W24 Richmond George Ranch (13-0) - Panther Stadium (Hewitt, TX)

12/04 - W25 Austin Vandegrift (11-2) vs R25 Cedar Park Vista Ridge (11-2) - Reeves Athletic Complex (Round Rock)

WHAT’S AT STAKE

The winner of today’s game will take on the winner of Canyon Randall/Burleson Centennial vs Aledo in the Class 5A Division I State Semi-Final match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS

Record: 11-2 (6-1)

District: 15-5A

Coach: John King (131-30 in 12 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-11)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: 686-336-52 (Playoffs: 59-38-1)

Playoff Appearances: 41

Last Playoff Appearance: 2014, 5A Division I Area Round

State Championships: 1937 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)

SCHEDULE:

08.28 - vs Lufkin - W 21-20

09.05 - at John Tyler - W 31-14

09.12 - Shreveport Byrd (in Shreveport) - L 22-15

09.25 - vs Pine Tree - W 61-6

10.02 - at Greenville - W 51-0

10.09 - at Marshall - L 28-25

10.16 - vs Texas High - W 35-14

10.23 - at Mount Pleasant - W 51-0

10.30 - vs Sulphur Springs - W 48-10

11.06 - at Hallsville - W 63-20

11.13 - Bi-District: Lufkin - W 31-10

11.20 - Area: Mansfield Summit - W 21-20

11.28 - Regional: Wylie - W 35-14

12.05 - Quarterfinal: Mansfield Lake Ridge

MANSFIELD LAKE RIDGE EAGLES

Record: 13-0 (6-0)

District: 14-5A

Coach: Kirk Thor (23-23 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-1)

First Year of Football: 2012

All-Time Record: 23-23-0 (Playoffs: 6-1)

Playoff Appearances: 2

Last Playoff Appearance: 2014, 5A Division I Regional Round

State Championships: None

State Championship Appearances: None

SCHEDULE:

08.28 - vs Cleburne - W 52-26

09.03 - at Keller Fossil Ridge - W 30-13

09.10 - vs Waco - W 47-12

09.18 - vs Lancaster - W 48-27

09.24 - vs Waxahachie - W 60-34

10.09 - at Mansfield Timberview - W 49-24

10.16 - vs Red Oak - W 48-24

10.24 - at Mansfield Legacy - W 56-14

10.31 - vs Mansfield Summit - W 55-35

11.06 - at Arlington Seguin - W 53-7

11.12 - Bi-District: Dallas Samuell - W 63-12

11.21 - Area: John Tyler - W 77-51

11.28 - Regional: Mesquite Poteet - W 69-40

12.05 - Quarterfinal: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 5th

In 2009, Waxahachie jumped out to a 20-0 lead over the Lobos midway through the first quarter as turnover after turnover plagued the Longview offense. However, the missed extra point on the Indians’ last touchdown sparked the Lobos and began a huge comeback that would see the Lobos take the lead into the locker room 21-0. Despite a 99 yard touchdown pass given up in the 3rd quarter, Longview would not be denied and rolled all over #3 and undefeated Waxahachie, 50-26.

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif

It will take a colossal effort in every phase for us to win this one. we are underdogs and rightly so lake ridge offense is lethal. Fact that 13 poteet points came from special teams makes that win last night look pretty good although lake ridge defense is soft.

Poteet had success running up the middle so that gives me some hope. Also not sure if they will onside and pooch kick every time but that might help us also.

Lake ridge wrs were open all night and they had as many drops as they had catches.

Duffey is the real deal but we already knew that. Only way to stop him is keep the ball out of his hands.

Guest Delete1

Longview is next in line to try and solve that Lake Ridge offense. Cant play keep away the entire game. How does the defense slow down Lake Ridge? Last night when Poteet went with 3 rushers it slowed down LR. The only problem with that is LR just started running the ball against a light box. Pick your poison.

I'm a Longview fan I went and watch them play agsinst a good Wiley team but Lake Ridge is a way better team and I don't think Longview will be able to keep up the scoring with them and they will score alot no one has been able to stop Lake Ridge yet from lighting up the score board

Not a single person is going to think we win this one (that isn't associated with the Lobos).

The media hype machine around Lake Ridge is already in business, still saying we should've lost to Summit...and if Hachie had gotten in they would still have 4 teams left in the playoffs from their district.

Yawn yawn yawn.

We know what Lake Ridge has. It's impressive. But it's not unbeatable. Believe in yourselves LOBOS.

It will take a colossal effort in every phase for us to win this one. we are underdogs and rightly so lake ridge offense is lethal. Fact that 13 poteet points came from special teams makes that win last night look pretty good although lake ridge defense is soft.

Poteet had success running up the middle so that gives me some hope. Also not sure if they will onside and pooch kick every time but that might help us also.

Lake ridge wrs were open all night and they had as many drops as they had catches.

Duffey is the real deal but we already knew that. Only way to stop him is keep the ball out of his hands.

Wylie onside kicked it out of desperation, Lake Ridge did it because they smelled blood in the water. Watching both games and seeing so many onside kicks and going for it on 4th down I thought I was watching a live version of madden!

I felt Poteet had a good defensive game plan at first for Duffey by spying him but when he started gaining yardage in the air (353 yd by halftime?) it forced Poteet to stop doing that. That opened up the running lanes for him and Duffey had his way. LR's WRs ate up the press man coverage and you saw where the ball was going to go when the corners played up, eff it I am going deep. On every 3rd down they ran an out route and hardly threw over the middle. The one time they did throw a post route they scored a TD. I thought LR was throwing outside to setup more post routes but it never happened.

Defensively LR has some problems we can take advantage of. They were super aggressive and I am not sure if they are like this all the time but the same LB (#30) came crashing down almost every play, he also had 5 offside penalties called on them. MP hit them up for some big gains on screen plays and gashed them running up the middle. LR was not tackling very well and it almost looked like they did not want to tackle MP's #26 or #5. The coverage was not all impressive but we do not need to get into a shootout with them.

Controlling the clock and continuing hitting LR in the mouth will give us an opportunity to win next Saturday.

Wylie onside kicked it out of desperation, Lake Ridge did it because they smelled blood in the water.

Lake Ridge was onside kicking the ball late in the 4th quarter up 29 points....how much blood in the water did they really need to smell for that?

It's hard to pick against a team with a running game and defense as good as the Lobos, but I just don't know about this one. LR definitely has some weaknesses like any team, mostly with their special teams and defense. Lv should be able to get some turnovers too. However, I still think they will be the best team the Lobos have seen this year(I haven't seen Byrd for a whole game). It's probably not even close. That offense will be tough to deal with. If LR does win though, I think it will be close. Ross and Sorey will have to play well again and the defense will have to stop giving up those big plays on 3rd and long for Lv to have a chance imo. I know 87 and 25 will come to play. You can't have turnovers and stupid penalties too like 07 said. Lv definitely has the offense to play keep away and eat up clock, just not sure they can do it against this team. Good luck Bos!

• Like 1

Not a single person is going to think we win this one (that isn't associated with the Lobos).

The media hype machine around Lake Ridge is already in business, still saying we should've lost to Summit...and if Hachie had gotten in they would still have 4 teams left in the playoffs from their district.

Yawn yawn yawn.

We know what Lake Ridge has. It's impressive. But it's not unbeatable. Believe in yourselves LOBOS.

Remember when Desoto was suppose to win district both years and they had this unstoppable offense? They were quick all over the place and of course the DFW was all over them. What happened? We went to Desoto and beat them, it was a nerve racking game at the end but we did it. Then we played them on TV and with a little help beat them again.

Remember when Hachie was suppose to down us in the playoffs? We went over there and before you knew it we jumped out and controlled the game.

Remember when Evangel and LaSalle was going to have the first ever high school national championship and what happened? We beat Evangel in OT.

I can go on and on about teams that were better than us and we came up victorious. The only team I wished we could have beat was Lake Travis. That rematch hurt worse than the first one and I hope this rematch with LR goes in our favor.

I am not discounting LR because their team is impressive in size and speed but Longview has been there before. Every time we go to the Plex we are always discounted but I agree if we believe in the Lobos like we always have we will be just fine. It is going to be a good game and it will be hard fought so... is it Saturday yet?

• Like 1

It's hard to pick against a team with a running game and defense as good as the Lobos, but I just don't know about this one. LR definitely has some weaknesses like any team, mostly with their special teams and defense. Lv should be able to get some turnovers too. However, I still think they will be the best team the Lobos have seen this year(I haven't seen Byrd for a whole game). It's probably not even close. That offense will be tough to deal with. If LR does win though, I think it will be close. Ross and Sorey will have to play well again and the defense will have to stop giving up those big plays on 3rd and long for Lv to have a chance imo. I know 87 and 25 will come to play. You can't have turnovers and stupid penalties too like 07 said. Lv definitely has the offense to play keep away and eat up clock, just not sure they can do it against this team. Good luck Bos!

It will be the toughest team Longview has faced all year.

Anyone know how Longview's defense stacks up to other defenses LR has played this season?

I would be willing to bet that Longview's defense is the best defense LR will have seen. I've not seen Summit, but you folks have. Does Longview have a better D than Summit? If so, then I'd say LR will see their best defense on Saturday night. All I know is that Longview runs the ball better than Poteet and LR showed some softness. I also think that Longview will get some key stops. Control the clock, stay ahead on the scoreboard and get to the 4th quarter to make LR butts pucker. LR hasn't been in a close 4th quarter game yet this year. Duffey is not infallible. I saw some dumb throws last night to go along with his great throws.

See, that's the problem.

You're not going to "shut down" a team like Lake Ridge.

You have to just limit them. LR is not unbeatable. We believe we can win. Our defense has been our strong hold this season, thankfully. We'll see what happens. No one thinks we're going to be able to do it anyways, go out there and have some fun.

As a fan, I'm just enjoying this ride to some December football. Has been a fun ride for the most part, despite some frustrating games.

FYI, Tylan Miller moved into 6th all-time in touchdowns scored in Lobo history yesterday with his 3 TDs. Stands just 2 behind Andre Davis for 5th.

1) Fred Talley - 54

2) Vondrell McGee - 48

3) Tyler McCray - 46

4) Earnest Hunter - 45

5) Andre Davis - 35

6) Tylan Miller - 33

7) Leo McCoy - 30

FYI, Tylan Miller moved into 6th all-time in touchdowns scored in Lobo history yesterday with his 3 TDs. Stands just 2 behind Andre Davis for 5th.

1) Fred Talley - 54

2) Vondrell McGee - 48

3) Tyler McCray - 46

4) Earnest Hunter - 45

5) Andre Davis - 35

6) Tylan Miller - 33

7) Leo McCoy - 30

And those 33 are just as impressive as any number on that list with all of the runners we have on this team.