2A D1 Semi-final: Lovelady vs Refugio

eka

Lovelady vs Refugio  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Think LL will get a couple of picks, Stuff the run, and Seal the edge for Williams. Play 85' Chicago Bears type defense, Mesmerizes and inspires the referees and wins another. I wonder if all of the coaches at Refugio still don't teach ? I'm for LL all the way. They are smart, football savvy, beyond well coached, and tougher than woodpecker lips! LL 28 Refugio 17

Refugio will be tough. They usually are. But, Lovelady will show up to play and play hard. Anything is possible, that's why the game is played. Remember, Refugio just knocked off undefeated Shiner, who made a LOT of mistakes that the Comanches usually don't make.

Lovelady in a nail biter. It's going to be a battle of speed. Refugio is quick, too.

Not sure who you're getting your information from, but I was scouting this game and didn't see the "lot of mistakes that Shiner usually don't make" as you said in your post. The Refugio vs Shiner game was a slug fest and both teams played great. Refugio just made more plays and won the game. A play or two more made on the Shiner side and they could have won. Looked to me like Refugio had an outstanding game plan and seemed to me Refugio out coached and the players just made a few more plays, especially the final defensive stand.

Lovelady may want to do some consulting with Waskom who thought they were really good two years ago until they ran into the Refugio buzz-saw in the semi-final. Fortunately for Waskom, they got another shot and took the title last year.

I am picking Refugio because, after watching the Shelbyville- Lovelady game last night, one thing is painfully obvious. Both of those teams are one dimensional. Maybe in that class, you can be one dimensional and win a title, but if they meet up with a team that has a good run defense, they will be in trouble.

Speaking of good run defense... Refugio has faced Cameron Yoe (a school with about 3 times the students), Mason and Shiner. They looked pretty good against Yoe in the first half, then Yoe opened up a can of whoop on them in the second half. First game with Shiner, not so good. Last two games against Mason and then Shiner, Refugio was very solid against the run and with that being all those two teams were capable of doing on offense, I believe that was the difference in the game.

This ought to be a good one.

Is that same slap that cisco coach schooled still coaching Refugio?

Might be worthwhile to have a little more first-hand knowledge about a man before you start denigrating his character. I know Refugio's coach has been torn apart all over various forums in years past, but seems it has been done by folks that think they have to comment on everything, even when they don't really have a clue. Let's show some class on the LL side and don't go down this road.

• Like 1

The type of Offense Refugio runs makes me think Lovelady can take them. Lovelady d is pretty legit and when your in the spread and all the games I have watched with there big 6-5 d-end he is almost impossible to block one on one, and hes on your QB fast and creates havoc with his long arms. Hard to throw with him coming at you. I like Lovelady odds even more vs a spread team.

Bad thing about that if he don't throw he's gonna run and he's not a small kid about 6'2 215-220lbs he'll get his yards on the ground receivers all tall and fast and seem to get open what was not mentioned was that one of receivers dropped 2 passes that could of been TD's, or would of been against Shiner. whether or not LL has seen anything like Refugio remains to be seen, They're big strong fast quick and they get after it

Speaking of good run defense... Refugio has faced Cameron Yoe (a school with about 3 times the students), Mason and Shiner. They looked pretty good against Yoe in the first half, then Yoe opened up a can of whoop on them in the second half. First game with Shiner, not so good. Last two games against Mason and then Shiner, Refugio was very solid against the run and with that being all those two teams were capable of doing on offense, I believe that was the difference in the game.

Actually they trailed Yoe by a single point at the end of the third quarter

They played Yoe with 4 starters sitting the bench in the first half for those who don't know

Wow, what an opportunity. I've watched Refugio several times over the last few years at the state championship games. Several things will stick in your mind when you watch them. They are well coached, they execute extremely well, and they always have athletes that will get after you. Is this going to be a huge challenge for the Lions? Absolutely!!! Do I think Lovelady can pull the upset? Yes I do. But it will take every player and coach on the field believing they can do this. Not only on the field Friday night, but every day this week on that practice field. Most kids don't get this opportunity. They have to rise up to the challenge and just go out and play the game of their life. I've watched these kids step up over the last few weeks and put themselves in a position to do what no Lovelady team has ever done. Play for a state championship!!! Now LIONS, go take the fight to the Bobcats and leave it all on the field. This little community of 649 people that we call Lovelady, and many more all across East Texas, have your back! ROLL ON LIONS!!!!

• Like 2

Actually they trailed Yoe by a single point at the end of the third quarter

Not sure what your point is. Yeah it was a single point, annnddd.... then Yoe proceeded to open a can of whoop on them with the final score being something like 42-27. Refugio did play them tough up to a point and then kind of had a meltdown. Their kids and coach started getting hot and had multiple (I think three) personal foul penalties called that all contributed to the meltdown. I don't see any of this as a problem for Refugio at this point because as I said in my first post, Yoe is about three time larger a school than Refugio. It also looks like Refugio has turned the corner on some of the penalty and other behind the scene "issues" they dealt with earlier this season.

They played Yoe with 4 starters sitting the bench in the first half for those who don't know

I was at the Yoe game. Yes, I think they only had 3 starters on the bench for the first half and they did better with those starters on the bench than they did once they entered the game in the second half... "for those who don't know." I'm pretty sure it was one of those starters that sat on the bench that got one, if not two, of the personal fouls in the second half.

Having said all that, my opinion is we can put what we saw in the Yoe game aside because the Refugio team I saw Friday night against Shiner and the scouting report I got from the Mason game indicates the Bobcats have come together as a disciplined team and are in the zone at the right time. Looks like we're all in for a great game.

Not sure what your point is. Yeah it was a single point, annnddd.... then Yoe proceeded to open a can of whoop on them with the final score being something like 42-27. Refugio did play them tough up to a point and then kind of had a meltdown. Their kids and coach started getting hot and had multiple (I think three) personal foul penalties called that all contributed to the meltdown. I don't see any of this as a problem for Refugio at this point because as I said in my first post, Yoe is about three time larger a school than Refugio. It also looks like Refugio has turned the corner on some of the penalty and other behind the scene "issues" they dealt with earlier this season.

My point? My point was that it was a closer game than what the score appears. You said they opened a can of whoop the second half. That was hardly the case. It was a 1 point game after half of the second half was complete (only due to a missed Refugio PAT) And an 8 point (1 score game) until the final minute of the 4th. So I don't see how that is a can of anything really.

My point? My point was that it was a closer game than what the score appears. You said they opened a can of whoop the second half. That was hardly the case. It was a 1 point game after half of the second half was complete (only due to a missed Refugio PAT) And an 8 point (1 score game) until the final minute of the 4th. So I don't see how that is a can of anything really.

Either you weren't there or you got bad scouting report. Refugio was in disintegration mode, getting multiple unsportsmanlike penalties when they couldn't afford to give any ground. It was a whoopin' in the second half. Yoe was in charge and it was obvious to anyone sitting in the stands with a smiggin' of football sense.

Alright, that's all I'll say about that. This is the Lovelady vs Refugio thread.

If Lovelady can get in Refugio's heads and get them riled up, they have a good shot at taking this one. If Refugio plays up to 80-90% of their ability, stay calm, and minimize penalties they will likely roll in this one. But, that is the huge unknown for Refugio... can they maintain the levelheadedness and stability that they've had over the past 5-6 weeks?