(14-0) Gilmer Buckeyes vs (14-0) Celina Bobcats

GTownballer

Gilmer vs Celina  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Well after just taking a look at Celina's schedule it looks to me as though the toughest team Celina has faced was Monohans and Monohans didn't really have that tough of a schedule other than Argyle...Snyder>>>>?

So I think this game is a toss-up now.

Everyone picking Celina because they beat Argyle... The world beating football powerhouse that they are. Gilmer beat Carthage- the same Carthage squad that just KO'd Navasota. Are people's standards for Gilmer really that unrealistic? Give them some credit...

Now I'll buy that one. L.E. appeared to have a real good team this year. Good luck Buckeyes!! However, I know you guys lost your Head 'Mechanic' this year and once you lose him the bolts start rattling eventually.

Bull...maybe your program would but not ours...much larger than one man

I'm not sure why some folks are sleeping on Celina's defense? I think folks will see they get after it and fly to the ball. Also I bet someone on Gilmers defense gets KO'D this week! That actually sounded dirty on mean spirited that wasn't my intent. I say that cause there will come a time in the game maybe a few times when a beast will be unleashed lol. Its just a well executed play.

Gilmer's defense is GREAT. They're not good, they're GREAT. Atlanta was in pretty good shape coming in. #3 was banged up, and not sure if #5 was 100%, but we still had no answer. We had opportunity and failed to capitalize on it numerous times. Then the window closed. Great game between 2 high powered defenses for sure.

On to Celina vs Gilmer

Snowbird, I dare you to attempt to correct me this time when I say this. The key for Celina will be to get pressure on Spears. I have heard all year that Celina has a huge O-line, but if they don't have a good D-line, then Gilmer will pick them apart on the defense. If you can get pressure on Spears, he will make mistakes. I said it last week and I was 110% correct. Spears threw 3 picks (should have been 5), and hit on 53% of his passes.

Gilmer's defense is great, like I said, but a big part is due to Boyd and Olivares. I've heard all year that Celina's O-line is big, but are they good? Size doesn't mean everything. They will have to stop some very explosive defensive players from getting into the backfield. This will be the match-up to watch the entire game, and could ultimately decide it.

This is going to be a great game, really wish I could go to it. I will see the victor in Houston however. Good luck Gilmer! Take it all the way!

I was at the game Friday between gilmer/Atlanta I think that if Atlanta doesn't lose there starting Quarterback at the beginning of the 3rd quarter I believe they would have won.That quarterback made the difference on that Team kinda like gilmer saying that about #5.My opinion

I was at the game Friday between gilmer/Atlanta I think that if Atlanta doesn't lose there starting Quarterback at the beginning of the 3rd quarter I believe they would have won.That quarterback made the difference on that Team kinda like gilmer saying that about #5.My opinion

Hard to say really. I feel like we didn't use our 2nd string the way he could have been used. Gilmer was biting on the RB read HARD when we did the read option with our backup out there. We should have known they would, and used the QB's legs to our advantage. We never did get a decent drive going without #3 though. I can't take anything away from the Buckeye defense though. They don't allow much, at all.

He came back into the game, just a few plays later! If your talking about #3? They've rotated #8 and #3 all year! #8 is the better passer! He was on the money, on the endzone throws, but Gilmers D'backs played lights out! #3 Devin Smith, #13 Lamarcus Morton, #12 Collin Hurt, are playing very well! I think Collin is leading ET in Int's....Like I said before, Atlanta, possessed size and speed on Defense, reminded alot of Carthage, and WOS last year, dont know if Celina possesses those kinds of kids!

Buckeyefandom, you have stated several times that Gilmer is yet to play their best football game. What are you basing that assumption on? Is that just your opinion or is there something that causes you to feel that way? When do they play their best game? If they don't win state, will they have played their best game already? Time is running out for them to play that best game. I am just curious as to what is keeping them from playing their best.

He came back into the game, just a few plays later! If your talking about #3? They've rotated #8 and #3 all year! #8 is the better passer! He was on the money, on the endzone throws, but Gilmers D'backs played lights out! #3 Devin Smith, #13 Lamarcus Morton, #12 Collin Hurt, are playing very well! I think Collin is leading ET in Int's....Like I said before, Atlanta, possessed size and speed on Defense, reminded alot of Carthage, and WOS last year, dont know if Celina possesses those kinds of kids!

We haven't rotated them all year. Only time #8 goes in is when #3 is hurt. Just a lot of bad breaks against Gilmer. Dropped passes, missed reads. Gilmer did exactly what had to be done. Hope y'all can do the same to Celina.

I will say this though, #8 has a cannon. I can't wait to see how he plays next year. Hopefully the receiver core we have coming up will have some better hands than our boys had Friday night.

Hmmmmmmm when I read this thread, I'm not one bit smarter than I was before I read the thing. LOL,, at best I'm more confused. These two teams have very little in common other than both being undefeated I'm thinking. The only common piece of info anyone has to go on with these two teams is that Gilmer shut out Melissa 60 - 0 and Celina beat them 53 - 13, but the results were pretty similar. Hard to make much out of that comparison. So, some would say the only common opponent results shows that Gilmer should win by one or two scores, at least that's how some folks might read that. Others might say that because Celina has had an average score of around 48 pts per game, and Gilmer is about 37 - 38 pts per game Celina wins by 10. Or Celina has scored just under 200 points more than Gilmer has so far in 2015, and has allowed 69 points less than Gilmer, that Celina's offense and defense is better than Gilmer's and should win by around 20 points. Or maybe the fact that Celina is ranked #26 over all in the State rankings in all classes, and the Buckeyes are ranked #48. Although I'm not sure how you rank teams all the way from 2A to 6 A and lump them all together and decide where they fall. But if you really can, then by those stats, Celina should win by at least two maybe three touchdowns. Any way you look at things, according to all those stats, it leads me to see that Gilmer is by far the underdog in this matchup. So I would have to,, by looking at all that,, say that Celina wins going away. After all, they seem to be more powerful, and more balanced, higher ranked, and less error prone than Gilmer is. Seems like this could be a sad night in Buckeye land.

But wait,,, Celina has basically donkey stomped everybody they have played. Gilmer has had to hang on to a couple of leads, had to come from behind in a couple other games, have had closer games than Celina, has won 30 in a row including a State Championship, has the heart of a lion, a never lose no matter what the score might be at half time, or end of the third quarter mentality. And there is a tiny little blip in the back of Celina's mind that says,, ooops,, we've never beaten the Buckeyes. In fact, we haven't came close. Those are intangibles that tip the scales back a bit towards center for this game. What that says to me is that Gilmer has been battle tested a bit more this season. If I recall correctly, in the seasons we've lost in the playoffs at some point, back over the past 15 years, we had been donkey stomping our opponents all year, we were high in the power rankings, were pretty balanced, weren't very error proned at all,, and yet we got our clocks cleaned, or just flat outplayed in a few of those years,, by LE,, Canton,, Liberty Hill,, Argyle and Navasota. In some of those seasons we were the favorite, and some the underdog. My point being, when you get this far into the season, you just never know, because it's just doggone hard to look backwards, and accurately predetermine the outcome of a game.

So I guess I'm feelin' that this game is going to be basically a toss up. All things considered,,I don't look for either team to win by more than 14 points. I'm thinking turnovers, special teams/field position game, the mental state of mind through practice all week and at game time, and third down success, will all play a big part in who wins Friday. Actually, those things are huge factors in most games. Past results, and team history, and current years rankings are no better factors than what I just mention as to determining the winner. It's what takes place on the field of play, that night, that really counts. Win or lose, the 2015 Gilmer Buckeye team has endeared themselves to 99.9% of our fans as being entertaining to say the least, determined much more than most to win, a team that never quits, that plays just as hard with ten minutes to go as they did the first ten, in fact, usually much better. And a team that has exceeded most all of our expectations.

I don't "expect" the Buckeyes to win this week. But then again, I don't "expect" us to lose either. I say that, because of all the factors that can and probably will rare up and bite one of the teams in this game. What I "do expect" from the Buckeyes, is that they will play hard for 48 minutes, they will "not" lay down if they get behind,, that they will be senior and coaching led,, that they will have a good game plan,, and I "expect them" to play their best game of the season. I expect Demarco, Tristan and the rest of the front 7 to try and be in Celina's backfield all night. I expect that our DB's will be looking very hard to get turnovers with picks, and play blanket coverage. Whether that will translate into a win for Gilmer or not, nobody knows at this point. But these kids have been Champions of the State of Texas in 4-A, Division II football for the past year, they are 30 - 0 since the first game of 2014, and they have done so with class, and because they are a doggone good football team. I expect them to play like that record suggests,,, that they are a cut above 99.5% of the 4-A Division II schools in the State, and that they are not in awe about Celina, WOS, or Cuero no matter who they play. Get ready for a good game, and may the best team win, and show they are the best. Everybody drive safely to and from Memorial Stadium this week, and just sit back, be positive, and enjoy the game Friday night.

Notice I didn't even mention officiating in the coming game? That's because I've seen some games where the officials called a very good game, even when the calls went against us, and I've seen games where it was pitifully officiated. It's like Forrest Gump said,,, "officiating is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. " Oh wait,,, did he say that?? Maybe not,,, but it is somewhat true, even though at this stage of the game everyone should be getting the best officiating crews in the state. I'd just hate to see bad calls, or non-calls influence this game in a negative way for either team. Hopefully that won't happen.

And one more thing, I know I don't have any right to tell anyone else what to do or not do, but I just hope all the Gilmer "true fans" and "fake fans" alike will refrain from yelling and screaming about what our coaches are doing during the game. Please,,,, and I'm asking, not telling you, please,, leave all that to next day Dairy Queen chatter, family chatter, driving home chatter, or what ever, quietly, between yourself and your friend next to you,,,, again, "Quietly". I've heard some of that lately, and talked to others who have heard the same thing. These kids and coaches deserve that respect from the fans they have diligently entertained for the past 14 games,, wait,, make that 30 games. We've been given a LOT,, and I mean "a lot", by these kids and coaches, so let's show them the respect they deserve. If we can't do that, then we're not real fans anyway.

• Like 2

Roughrider, I know you didn't ask that question to me, but rather buckeyefandom, but here is my take for what it's worth. I think most folks from Gilmer feel we haven't played "up to our capabilities" yet this year because of the mistakes we frequently make during the games. There are only about two games we've played this year where we've basically dominated the other team. To me, dominating isn't always just winning by big margines. you have to win in all facets of the game. Too often we've lost the turnover and penalties battles. At times we've played without the focus we should have or maybe not put teams away when we've gotten an early lead, call it killer instinct or what ever. Just not finishing games like we are used to. So maybe the Bucks haven't played our best game yet. Maybe we won't do that this year,, if "best game" means winning in all facets of the game, or maybe our feelings we can play better isn't founded in truth, but rather what we "hope" we can do,,, but so far, we've managed to win every game. We "might" win the next two and not play well enough to win in all facets,, or even look like the best team out there. It's been kind of a Jekyll and Hyde kinda team,,, but a winning team. No complaints here,, the thought is, we can still play better than we have. Hopefully, we can do that this week. If not, we might not get the outcome we all want up here. Of course we want to play our best as coaches, the team, and us fans. But keeping the bus wheels rolling is the main objective, and one we can all agree on. Every team got this far because they are good teams. Again, there is only one winner in the Texas, 4 - A Division II bracket. Of course we all in Gilmer want that to be us. Regardless, no Gilmer team I can recall has given any more effort and heart to the games than the team has this season, and I expect them to do the same thing against Celina this week, win or lose.