(14-0) Gilmer Buckeyes vs (14-0) Celina Bobcats

GTownballer

Gilmer vs Celina  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Welcome all you Celina posters to Smoaky for our Annual Smack talk. I don't know how many of you have kept up with the Gilmer threads this year, so I'm here to fill you in.

First, Gilmer's coaching staff is horrible, maybe the worst in the state. In fact, the head coach is probably going to destroy in one year what it took Saint Jeff 12 years to build. I cannot tell you all of their faults, but two stick out more than the rest. The first big issue is Gilmer plays the wrong players. All the time at all positions. Wrong QB, wrong running backs, wrong receivers, you name it. And the reason: politics. It's really bad. The second big issue is the play calling. Gilmer's coaches throw the ball all the time, when they should be running it (except for those times when they run the ball and should be throwing it). So just understand, this is the worst coached 14-0 team in the history of the USA.

Second, Gilmer has a lot of transfers. Tons of them. In fact, nine starters on offense and 21 starters on defense are transfers. (Since no one is allowed to use the "R" word anymore, "transfer" is the new taboo statement).

Third, Gilmer cheats. Usually by paying off the refs, but sometimes in other ways.

I think I covered everything you need to know for the upcoming game. BTW, all of my information came from the excellent posters on Smoaky, some "closely" connected to the Gilmer program.

• Like 1

OK, in all seriousness, here's what you need to know, Celina.

First, Gilmer lost its starting QB, RB, and top 4 receivers from last years team. Last year's group was perhaps the most talented that ever came through GHS. And yet somehow, they are 14-0 and in the semifinals. I think the reason is excellent coaching, a proud tradition, and kids who hadn't played significant roles in the past stepping up big time. I am majorly impressed with how some kids have played this year as they took on positions of leadership and starting roles.

Second, Gilmer is built around a tough, stingy, stubborn defense this year. the front 7 is really good, and the secondary has gotten better as the year has gone on. They can still score in bunches, but the team is predicated on its defense creating opportunities.

Third, Gilmer is deep. They rotate a lot of kids in and out on the D line, at cornerback, and the linebackers. They also play about 3 kids at running back, and alternate receivers. For most of the year, they've been the fresher team come the 4th quarter. In fact, in their 4 closest games (LE, Carthage, Center, & Atlanta), they needed to play keep away at the end of the game and were able to do it by running down the other team's throat.

I don't know how they will match up with Celina this year. They don't have the state championship track speed they had last year. But this is the most stubborn Gilmer team I think I've seen. So we'll see you Friday.

Gilmer's defense is GREAT. They're not good, they're GREAT. Atlanta was in pretty good shape coming in. #3 was banged up, and not sure if #5 was 100%, but we still had no answer. We had opportunity and failed to capitalize on it numerous times. Then the window closed. Great game between 2 high powered defenses for sure.

On to Celina vs Gilmer

Snowbird, I dare you to attempt to correct me this time when I say this. The key for Celina will be to get pressure on Spears. I have heard all year that Celina has a huge O-line, but if they don't have a good D-line, then Gilmer will pick them apart on the defense. If you can get pressure on Spears, he will make mistakes. I said it last week and I was 110% correct. Spears threw 3 picks (should have been 5), and hit on 53% of his passes.

Gilmer's defense is great, like I said, but a big part is due to Boyd and Olivares. I've heard all year that Celina's O-line is big, but are they good? Size doesn't mean everything. They will have to stop some very explosive defensive players from getting into the backfield. This will be the match-up to watch the entire game, and could ultimately decide it.

This is going to be a great game, really wish I could go to it. I will see the victor in Houston however. Good luck Gilmer! Take it all the way!

You shouldn't have dared me. Lol

Look, the key for any team is to pressure the QB. That is how all QBs make mistakes. Pressure caused Tom Brady to throw a pick 6 yesterday.

You and I will disagree on Spears. You don't know him. I am biased because I coached him for years. He makes his share of mistakes and owns up to them. He is harder on himself than any coach will be. However, he isn't mistake prone and he has proved it throughout the year. He had a couple of bad games but that happens. He does a good job of stepping up in the pocket with pressure. A big reason Gilmer is 14-0. He did have 3 INTs against Atlanta but only 1 of them due to pressure. The first one he made a bad decision to throw under pressure. He knows it and was furious at himself. He was still mad about it after the game. I said forget about it, you won. 2nd throw was great protection on a deep ball he put on the money but the Safety came over to make a great play. You even said it was the best play of the night. 3rd pick was a screen that was set up great but that DE/LE hybrid monster jumped up and snatch it. Another great play. All credit to Atlanta on those two. It wasn't like he was pressure on those two and panicked. He was 18 for 31 according to LNJ sports writer for 58% not 53% as you state. Not bad against that defense that just pitched 2 shutouts. Add to the fact there were 3 drops or that percentage worked have been 68%. He is not going to be a high completion QB because Gilmer has too many drops. Been a problem all year. Not a knock on the WRs because they know how to get open and make great catches as well. Just a problem area. All that to say, Zac won't cave under pressure. He knows how to win and isn't afraid of the big moments. Ask the Gilmer coaches. That is why they continue to throw in key situations when lots of us in the stands want to run it. Two 4th downs late against Atlanta needing 5 yards or less. I say give it to Demarco. They throw it both times and convert. Shows you their trust in Zac. Driving for the tying score against PG inside the 10 yard line after throwing 4 picks. I say give it to Demarco 4 times. They call a pass play and Zac throws a TD. Coaches don't call those plays if they think a kid can't handle pressure. He will be just fine whether Celina gets pressure on him or not just like he has been the other 14 games. I would prefer to see less pressure than Atlanta got on him but he can handle it. I have seen it too many times for you to convince me otherwise. At the end of the day Gilmer is undefeated with wins against LE, Carthage, Center and Atlanta. Sometimes it isn't pretty but I would take my chances with him to win 2 more for three reasons. The kid is mentally tough, he isn't scared to fail and he knows how to win.

I really don't care if you or anybody else criticizes me for sticking up for the kid. He is like another son to me and my family. When several people predicted Gilmer to take a step back and have multiple losses this year I said they would be fine. I knew they had a winner at QB, a great coaching staff and a group of kids that can grind it out. A true team. At this point anything else is icing on the cake because they have gone further than expected. However, don't be suprised if Z and the rest of the gang finds a way to get it done.

• Like 2

Look, the key for any team is to pressure the QB. That is how all QBs make mistakes. Pressure caused Tom Brady to throw a pick 6 yesterday.

You and I will disagree on Spears. You don't know him. I am biased because I coached him for years. He makes his share of mistakes and owns up to them. He is harder on himself than any coach will be. However, he isn't mistake prone and he has proved it throughout the year. He had a couple of bad games but that happens. He does a good job of stepping up in the pocket with pressure. A big reason Gilmer is 14-0. He did have 3 INTs against Atlanta but only 1 of them due to pressure. The first one he made a bad decision to throw under pressure. He knows it and was furious at himself. He was still mad about it after the game. I said forget about it, you won. 2nd throw was great protection on a deep ball he put on the money but the Safety came over to make a great play. You even said it was the best play of the night. 3rd pick was a screen that was set up great but that DE/LE hybrid monster jumped up and snatch it. Another great play. All credit to Atlanta on those two. It wasn't like he was pressure on those two and panicked. He was 18 for 31 according to LNJ sports writer for 58% not 53% as you state. Not bad against that defense that just pitched 2 shutouts. Add to the fact there were 3 drops or that percentage worked have been 68%. He is not going to be a high completion QB because Gilmer has too many drops. Been a problem all year. Not a knock on the WRs because they know how to get open and make great catches as well. Just a problem area. All that to say, Zac won't cave under pressure. He knows how to win and isn't afraid of the big moments. Ask the Gilmer coaches. That is why they continue to throw in key situations when lots of us in the stands want to run it. Two 4th downs late against Atlanta needing 5 yards or less. I say give it to Demarco. They throw it both times and convert. Shows you their trust in Zac. Driving for the tying score against PG inside the 10 yard line after throwing 4 picks. I say give it to Demarco 4 times. They call a pass play and Zac throws a TD. Coaches don't call those plays if they think a kid can't handle pressure. He will be just fine whether Celina gets pressure on him or not just like he has been the other 14 games. I would prefer to see less pressure than Atlanta got on him but he can handle it. I have seen it too many times for you to convince me otherwise. At the end of the day Gilmer is undefeated with wins against LE, Carthage, Center and Atlanta. Sometimes it isn't pretty but I would take my chances with him to win 2 more for three reasons. The kid is mentally tough, he isn't scared to fail and he knows how to win.

I really don't care if you or anybody else criticizes me for sticking up for the kid. He is like another son to me and my family. When several people predicted Gilmer to take a step back and have multiple losses this year I said they would be fine. I knew they had a winner at QB, a great coaching staff and a group of kids that can grind it out. A true team. At this point anything else is icing on the cake because they have gone further than expected. However, don't be suprised if Z and the rest of the gang finds a way to get it done.

+100000000000000000000000000

You seem to take to take what I say as a shot at his character as a person. I am by no means saying he's a bad person, he will never succeed in life, doesn't care about football, none of those. I'm saying, that when he gets pressure, he throws bad passes. Yes he had 3 picks Saturday, I happen to think 1 of them was due to pressure, and 1 of them WAS the actual pressure itself that caught it - and even with that being said, the pressure caused him to back pedal on his throw. Truth be told, he should have thrown 5 picks, but 2 where dropped (one had 6 written all over it).

I'm sure the kid is a great kid. I'm sure he was hard on himself. I hate that, I really do. I commend him for wanting to strive to be better, but it doesn't change my initial statement which you argued with. I said if you get pressure on him, he will make mistakes. You said he doesn't make mistakes under pressure. I even pulled statistics from all of the better teams they have played this year. I guess we will agree to disagree, but I call making half or less of your throws when against better teams or intense pressure, mistake prone. Especially when it comes to turning the ball over.

edit: Let me add that he handles mental pressure very well it seems. It's the physical pressure that gets him. He's clutch, no doubt. But I will say that the run game has bailed them out in the last 2 games I have seen them in.

Also, ETSN.FM statistics say - Z.Spears - Comp-Att-Int 17-32-3 53%

Also, MaxPreps.com statistics say - Z.Spears

12/04 W 24-15 Atlanta 17 32 192 .531 11.3 1 3 42.7

Please don't take it personally. I have ties with all of these kids that are on our team, I'm not that much older than them, but I can admit when they make mistakes and what causes them. It's not about his demeanor as a person, that he isn't a good QB, or anything of that sort. I am not saying he isn't good at what he does, or pull him, because I've seen him pull it out 3 times this year. It is exactly what I said it was the very first time I ever said anything about, and that was what Atlanta would have to do to win. We got that part done, just couldn't move it on offense.

Lol by the way this comment made my laugh " that DE/LE hybrid monster jumped up and snatch it."

He is pretty big lol. Glad he will be back next year.

I was at the game Friday between gilmer/Atlanta I think that if Atlanta doesn't lose there starting Quarterback at the beginning of the 3rd quarter I believe they would have won.That quarterback made the difference on that Team kinda like gilmer saying that about #5.My opinion

Lol. Your opinion.

For what it's worth, I think Atlanta had the best defense we faced all year. We had to fight for every yard. It wasn't until the 4th quarter before we finally wore them down enough to do what we do with a lead, and that is kill the clock. Kudos to Atlanta for absolutely bringing it. If you'll notice, Gilmer answered the bell every time Atlanta made the game close, with a scoring drive of their own. It's the Black Flag DEFENSE that allowed our offense to wear Atlanta's defense down by not allowing the Rabbit offense to get anything going for the most part.

Those three picks, one a pick 6, one a return to the 9-yard line, and another return to the 23-yard line netted a total of only 15 points allowed, including the pick 6. The Black Flag DEFENSE deserves to be recognized as the MVP, with C.J. Grimmett getting the game ball, in my opinion.

Celina will likely try to duplicate what Atlanta did defensively. They will try to stuff the run game, and get pressure on Zac. Doing both is not going to be easy for sure. Gilmer will mix things up offensively. I think this Gilmer / Celina game will be decided by who has the best defense, in my opinion. The Buckeyes will have to do what they do best, and that is grind out a win, regardless of what mistakes are made, or not made. Having a good vertical game would certainly relieve some of the pressure off Zac, though. We have to give Zac good sight lines, a little extra tick or two of time, and the receivers have to get open in those sight lines.

Celina's offense is more balanced, so it will be a little more difficult to completely stop both. The defense will have to take something almost completely away, keep them under pressure, and make them have some doubts. If they allow Celina to build confidence, and keep it, we will definitely have a tough time putting them away. The Buckeyes will have to dictate the pace, and establish their game plan, and execute that game plan. They will not be able to afford letting Celina dictate.

I look forward to a very good game between these two. It won't be the same as last year, for sure, but I still say the Buckeyes will do what they do best, and that is find a way to get the "W".

By the way, that pass that #43 intercepted was not a screen, it was a pass into the flat, which makes it that much more impressive lol.

I would bet he heard wrong. He wrong about 89.45% of the time.

Just going by what FSSW said. I see you're just as foul as always.

I have to admit that I have not followed either team much this year. The intangible that MAY make a difference is health and freshness. I have heard that Celina has had an easier path through the playoffs with nearly all being first half shutouts that have allowed the starters to rest. This can work against them as well as they are either fresh or they may lack condition to play a full 60 minutes. Should be a good game. 16 games in a row is a grind for anyone at any level.

That was an amazing post, and I agree with every bit of fit. +1,000,000,000,000,000

Well, this has been an interesting read. Some obvious haters and kool aid drinkers but also a nice mix of true football fans with analytical ability.

A few things stand out.

East Texas Speed.

Not Gilmer this year.... fast but not scary

Celina will be able to match the speed.

Gilmers run game.

strong. Good line play and good reads by the backs.

Again no breakaway speed like past years but good speed and can be hard to catch if they get out in the open.

Celina backs.

good Again good line play with a couple of backs that are special but not one man teams.

One guy is fast enough and another is strong enough and can fake you out of your shorts.

The other 4 or 5 are quick and will pound the hole hard.

QB edge goes to Celina..... 41 touchdowns 5 picks 3400 plus yards and he is also the leading rusher

Celina does backs by comittee to keep people fresh but the qb stays in thus the rush leader.

HE has thrown 7 td passes in two different games.

Celina has scored 42 points in the first quarter twice and 35 once and in another game was 56 to 7 halfway thru the second quarter

So even tho the average is 51.466 that is a deceiving number. Celina has four games over sixty and could have scored 100 in any of several games

But the O can play power ball as well. In the Perryton game due to weather Celina ran the ball all day to 46 points.

Gilmer O passing.

Good but they are more grind em this year.

They can throw but have been mistake prone with dropped passes and inconsistent accuracy on occasion.

Celina front seven.

Big and good but a lot of the credit goes to the secondary for blanket coverage.

Pass pressure very good getting to the qb even on quick throws

They play the run very well with multiple tackles for loss in each game.

Gilmer D tough no doubt about it.

Very good. Probably equal to Argyle's....The guys from argyle believe it is one of their best defenses.

Celina scored 46 on Argyle and controlled the tempo of the game.

IMHO This will be the interesting because of the caliber of the black flag d and Celina's ability on offense.

I believe the Celina D is good enough to slow down the Gilmer O....

I believe all things being equal it is a close game

Turnovers and mistakes will decide this game.

Celina's O tends to play with fewer mistakes for the most part.

IF the black flag d can control the celina o it is anybody's guess....

You seem to take to take what I say as a shot at his character as a person. I am by no means saying he's a bad person, he will never succeed in life, doesn't care about football, none of those. I'm saying, that when he gets pressure, he throws bad passes. Yes he had 3 picks Saturday, I happen to think 1 of them was due to pressure, and 1 of them WAS the actual pressure itself that caught it - and even with that being said, the pressure caused him to back pedal on his throw. Truth be told, he should have thrown 5 picks, but 2 where dropped (one had 6 written all over it).

I'm sure the kid is a great kid. I'm sure he was hard on himself. I hate that, I really do. I commend him for wanting to strive to be better, but it doesn't change my initial statement which you argued with. I said if you get pressure on him, he will make mistakes. You said he doesn't make mistakes under pressure. I even pulled statistics from all of the better teams they have played this year. I guess we will agree to disagree, but I call making half or less of your throws when against better teams or intense pressure, mistake prone. Especially when it comes to turning the ball over.

edit: Let me add that he handles mental pressure very well it seems. It's the physical pressure that gets him. He's clutch, no doubt. But I will say that the run game has bailed them out in the last 2 games I have seen them in.

Also, ETSN.FM statistics say - Z.Spears - Comp-Att-Int 17-32-3 53%

Also, MaxPreps.com statistics say - Z.Spears

12/04 W 24-15 Atlanta 17 32 192 .531 11.3 1 3 42.7

Please don't take it personally. I have ties with all of these kids that are on our team, I'm not that much older than them, but I can admit when they make mistakes and what causes them. It's not about his demeanor as a person, that he isn't a good QB, or anything of that sort. I am not saying he isn't good at what he does, or pull him, because I've seen him pull it out 3 times this year. It is exactly what I said it was the very first time I ever said anything about, and that was what Atlanta would have to do to win. We got that part done, just couldn't move it on offense.

Lol by the way this comment made my laugh " that DE/LE hybrid monster jumped up and snatch it."

He is pretty big lol. Glad he will be back next year.

I'm not from Gilmer, Atlanta or Celina, so I have no dog in this fight nor do most on here give a care about my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Every time you have posted in the playoffs on a Gilmer thread, you have given the main key to beating Gilmer as the opposing defenses putting pressure on Spears. Every thread and almost every post. Over and over again. Your comments dictate that you believe Spears is Gilmer's weakness, but yet he continues to win games and be a leader on and off the field. You would probably argue that Gilmer's defense has won the majority of their games, and while the Black Flag defense is great, defense by itself can't win the majority of a team's games. You could ask several teams this year about that. Even Atlanta's defense played well against the Buckeyes but yet the Rabbit offense couldn't take advantage of what their defense provided them with. Or how about PG? Seems like their offense didn't take advantage either.

Yes, QB's can make mistakes, but just because they get pressured doesn't mean they will. Nor is every interception the QB's fault, or completion percentage the QB's fault. I think Snowbird reminded you of how many passes were dropped. Don't think that's the QB's fault nor does pressure on the QB cause a drop pass. Plus a lot of teams win games completing less than 53% of their passes and then there are many teams that would love to have Zach Spears play QB for them!

Bottom line is maybe you could come up with another key how Celina could beat Gilmer, because so far putting pressure on Spears hasn't worked for any team this year! Just my opinion for what it's worth.

If Celina has a passing game and can give the quarterback a little time, they will give Gilmer fits. Center gave them fits with the qb scrambling all night. Center had 200+ yards passing against their defense, with one receiver having over 130 yards receiving. Gilmer's run defense is top notch but the passing defense is suspect at best.

If Celina has a passing game and can give the quarterback a little time, they will give Gilmer fits. Center gave them fits with the qb scrambling all night. Center had 200+ yards passing against their defense, with one receiver having over 130 yards receiving. Gilmer's run defense is top notch but the passing defense is suspect at best.

Celina does have a passing game. QB completed 70% plus of his passes and has several targets that are very good receivers.

You don't score points like Celina without the ability to strike quick and often. The running game can score points but if you can pass the 42 points in a quarter is very much likely to a good passing game.

It would be good to point out that in most games the first team O is out by the second series of the third quarter.

Thus the points are mostly scored in the first half.

One more note worth mentioning is that Celina and Krum are from the same district and just competed for the chance to go to the semis.

While region 1 is not always strong you could say that Celina has a better district than most believe and thus played better quality teams with those results.

Parks did make some Clutch throws, running for his life! Its easy for to find away to get open, when a QB can make that kind of time, but those suspect dbs will make some plays aswell, and normally on key third downs, they will make plays when it counts, count on it, that's why the Roughriders are playing on the hard court now, instead of playing in Mesquite this week!

Seems to be some similarities in the current Gilmer and Waskom programs. Great wins last year, and was supposed to be a down year for both teams. Now, after 14 straight wins, both are back in the final four. Shows that winning attitudes are just that.. Helps to have a few great players of course.

To be quite honest, SrBuckeye, it was not the defense that made plays on two crucial plays in the game. It was simply our qb overthrowing the receiver, both which were wide open and would have easily scored. Call it nerves or whatever, he just didn't make the play which he had done all season long, whether in the pocket or scrambling.