(14-0) Gilmer Buckeyes vs (14-0) Celina Bobcats

GTownballer

Gilmer vs Celina  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I want to say that streak ended by Daingerfield was back in early 2000's maybe 2002 football season...Celina had dominated what was then 2A for years and then step up to what was then 3A and met Daingerfield round 2 or 3. There may have been another streak around 2010 but Im not sure.

Daingerfield beat Celina 21-20 in 2002 to end their winning streak. Played again in 2008 and beat them to end their 10 year home winning streak 28-20. The game was moved from Saturday in Royse City to Friday in Celina due to hurricane weather moving in. That game was the first time we realized just how special the Tigers were behind sophomore Qb Tyler Boyd. Beat them in Daingerfield the following year 27-13 in a downpour. Those are the only times we've played them.

Mentioned before how impressed I am with Celina and their program. After watching Argyle and LE last night and seeing Gilmer a couple of times this year I am going to have to take Celina in this one for 1 reason only...they beat Argyle.

Celina 35

Gilmer 24

True. And good point. But I do not think Argyle has the caliber of athletes Gilmer has... That has always been Celina's downfall against Gilmer. The Cats are disciplined, exceptionally well-coached and execute well. But Gilmer has always seemed to have kids who were just better physically, but also disciplined and well-coached... So the better athletes just won out, all else being equal. Gilmer has some D1 Studs as usual... But will the Bux play mistake free and not hand Celina that one extra turnover, penalty, blown coverage, etc that will cost them? The honest answer? Nobody knows!!! But I am confident in saying Celina will be at their best, which means if Gilmer is not playing A+ football on every play for 4 quarters, our athletes and depth may not be enough to save us. We give Celina a Pic 6, a Pic return inside the 10, another pic to turn a potential game breaking drive back into a close contest, untold unforced errors in penalties like we did tonight? Then you best believe Celina will make us pay, and pay dearly. To stay Champs, Gilmer is going to have to start playing like State Champs, and RIGHT NOW! Otherwise, we should be knocked off in the State Semi-Finals. GREAT teams are all that's left... So Gilmer must either BE great, or we will BE gone. Same is true for everyone else left standing. I'll just say that if you told me in August we'd be 14-0 and heading to the final 4? I would have not believed it... But now that we are here, I just hope Santa brings us $2 worth (that is 8 quarters) of our best football! Because that may just be enough for some more Christmas Jewelry![/quote

What makes you think Celina's and Argyle's athletes just aren't the same caliber as Gilmer's? It's a biased statement and is proving out to be false week in and week out, year in year out. Let's call it what it is. I will just leave it as biased (nicest way I can put it). No different than if Celina and Argyle claimed that they just always seem to have more intelligent players than Gilmer. It's ridiculous. I promise you Celina has a lot of athletes as does Argyle as does Gilmer. Heard it for 3 years now and especially the last 3 weeks.

I'm taking Celina by 10 in this one, they knocked off a really good Argyle team and basically controlled the game from start to finish. Gilmer people bring up that it was early in the season when they beat Argyle. But they're best win came against LE in the opening game of the season if we are looking at it from both ends of the spectrum. Say what you want about their strength of schedule, I saw a Gilmer team last year not have any trouble with teams during the regular season and they won it all. So Gilmer knocking Celina's strength of schedule is kind of hypercritical to me but this should be a great game between two stories programs

This is a game of matchups. Last year, Celina's defensive strategy doomed them from the start. They put 10 players within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. That just wasn't going to work on Blake Lynch, Kris Boyd, Nick Smith, and Chase Tate. Gilmer had WAY too much speed for that defensive strategy last year.

This year is a different story. Gilmer doesn't have the speed they had last year. The same defense that was disastrous last year might actually work this year. Gilmer is certainly not the fast strike, big play offense they were a year ago. But they can still win this game.

These are always hard to gauge, because you never know what Region 1 really has. Celina beat Argyle, so they can't be a pushover. But region I has in the past not down well against region 2. I guess we'll find out Friday!

I have a lot of respect for Casual and enjoy your posts, but I disagree. LaMarcus, Devin, DeMarco, Cambron, Kelton, Zod, Red, Desmond, Ryan, Cameron... Gilmer's "Skill Kids" are as fast and explosive as they have ever been. Nothing changed there. The only difference is two fold:

1) The QB...Zac has actually played great considering what he has been asked to do. He is the same "Type" of QB McClain was for us last year... (Not same "Calibur"... But same "Type"). In other words, he is not "Dual Threat"... And that is the part of Gilmer's offense that is missing this year. Opponents will try and get pressure on him and force him into mistakes by collapsing his protection. When Zac has been well protected, he has been just fine. But Gilmer fans are accustomed to seeing a Stump or Luke back there who got really dangerous when they pulled the ball down and ran. That's not what Zac has been asked to do... Last year, Gilmer kept defenses honest with Blake rotating in at QB and being that "Threat" with his feet. And Gilmer is sorely missing that. What it allows defenses to do is rush 5, blitz with one from different positions, and cover with 5 guys. When there is no time to go down the field, you now force the QB to escape and create... And Zac is not that guy. So offensively, Gilmer has always dictated to the defense and said "Pick your poison". This year, defenses are saying "Pressure Zac and cover for 2-3 seconds... And then mistakes will come". Gilmer fans say "Just run the ball!" But with 9 guys within 8 years of the LOS, you can slant to Gilmer's tendencies and what you get was last night. After 2 series, DeMarco started cutting back against the slant and started finding gaps, then Cambron and Kelton did the same. Remember us marching down the field and forcing ATL to start crashing their D-Ends to stop us in the 4th qtr? That was the chess match between Coach Metzel and their D-Cord. Alan got the best of him in the end, but he is not playing with the same weapons at his disposal as last year (and usual)... Not because we don't have the athletes or the speed, but because defenses are increasingly dictating to our offense, and not vice versa. This is why Jeff always played his best athlete at QB. Case in point, 2004. Our O-Line is a ton bigger and better than in 2004... But when you have Manuel (or Stump/GJ/Luke... Take your pic) that is most dangerous when the play breaks down, it all looked a LOT different to the fans... When the truth is, it is better now both on the O-Line and with our Depth and talent level of athletes at the skill positions than it was then. I would LOVE to see us come out with a "Package" like we had last year with Blake. I have no idea who that guy would be, but the exact same coaches who did it last year are there now, so I must conclude we don't have that guy. And I PROMISE you, some pretty smart guys who coached and developed every one of those All State QBs listed above feel like Zac at QB gives us our best chance to win... Otherwise, you'd see something different. And what we see offensively may be unsatisfactory to us, but it is 14-0 and has us 8 quarters away from back2back titles. So any logical person (fan, parent or casual observer) must conclude that the plan is working!

2) As some fans from different teams have alluded to, depth is what makes Gilmer so hard to beat. You have lots of kids playing 2-3 positions, but nobody plays more an 70 or so snaps. And again, this marathon through about 22 miles Gilmer has run has been brilliant strategically thus far. So if the objective for the first 22 was to put yourself in the best position to win in the last 4, mission accomplished! We should all realize that not a single thing in Gilmer has changed in 15 years now. Not philosophically, not strategically, not in terms of coaching style nor preparation. Not even in the development or natural ebb and flow of the talent level year in and year out. This same staff has been here the entire time the past decade, and have been the key guys since Jeff came in 2000. And if Jeff were still here, it would not look one bit different than what we see now. We would have just been "Politicked" better and Jeff would have us all convinced that these kids are playing way over their heads, that we shouldn't be here, that we should all be grateful that these kids are playing beyond their abilities, and that there is "Buckeye Magic" in the air. All while convincing the kids they are destined to raise the bar one notch higher than ever before for the Program. And that part is still happening... I just think since the same coaches are still doing all the things they have always done, nobody really is paying any attention to what we think from the outside looking in since Jeff is gone Quite frankly, I don't really think they care... And rightfully so! Although I do think Matt will learn after this year (no matter what happens Friday night) that although he hates the "Politics", it comes with the territory and he will have to spend SOME time doing it.

As for now, I would say this... 14-0 and the same guys who have built about the best HS program in the nation the past 15 years are still there pulling the strings. There are 8 quarters left to play to get to their goal. As Casual said earlier, in August I thought we might be a 6-5 or at best 10-2 type team this year. Yet here we are at 14-0! And those guys burning the midnight oil over on Bradford Street tonight and every night between now and next Friday have a pretty good track record against Celina since they got here. So y'all keep doubting... Keep griping.... Keep complaining.... Keep screaming instructions from the stands.... Cause at 14-0 obviously... IT AIN'T BROKE. So let's NOT FIX IT now! KEEP it up! It's working! I'll take the 15 year track record our guys have amassed and put it up against anything wearing all Celina orange every day this week and twice on Friday!

Hide and watch y'all... It'll be a war Friday. Celina is as good as we'll see for sure. They should be. They have gotten this far undefeated too! But the Champs are still standing! Nobody in that field house in Celina has ever beaten Gilmer. And nobody on Bradford Street has ever lost to Celina! Most importantly, in order to BE the Champs, Celina will have to BEAT the Champs! Carthage, LE, Center, and now Atlanta all played really well and took their shots... And came up short! Celina beat Argyle... Great. But you have not beaten Gilmer! Think hard Bobcats... How many times have you seen this movie and left disappointed? Really... Go ahead and think Gilmer is the underdog... That Gilmer this year is worse than last year and Celina this year is better than last. You may be right.... But thinking it does not get it done. We'll see you Friday when you can TRY and make your opinion official....

• Like 1

Gilmer has faced some big FAST, and physical defenses this year, and made some mistakes, and still win the game, dont let our spoiled fans, fool you, this offense is still very dangerous, what we are lacking, in the passing game, we've made up for it the running game, like one fan said, Gilmer WILL run the ball count on it, and get their yards, the big thing, and what has improved, over last year, is the defense, better than last year hands down, Celina was held to 14 last year, and they were scored that on the 2s! Celina had a descent record, last year, and pitched a few shutouts, you go back and average out the wins, and the loses, over this years, yea they are better, but I dont think this years Argyle team is last years Argyle team, and Celina stayed within 11 of them, last year, long story short, Gilmer is not far off of where they were last year, offensively, and they are better on D! The gap last year could have been 70 points easy, and some of the same kids are still playing just like with Gilmer! Gilmers front 7 will get theirs, so ask yourself has Celina turned into superman? I dont think so, yea they are better, you can look at their record, compared to last years, yes there in some improvement, but have they improved enough to make up a 70 pt spread, with a better Gilmer defense, im saying same song, same dance, but a tad closer game! Gilmer 45-21

Gilmer has faced some big FAST, and physical defenses this year, and made some mistakes, and still win the game, dont let our spoiled fans, fool you, this offense is still very dangerous, what we are lacking, in the passing game, we've made up for it the running game, like one fan said, Gilmer WILL run the ball count on it, and get their yards, the big thing, and what has improved, over last year, is the defense, better than last year hands down, Celina was held to 14 last year, and they were scored that on the 2s! Celina had a descent record, last year, and pitched a few shutouts, you go back and average out the wins, and the loses, over this years, yea they are better, but I dont think this years Argyle team is last years Argyle team, and Celina stayed within 11 of them, last year, long story short, Gilmer is not far off of where they were last year, offensively, and they are better on D! The gap last year could have been 70 points easy, and some of the same kids are still playing just like with Gilmer! Gilmers front 7 will get theirs, so ask yourself has Celina turned into superman? I dont think so, yea they are better, you can look at their record, compared to last years, yes there in some improvement, but have they improved enough to make up a 70 pt spread, with a better Gilmer defense, im saying same song, same dance, but a tad closer game! Gilmer 45-21

Sir this year's Gilmer offense is not in the same hemisphere as last year's that's just facts. As far as Celina being better they are a lot better. I don't won't to argue about it cause there is no point will just wait and see.

I'm taking Celina by 10 in this one, they knocked off a really good Argyle team and basically controlled the game from start to finish. Gilmer people bring up that it was early in the season when they beat Argyle. But they're best win came against LE in the opening game of the season if we are looking at it from both ends of the spectrum. Say what you want about their strength of schedule, I saw a Gilmer team last year not have any trouble with teams during the regular season and they won it all. So Gilmer knocking Celina's strength of schedule is kind of hypercritical to me but this should be a great game between two stories programs

Best win was Carthage.

Sir this year's Gilmer offense is not in the same hemisphere as last year's that's just facts. As far as Celina being better they are a lot better. I don't won't to argue about it cause there is no point will just wait and see.

I think from our side we would all agree fundamentally with your argument. And frankly, I prefer the role of "Underdog" we have seemingly been given the last 3 weeks due to the exact same argument you are making. And I also believe that Celina and Gilmer this year will be an all out war. I just think Gilmer fans who have been paying close attention the last 10 years or so realize that this year's team is an anomaly. We should be and were expecting to be "Rebuilding" this year. We lived through 2005 after the 2004 State Title run. We lived through the 2010 season after the 2009 Title run. We expected something similar this year after last year. Yet here we are, 14-0... and we all recognize we have yet to see the 2015 Buckeyes play their best football. Will Gilmer beat Celina Friday night? I think any honest Gilmer fan after watching this season so far would say "We have no clue!" Why? Because we have no indication that the offense wearing our uniforms will come out and give up 7 turnovers or score 70 points! We do know this... We may have the best defense we have ever had... Ever. We have the most dominant defensive player we have ever had... Ever. So this is uncharted territory for us Buckeye folk... Unsure of our offense. We are used to saying... "We may give up 50, but we may put up 70!" Not now. Against Atlanta, our OFFENSE gave up all the points Atlanta had. A pic 6, another pic returned inside our 10, and a third that our defense simply stuffed. So yes... 2015 Celina is good... Really good... And you should be as undefeated Regional Champs. You beat Argyle... You played your best game? How much upside did you leave out there? We beat LE, Carthage, Bullard, Center, Atlanta... And we know we have not even come close to playing our best. (Heck, we would have settled for "OK" in several of our games!). So be confident... Watch our Pleasant Grove film, our Bullard film, etc. But just know that the team you see on film may not even resemble the team you will see Friday night. That makes us VERY nervous! But it should make you VERY afraid!

Why does everyone say this is a rebuilding year? This team has plenty of speed and great athletes. Sure there were great players that graduated but there are great players now just like there always is. Gilmer does not rebuild they reload, at least that's the way it's been the last 15 years.

Why does everyone say this is a rebuilding year? This team has plenty of speed and great athletes. Sure there were great players that graduated but there are great players now just like there always is. Gilmer does not rebuild they reload, at least that's the way it's been the last 15 years.

i have never said rebuild or even thought of it that way. it doesn't appear this Gilmer team is as good as others but been good enough so far. i think the new coach has done a great job with a lesser team IMO. it's also my opinion that Celina will beat them and if that happens it's still been a successful season for Gilmer