(14-0) Gilmer Buckeyes vs (14-0) Celina Bobcats

GTownballer

Gilmer vs Celina  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I'm gonna say Gilmer wins this.I just don't think Celina has played anyone at all besides Argyle and that was early in the year.Maybe Argyle wasn't clicking that night.Who knows?I just don't think Celina has faced a defense close to Gilmers.Should be a tight game though.

I don't want to keep repeating myself but I think you folks are gonna be surprised.

• Like 1

I don't know how these two teams will match up, but I do know the Buckeyes will need to bring their A+ game in order to advance. The Black Flag DEFENSE will have to get stops on a regular basis, prevent 3rd and 4th down conversions, and keep Celina behind the chains. The offense will have to cut the mistakes, and execute better than they did last week. We are the UNDERDOG in this one, believe it or not. I'd like to see the Buckeyes make a statement, and come out on fire throughout this game. We ARE the defending 4A-D2 State Champions.

We are FAMILY!

I don't want to keep repeating myself but I think you folks are gonna be surprised.

I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to be surprised. We KNOW Celina has a very good team, and a complete team. The only thing that would surprise me is a blowout by either team. The Buckeyes have faced some VERY good teams this season, i.e. Liberty-Eylau, Carthage, Center, Atlanta. I could be wrong, but other than Argyle, I don't think Celina has really been tested like they will be Friday night. What will happen is anybody's guess.

It would be a serious mistake if the Buckeyes think this is the same Celina team they played last year, and this is a totally different Buckeye team from last year. I'm pretty sure the coaches have pounded that into the team's head all week.

Both the offense and defense will have to bring their A+ game in this one to win, not to mention special teams.

I know someone was asking about Celina size ect. So I figured I would post some names, numbers and measurements. Keep in mind some of these players rotate so there will be more than 11 on defense.

Defense

1 Norman Db 6' 170

3 Peterson Db 6'2 180

33 Jackson Db 5'9 180

20 Tolbert Db 5'11 180

10 Lindblad S 5'9 180

24 Torres De 5'10 190

35 Gerths Mlb 6'2 220

40 Whitney Lb 6' 210

25 Geiger De/lb 5'10 190

50 Ward Dt 5'10 220

51 Seymore Dt 5'10 220

67 Reeves Dt 5'10 240

73 Jackson Ng 6'2 325

78 Anwan Ng 6'1 280

Offense

6 Pingleton Qb 6'1 180

5 Alexander RB 5'10 210

8 Franklin RB 5'10 185

11 Young Wr 5'11 175

2 Watson Wr 5'11 170

88 Nebeker Te 6'6 200

61 Hubbarrt Lt 6'1 285

54 Buchanan LG 5'10 220

57 Armillo C 5'10 260

65 Reedy Rg 6'4 290

77 Melton RT 6'4 310

Bobcats lineup

I'm not from Gilmer, Atlanta or Celina, so I have no dog in this fight nor do most on here give a care about my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Every time you have posted in the playoffs on a Gilmer thread, you have given the main key to beating Gilmer as the opposing defenses putting pressure on Spears. Every thread and almost every post. Over and over again. Your comments dictate that you believe Spears is Gilmer's weakness, but yet he continues to win games and be a leader on and off the field. You would probably argue that Gilmer's defense has won the majority of their games, and while the Black Flag defense is great, defense by itself can't win the majority of a team's games. You could ask several teams this year about that. Even Atlanta's defense played well against the Buckeyes but yet the Rabbit offense couldn't take advantage of what their defense provided them with. Or how about PG? Seems like their offense didn't take advantage either.

Yes, QB's can make mistakes, but just because they get pressured doesn't mean they will. Nor is every interception the QB's fault, or completion percentage the QB's fault. I think Snowbird reminded you of how many passes were dropped. Don't think that's the QB's fault nor does pressure on the QB cause a drop pass. Plus a lot of teams win games completing less than 53% of their passes and then there are many teams that would love to have Zach Spears play QB for them!

Bottom line is maybe you could come up with another key how Celina could beat Gilmer, because so far putting pressure on Spears hasn't worked for any team this year! Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Well here's my opinion, beings I witnessed the PG and Atlanta games in person. If you go back and read my posts, that is not the only thing I said. I said the keys to beating Gilmer are getting pressure on Spears --->AND<--- moving the ball on offense. I've even made statements that teams needed to establish a run game to keep Gilmer's offense off the field. EVEN IN MULTIPLE POSTS I said that Spears is by no means a bad QB or any of those sorts of things. I based my analysis of watching him twice, now three times. Does he have a great mental standing? I'm sure he does.

But let me tell you this. Getting pressure on Spears HAS worked this year, for several teams, but Gilmer's defense and run game continue to bail them out. I saw it against PG, and I saw it again against Atlanta. All of Atlanta points come off interceptions

So yes, I still consider putting pressure on Spears a key to victory, AND just a little bit of offensive success would be very helpful. Like I said, I am not taking a shot at Spears. I am surely, surely not speaking near of him as some of his Gilmer faithful have been. I mean a lot of that is just ridiculous. Yes the team is winning and no he hasn't dug them in a hole that he or the defense hasn't been able to dig out of YET. I am pulling for the kid, I hope Gilmer wins it all, I really do. The going thing is to be looking up at who each person voted for. Go look ^

It's called heartburn, or it could be gastritis, one of the two. :lol:

Honestly, these two teams are about as evenly matched as they come. It will probably come down to who makes the least mistakes, and who has the better defense. I think Celina's offense is better, and I think Gilmer's DEFENSE is better, so I'm going with the obvious and say that Gilmer finds a way to win. I don't know what it is about these Buckeyes, but they are a special bunch that know how to win.

Well here's my opinion, beings I witnessed the PG and Atlanta games in person. If you go back and read my posts, that is not the only thing I said. I said the keys to beating Gilmer are getting pressure on Spears --->AND<--- moving the ball on offense. I've even made statements that teams needed to establish a run game to keep Gilmer's offense off the field. EVEN IN MULTIPLE POSTS I said that Spears is by no means a bad QB or any of those sorts of things. I based my analysis of watching him twice, now three times. Does he have a great mental standing? I'm sure he does.

But let me tell you this. Getting pressure on Spears HAS worked this year, for several teams, but Gilmer's defense and run game continue to bail them out. I saw it against PG, and I saw it again against Atlanta. All of Atlanta points come off interceptions

So yes, I still consider putting pressure on Spears a key to victory, AND just a little bit of offensive success would be very helpful. Like I said, I am not taking a shot at Spears. I am surely, surely not speaking near of him as some of his Gilmer faithful have been. I mean a lot of that is just ridiculous. Yes the team is winning and no he hasn't dug them in a hole that he or the defense hasn't been able to dig out of YET. I am pulling for the kid, I hope Gilmer wins it all, I really do. The going thing is to be looking up at who each person voted for. Go look ^

Once again you can't make a post without naming Spears as a key to their opponents victory. Same old song that NO hasn't worked. And I'm pretty sure there are many people that have seen Gilmer play more times than you this year. And in those 3 games you saw that now you are an expert of all things Buckeyes, Gilmer has still won. Imagine that!

And by the way, if you had been on this website long enough you would know that the poll is never an indication of who people think will win. When the poll includes Gilmer it's always about who people want to win!

Once again you can't make a post without naming Spears as a key to their opponents victory. Same old song that NO hasn't worked. And I'm pretty sure there are many people that have seen Gilmer play more times than you this year. And in those 3 games you saw that now you are an expert of all things Buckeyes, Gilmer has still won. Imagine that!

And by the way, if you had been on this website long enough you would know that the poll is never an indication of who people think will win. When the poll includes Gilmer it's always about who people want to win!

You're right, and we haven't done well on the polls on here all season, so it comes as no surprise that others are picking Celina. And after some of the trash talk I've seen on here this season, I can't say I blame those that actually want us to lose. I'm hoping we can continue to disappoint them, however. :lol:

Why wouldn't I name Spears? HE IS THE QB. I could name Peyton Manning if I wanted to but he's not he QB for Gilmer, Spears is. So yes, I will name Spears, as he is the starting QB for the Gilmer Buckeyes. If Rice was the starting QB for the Gilmer Buckeyes, then I may refer to him as Rice if I feel like he is someone that did the same things that Spears has.

As for it working, if you can force a QB to throw 3 or more interceptions in a game, yes it's working. This is not a fairy tale where throwing 3-4 interceptions (could have easily been 5 against Atlanta) a game has no effect on it whatsoever. I watched Gilmer's running game dig them out of a hole (after their defense made HUGE consistent stops) against PG, and I watched it again Friday night. IN PERSON. Right in front of my eyes.

THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT SPEARS PERSONALLY. If someone would read the very first post where this all started, all I said is that he is mistake prone when under pressure. Low completion percentage/interceptions are what I consider mistakes, some may argue, but it's my opinion and I will word it how I like to. I also saw some drops by his receivers, some being the receivers fault, and if I can't blame it on the QB, I guess I blame the other throws on supernatural forces that I cannot explain? This argument is really ridiculous.

And yes I have figured out that the polls mean nothing, but I have been pointed out by several Gilmer fans on who I voted for and my reasoning, so for those select few, I will point it out.

Let me reiterate, as to pacify the faint of heart.

Celina has to find a way to move the ball against Gilmer's defense. Take advantage of what they give you. We had countless opportunities over the middle of the field, but either failed to pick up the read, or just flat dropped the ball. Celina will have to find a way to move the ball against this incredibly stingy defense.

Gilmer is going to have to get penetration through that massive one-sided Celina O-line. It may just be me, but it seems like they are very big on one side, and lacking on the other. I look for Boyd to get through the line nonetheless, and disrupt some plays. Oliveras is also very good, and an underrated player in my eyes. Part of his success may be due to the attention Boyd receives, either way, I expect him to making some tackles in the backfield as well.

Gilmer needs to win the turnover battle. I expect them to do what they've done all year, and wear the other team down, and start putting Boyd in to pound the ball. I haven't heard a lot about Celina's defensive line, so Gilmer may not have as much trouble in past games as far as pass protection goes.

Celina, in order to win the turnover battle, will have to get pressure on Gilmer's QB. For reasons I cannot say, pressure on him could result in turnovers but it will never be his fault, always someone else's. Nonetheless, pressure him. Also, find some way to keep your defense fresh as to stop that big fellow (#5) that Gilmer likes to line up late in the game.

Really wish I could be at this game. I could wear a G for a day haha. Regardless, I look to see Gilmer in Houston next week for sure! We have some great football headed our way! Then another 7 months until it begins again :mellow:

Let me reiterate, as to pacify the faint of heart.

Celina has to find a way to move the ball against Gilmer's defense. Take advantage of what they give you. We had countless opportunities over the middle of the field, but either failed to pick up the read, or just flat dropped the ball. Celina will have to find a way to move the ball against this incredibly stingy defense.

Gilmer is going to have to get penetration through that massive one-sided Celina O-line. It may just be me, but it seems like they are very big on one side, and lacking on the other. I look for Boyd to get through the line nonetheless, and disrupt some plays. Oliveras is also very good, and an underrated player in my eyes. Part of his success may be due to the attention Boyd receives, either way, I expect him to making some tackles in the backfield as well.

Gilmer needs to win the turnover battle. I expect them to do what they've done all year, and wear the other team down, and start putting Boyd in to pound the ball. I haven't heard a lot about Celina's defensive line, so Gilmer may not have as much trouble in past games as far as pass protection goes.

Celina, in order to win the turnover battle, will have to get pressure on Gilmer's QB. For reasons I cannot say, pressure on him could result in turnovers but it will never be his fault, always someone else's. Nonetheless, pressure him. Also, find some way to keep your defense fresh as to stop that big fellow (#5) that Gilmer likes to line up late in the game.

Really wish I could be at this game. I could wear a G for a day haha. Regardless, I look to see Gilmer in Houston next week for sure! We have some great football headed our way! Then another 7 months until it begins again :mellow:

Please Senor Go away If you have the nice lady from GW trying to tell you are wrong then you are wrong I promise you she don't like Gilmer but she does love kids. Chill out. Go watch The Rabbits play basketball Support your team don't tear other teams down. Bring me some more queso and chips while you are at it

Why wouldn't I name Spears? HE IS THE QB. I could name Peyton Manning if I wanted to but he's not he QB for Gilmer, Spears is. So yes, I will name Spears, as he is the starting QB for the Gilmer Buckeyes. If Rice was the starting QB for the Gilmer Buckeyes, then I may refer to him as Rice if I feel like he is someone that did the same things that Spears has.

As for it working, if you can force a QB to throw 3 or more interceptions in a game, yes it's working. This is not a fairy tale where throwing 3-4 interceptions (could have easily been 5 against Atlanta) a game has no effect on it whatsoever. I watched Gilmer's running game dig them out of a hole (after their defense made HUGE consistent stops) against PG, and I watched it again Friday night. IN PERSON. Right in front of my eyes.

THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT SPEARS PERSONALLY. If someone would read the very first post where this all started, all I said is that he is mistake prone when under pressure. Low completion percentage/interceptions are what I consider mistakes, some may argue, but it's my opinion and I will word it how I like to. I also saw some drops by his receivers, some being the receivers fault, and if I can't blame it on the QB, I guess I blame the other throws on supernatural forces that I cannot explain? This argument is really ridiculous.

And yes I have figured out that the polls mean nothing, but I have been pointed out by several Gilmer fans on who I voted for and my reasoning, so for those select few, I will point it out.

I agree that Spears is definitely a better passer when he's not pressured.He is also a shorter qb and has a lot of passes batted down.Some qbs are more dangerous when under pressure but Spears isn't.He is a better pocket passer and the key to slowing Gilmers O down is pressuring the qb.I've seen them several times try to throw a screen pass and the ball gets batted down.

I know someone was asking about Celina size ect. So I figured I would post some names, numbers and measurements. Keep in mind some of these players rotate so there will be more than 11 on defense.

Defense

1 Norman Db 6' 170

3 Peterson Db 6'2 180

33 Jackson Db 5'9 180

20 Tolbert Db 5'11 180

10 Lindblad S 5'9 180

24 Torres De 5'10 190

35 Gerths Mlb 6'2 220

40 Whitney Lb 6' 210

25 Geiger De/lb 5'10 190

50 Ward Dt 5'10 220

51 Seymore Dt 5'10 220

67 Reeves Dt 5'10 240

73 Jackson Ng 6'2 325

78 Anwan Ng 6'1 280

Offense

6 Pingleton Qb 6'1 180

5 Alexander RB 5'10 210

8 Franklin RB 5'10 185

11 Young Wr 5'11 175

2 Watson Wr 5'11 170

88 Nebeker Te 6'6 200

61 Hubbarrt Lt 6'1 285

54 Buchanan LG 5'10 220

57 Armillo C 5'10 260

65 Reedy Rg 6'4 290

77 Melton RT 6'4 310

Bobcats lineup

http://celinabobcats.org/team-roster/

We have it already! lol...some of you numbers are larger lol..

You just don't get it!

I don't care how many interceptions, fumbles or mistakes a QB makes because of pressure, if the other team doesn't win then NO it didn't work! And why are you putting ALL mistakes on the QB? So yes, you are taking shots at Spears! Whether it is personal or not, it's still a shot. He is not the only player on the team that can make mistakes. No team plays a perfect game.

As far as the polls, now you are saying they mean nothing but in your last post you made a point that more people were voting for Celina so they must think they will win. Ok, which is it?

You are right about one thing. This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous to continue to take shots at one player when it takes a whole team to win or lose a game. And in Gilmer's case they just continue to win. Almost every Buckeye fan out there, and other people will tell you that this is not the greatest Gilmer team to ever hit the field, but if I had a favorite Buckeye team, this would be it. The adversity and scrappiness of this team is to be respected. I have heard more complaints about these players and coaches than I have ever heard about any Gilmer team. Their toughness reminds me of the Buckeye teams in the mid to late 50's. This team might not win pretty but they still win and you can't ask for more than that!

Please Senor Go away If you have the nice lady from GW trying to tell you are wrong then you are wrong I promise you she don't like Gilmer but she does love kids. Chill out. Go watch The Rabbits play basketball Support your team don't tear other teams down. Bring me some more queso and chips while you are at it

Lol I promise this isn't the first time we've gotten into it, nor will it be the last. As for you, your senseless babble will no longer phase me like it once would have. I know you're just a troll haha. Troll on pal.

• Like 1

You just don't get it!

I don't care how many interceptions, fumbles or mistakes a QB makes because of pressure, if the other team doesn't win then NO it didn't work! And why are you putting ALL mistakes on the QB? So yes, you are taking shots at Spears! Whether it is personal or not, it's still a shot. He is not the only player on the team that can make mistakes. No team plays a perfect game.

As far as the polls, now you are saying they mean nothing but in your last post you made a point that more people were voting for Celina so they must think they will win. Ok, which is it?

You are right about one thing. This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous to continue to take shots at one player when it takes a whole team to win or lose a game. And in Gilmer's case they just continue to win. Almost every Buckeye fan out there, and other people will tell you that this is not the greatest Gilmer team to ever hit the field, but if I had a favorite Buckeye team, this would be it. The adversity and scrappiness of this team is to be respected. I have heard more complaints about these players and coaches than I have ever heard about any Gilmer team. Their toughness reminds me of the Buckeye teams in the mid to late 50's. This team might not win pretty but they still win and you can't ask for more than that!

What I find absolutely hilarious about your post, is that you obviously didn't read all of mine. I clearly stated "I also saw some dropped by his receivers."

Yes, I made the comment about the polls, and if I really have to, I will go back to 2 weeks ago and find the post where Buckeye fans called me out for picking someone other than them to win a game, and how that means everything as to who I really think will win. If you really want me to find that, I will, but I would prefer you take my word for it. So yes I did make the comment to more Buckeye fans, beings they're the ones who called me out on it, that I voted for Gilmer to win, so that must obviously mean I think they will win.

You continue to take it as a shot, that's fine. I am truly not worried about your opinion alone, as you and Snowbird seem to be the only people that have a problem with it. Snowbird being someone who has coached him personally, so I can understand him being biased, to an extent.

But I have seen in person what this team does, in 3 games. You are arguing with me over it, and you've seen them in how many? I am by no means a Buckeye expert, but I've already had multiple Buckeye fans send me messages stating that they understand where I am coming from, and that I will continue to take fire from people that are too sensitive to hear the truth.

Yes, the TEAM plays great, and the TEAM manages to keep winning. The TEAM pulls what mistakes any player is making through it, so it's hard for me to say that the TEAM is doing anything wrong, or to hinder their winning, because the TEAM is winning.

You seem to be taking it as a personal shot at Spears. I'm sure he's a great kid (have no idea, do not know him personally, which makes me even that much more unbiased). I'm sure he makes great grades, and has a bright future ahead of him. I never said pull him, I never said kick him off the team. I never said that every mistake that has been made was his fault. I never said any of those things, you're putting words in my mouth. I simply said this - He is mistake prone when under pressure, whether it be incompletions or interceptions. That's all I said. If you want to take it as me slandering him, that's on you, but it's definitely the opposite of what I'm doing. I am an unbiased analysis that doesn't sugar coat what I think they need to work on or what other teams will need to do to take advantage of Gilmer in whatever way they can, and that's it. I am pulling for Gilmer to go the distance, but I will not make up some alternate reality where throwing multiple interceptions in a game is some sort of new acceptable standard, and I cannot believe that they can continue to keep digging themselves out of that hole, not matter how good they are as a TEAM.

So that being said, stop acting like I'm condemning him from ever playing football again. All I did was make, what I believe to be, an accurate analysis on what I have seen from him in multiple games. Sorry if it breaks hearts, dashes hopes and dreams, or whatever it's doing. It's really not a big deal.