Waskom vs Idalou at Mineral Wells Friday at 7:30

Wild74

Waskom vs Idalou at Mineral Wells Friday at 7:30  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Idalou's Grind It Out Offense Vs Waskom's Defense who takes it

I think the issue will be if Waskom can stop 4 yards at a time behind the push of Idalou's big linemen, not team speed and the big play. If Waskom can't stop 4 yard gains they're in for a long night.

On the other side of the coin, I don't know how good Idalou's defense is either.

Think the waskom team speed theory is being blown way out of per portion. I know, "wait till you see it!" Save your breathe. This will be a close game into the 4th quarter and whoever wins will have earned it and the right to move on.

I think the issue will be if Waskom can stop 4 yards at a time behind the push of Idalou's big linemen, not team speed and the big play. If Waskom can't stop 4 yard gains they're in for a long night.

On the other side of the coin, I don't know how good Idalou's defense is either.

• Like 2

Think the waskom team speed theory is being blown way out of per portion. I know, "wait till you see it!" Save your breathe. This will be a close game into the 4th quarter and whoever wins will have earned it and the right to move on.

I also believe this will be a close game, but the team speed is not a theory.....it's the truth!

As Waskom fans we all like to talk about speed and especially how fast Chan is so I did a little comparison of Chan and #25 for Idalou. Sorry I don't know his name. I looked thru game film on hudl until I found a few similar runs where both backs are wide open and running a straight line. On these runs both backs had just broke thru tacklers and were kicking it into gear. I didn't not factor in the last 10-20 yards as they were coasting into the end zone. I timed them both for 30 yards and multiple times to get an average. Chan covered 30 yards in 3.05 seconds and #25 ran it in 3.11. It really surprised me that #25 is that fast but without a doubt Chan's ability to break tackles far out weighs #25.

Thought my Waskomites would like to know the type of speed we will be facing from their tailback. Watching our team speed on D with multiple Allstate players face their power run game with a speedster in the backfield is going to make for a great night of football.

Hurry up Friday!

That is a statistically dead heat, no way you can be that precise. Not to mention the speed of the playbacks might not be identical. #25 is plenty fast but I've seen #15 up close and he is fast too, and elusive, and strong. And his performance at linebacker reminds me a lot of #50 on the cowboys last night. All over the field and laying wood.

I have seen Waskom in person twice last year and once this year. In my opinion they are "almost" the team they were last year, not quite - but still darn good. I have only seen videos of Idalou and they look very good in a very different way. Their lines both look excellent and I mean excellent. These were highlights so those always tend to be their best plays and not the ones where there was poor blocking. I am partial to kind of offense they run and properly executed with a good offensive line it is very hard to stop. It will come down to whether or not they can block Waskom's quick defense and whether or not they can handle Waskom's explosive athletes on the other side of the ball. This game is likely to be a one-score difference game, Waskom.

• Like 1

This is from The Marshall News Messenger

Waskom looks to stop Idalou running attack

By Nathan Hague
Dec. 9, 2015 at 4 a.m.

Friday night will see a long winning streak come to an end in the state semifinals when Waskom takes on Idalou. The Waskom Wildcats hold an overall record of 14-0 and have won their last 29 games dating back to the first game of the 2014 season. The Idalou Wildcats dropped the first game of this season and have since won the last 13 games.

Idalou is hoping to accomplish what Waskom did last year by winning the 15 straight on its way to a state championship while Waskom is hoping to follow up its first ever state championship by winning back-to-back titles.

Idalou runs an I-formation offense that likes to run the ball. Last week saw the Idalou defeat Henrietta in a 27-7 final. The Wildcats threw only one pass, which fell incomplete and they rushed for 347 yards and four touchdowns on 49 attempts.

Brandt Schilling had 30 carries for 238 yards and one touchdown. Ty Nichols had nine carries for 87 yards and two touchdowns.

Quarterback Zack Kirkpatrick rushed nine times for 21 yards and a touchdown.

Waskom will counter Idalou with Chan Amie, who leads the team in tackles with 176, 43 of which were behind the line of scrimmage. He also has eight sacks on the year, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and three broken up passes.

Mike Reason has 162 tackles, 32 tackles for a loss, four sacks, six forced fumbles and eight broken up passes. Keileon Johnson has 119 tackles, seven sacks one interception, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

"No. 25 (Schilling) and No. 35 (Nichols), both those guys are good football players," Waskom head coach Whitney Keeling said. "They're going to try to hand it to them pretty much on every down and we've got to do our best to stop them. It's smash-mouth football. They'll run three or four plays and we've got to stop them. If we can't, it's going to be a long night. We've got to go in with a good game plan and play our best assignment football."

Friday's game is slated to kick off at 7:30 p.m. from Ram Stadium in Mineral Wells. The winner will advance to the 3A Division II state championship game against either Franklin or East Bernard.

The state championship game will be held at the Houston Texans' NRG Stadium on Thursday, Dec. 17, at 8 p.m.

This was a nice wright up in the Marshall paper on both teams.....sounds like a great game coming Friday in Mineral Wells....it will take a full game from everybody so I'm praying for no injuries for both teams. Hoping the Waskom Wildcats bring the semi-final trophy back to East Texas and on to Houston next week.

Can't wait for some great football Friday night. BRANT SCHILLING has my attention for sure with his impressive numbers. Waskom knows who is getting the ball, they just have to play assignment football every snap on defense and stop the 4-5 yards per carry. I think if they get key stops they will win. Idalou's defense is stout, but they have not had to stop the flexbone. That offense is so dang hard to stop (obviously look at Waskoms success) every play 1 of the 4 ball carries could be taking it to the house. Looking for a great game this week. I don't care if waskom wins by 1 point, it's all about who is playing the next week.

Waskom-28

Idalou-17

Guest Onmyway

Im pulling for ef to win ! You figured out how to dribble between your legs yet? Lol

back in the day I could, but for now enjoy your success. GO IDALOU!!!!

I do know the Idalou team of 2010 showed us things we hadn't seen on film. They are well coached and defensively they are very good at assignment football. I have no idea if the coach there now is the one that was with Taylor or not. If I was betting money, I would pick Waskom to move on and play EB, but I was wrong this week 5 years ago.

I do know the Idalou team of 2010 showed us things we hadn't seen on film. They are well coached and defensively they are very good at assignment football. I have no idea if the coach there now is the one that was with Taylor or not. If I was betting money, I would pick Waskom to move on and play EB, but I was wrong this week 5 years ago.

what was the score of that game 5 years ago coach?

FYI! The head coach now is Taylor's son-in-law. Many of the assistants are still there too. They will be ready!!!

• Like 1

Can't wait for some great football Friday night. BRANT SCHILLING has my attention for sure with his impressive numbers. Waskom knows who is getting the ball, they just have to play assignment football every snap on defense and stop the 4-5 yards per carry. I think if they get key stops they will win. Idalou's defense is stout, but they have not had to stop the flexbone. That offense is so dang hard to stop (obviously look at Waskoms success) every play 1 of the 4 ball carries could be taking it to the house. Looking for a great game this week. I don't care if waskom wins by 1 point, it's all about who is playing the next week.

Waskom-28

Idalou-17

Just a thought from the semi finals in 2010. We heard the same thing from the Paul Pewitt folks back then. Any 1 of 4 backs could get the ball. I don't remember what kind of offense they ran. I think they had 4 backs with at least a 1000 yards each. They lost 17-0. Not sure we're as good defensively as we were then but close. Still picking Idalou by 7.