North Carolina/Ohio State vs. Western Kentucky/Oklahoma @ Holiday Bowl

Round 2: December 27:

Bowling Green/Michigan State vs. Iowa/Houston @Liberty Bowl

Stanford/TCU vs. Alabama/San Diego State @ Sun Bowl

January 3: Semi-Finals

Independence Bowl winner vs. Holiday Bowl winner @ Orange Bowl

Liberty Bowl winner vs. Sun Bowl winner @ Cotton Bowl

January 11: National Championship Game @ Fiesta Bowl

Too many games IMO.... I think 8 teams is plenty! 12 at the very most with the top 4 getting Bye's

If ALL ten conference champions are not represented, it's not a playoff.....anyway, what do you have against having extra games on to watch???? :P

Because a 9-3 mid major champion that loss to all 3 power 5 opponents it's faced, has no business in a playoff. I am HIGHLY against a playoff of this format. If 4 isn't enough, then go 8 chosen the same way... But mid majors and 16 teams is too much IMO.

Because a 9-3 mid major champion that loss to all 3 power 5 opponents it's faced, has no business in a playoff. I am HIGHLY against a playoff of this format. If 4 isn't enough, then go 8 chosen the same way... But mid majors and 16 teams is too much IMO.

AGAIN, if all conference champions are not represented, it is NOT A PLAYOFF......no matter what the talking heads on ESPN and Fox have told you to believe...... :P

Yea this is way too watered down IMO. 8 is a very max unless you start paying the players.

I like 4 teams. If you changed it, 8 teams would be the only conclusion. Byes cause problems b/c you begin to reengage with the #1 & #2 team bias. You open a can of worms that might be perceived bias towards certain teams over others. 16 is too much. Western Kentucky in playoff just feels like too much just b/c they won the toilet bowl conference. There is a middle ground.

4 team playoff worked this year and was probably perfect. Last year 6-8 was the better number. The number is fluid year to year. That is the problem.

I like 8-teams with the 5 power conferences as well as 3 at-large spots. That way, if a mid-major went undefeated, they'd very likely be in.

I've also heard the idea of there being 4 20-team conferences, each with 4 divisions, a semifinal game, and a final game. The winners would play in a playoff (which, when you think about it, actually starts when the conference semi-final games start). It's not a BAD idea, but we'd lose somewhere around 50 teams which would all but kill their football programs.

I like 8-teams with the 5 power conferences as well as 3 at-large spots. That way, if a mid-major went undefeated, they'd very likely be in.

I've also heard the idea of there being 4 20-team conferences, each with 4 divisions, a semifinal game, and a final game. The winners would play in a playoff (which, when you think about it, actually starts when the conference semi-final games start). It's not a BAD idea, but we'd lose somewhere around 50 teams which would all but kill their football programs.

That's a very good idea. I know that a "true playoff" that the OP talks about is not very practical because there are simply too many teams with too large of talent gaps in the current system. 122 teams in conferences that vary in size. There isn't anything "fair" at all about a mid major who can win the conference without a power 5 win getting in over a 1 loss power 5 team who just happened to lose a divisional game and not win its division outright...

The ONLY way this system even remotely works will be cutting away the mid majors into a seperate division and just adding a even number of power 5 teams to 4 super conferences. Make it 4 16 team conferences that have two divisional champs and conference championships. The conference champs then have a 4 team playoff. Everyone plays 7 conference games (everyone in their division) and 5 OOC games. That way nobody can say they got the easy half of the cross division games. Keep the 5 OOC games and allow cross division games but they do not count toward the records.

That's a very good idea. I know that a "true playoff" that the OP talks about is not very practical because there are simply too many teams with too large of talent gaps in the current system. 122 teams in conferences that vary in size. There isn't anything "fair" at all about a mid major who can win the conference without a power 5 win getting in over a 1 loss power 5 team who just happened to lose a divisional game and not win its division outright...

The ONLY way this system even remotely works will be cutting away the mid majors into a seperate division and just adding a even number of power 5 teams to 4 super conferences. Make it 4 16 team conferences that have two divisional champs and conference championships. The conference champs then have a 4 team playoff. Everyone plays 7 conference games (everyone in their division) and 5 OOC games. That way nobody can say they got the easy half of the cross division games. Keep the 5 OOC games and allow cross division games but they do not count toward the records.

Either that, or have 20-team conferences. Four divisions, 5 teams each. The schedule would be playing the 4 teams in your division, plus all 5 teams of another division. The other division will be constant for each team. So everyone in the SEC West would play all teams in the SEC North in a given year, the SEC South the next year, etc. That way, everyone plays one another and the exact same conference schedule. That'd leave 2 or 3 OOC games which don't affect making the playoffs whatsoever.

It is fun to think about, but it would never work. Money is the front factor to all of this. Teams are not going to relocate conferences due to money from the network stations : SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, Longhorn.

It will be very hard to change from just the 4 game we have now. The sponsors and bowl names pay a stupid amount to the NCAA. It's not about being fair. It's about what is most profitable.

The NCAA is happy as long as the OU's, Ohio States, Alabamas, and USC's are winning titles.

"Fair" does not exist.......when you stop trying to find some non-existent "fair" and put together a LOGICAL playoff where every conference champion is included, you'll have a playoff......until then, you get the snake oil BS you have been brainwashed to accept......:p

Round 1: December 19

1. Clemson vs. 16. Arkansas State @ Camelia Bowl

8. Notre Dame vs. 9. Florida State @ Boca Rotan Bowl

7. Ohio State vs. 10. North Carolina @ Cure Bowl

4. Oklahoma vs. 13. Western Kentucky @ Las Vegas Bowl

Round 1: December 20

3. Michigan State vs. 14. Bowling Green @ New Mexico Bowl

5. Iowa vs. 12. Houston @ New Orleans Bowl

6. Stanford vs. 11. TCU @ Miami Beach Bowl

2. Alabama vs. 15. San Diego State @ Go Daddy Bowl

Round 2: December 26:

Clemson/Arkansas State vs. Florida State/Notre Dame @ Independence Bowl

North Carolina/Ohio State vs. Western Kentucky/Oklahoma @ Holiday Bowl

Round 2: December 27:

Bowling Green/Michigan State vs. Iowa/Houston @Liberty Bowl

Stanford/TCU vs. Alabama/San Diego State @ Sun Bowl

January 3: Semi-Finals

Independence Bowl winner vs. Holiday Bowl winner @ Orange Bowl

Liberty Bowl winner vs. Sun Bowl winner @ Cotton Bowl

January 11: National Championship Game @ Fiesta Bowl

Looks good. Sixteen teams is the perfect number, Leave any conference champion out and it's back to an invitational farce ....

Looks good. Sixteen teams is the perfect number, Leave any conference champion out and it's back to an invitational farce ....

At least you haven't been brainwashed by the talking heads on ESPN or FoxSports yet......shame you're not as logical in the political forum......:p

"Fair" does not exist.......when you stop trying to find some non-existent "fair" and put together a LOGICAL playoff where every conference champion is included, you'll have a playoff......until then, you get the snake oil BS you have been brainwashed to accept......:p

If fair doesn't exist then who cares if the sunbelt champ gets a shot?

If fair doesn't exist then who cares if the sunbelt champ gets a shot?

Fair has nothing to do with wanting to see a REAL playoff........the only REAL playoff includes ALL conference champions.......without that, you don't have a TRUE champion any more than you did when the AP/UPI or the BCS chose one......the system you have been conditioned to accept is no different than those in the past and the "champion" no more legitimate........