State Championships - Houston

BigRedFan

State Championship Schedule- All games at NRG Stadium

Thursday Dec 17th

2a D1- 10am- Refugio(13-2) vs Canadian(15-0)

2a D2- 1pm- Bremond(15-0) vs Albany(14-1)

3a D1- 5pm- Cameron Yoe(14-1) vs Brock(15-0)

3a D2- 8pm- Franklin(15-0) vs Waskom(15-0)

Friday Dec 18th

4a D1- 12pm- Waco La Vega(15-0) vs Argyle(14-1)

4a D2- 4pm- West Orange-Stark(14-1) vs Celina(15-0)

5a D1- 8pm- Richmond George Ranch(15-0) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge(15-0)

Saturday Dec 19th

5a D2- 12pm- Cedar Park(15-0) vs Frisco Lone Star(14-1)

6a D1- 4pm- Galena Park North Shore(12-3) vs Austin Westlake(14-1)

6a D2- 8pm- Katy(15-0) vs Austin Lake Travis(15-0)

Houston is the worst place this can be held. I just moved to the Woodlands College park and hate it.

Didn't know you were over there now. Not too far from where I am.

College Park isn't too bad, just all of that construction has things super congested.

I haven't been to NRG yet...going Saturday (grandson has basketball game Friday and mid-terms Thursday or we'd be going all three days)...but I feel it cannot match the atmosphere of AT&T Cowboy Stadium (went there for three years)...but I'm sure those kids will love it nonetheless.

I have spent half of my life in Houston and half in Dallas. Nothing amuses me more of Dallas people looking down their noses at Houston.

Is Houston the greatest place in the world? Hardly, but like most places it has its good and bad points. But I do know one thing for certain. Dallas has NO room to be snooty about ANY place. Dallas folks love to rag on Houston about traffic and humidity for starters. I hate to break it to you but the Dallas traffic stinks JUST as much as Houston does. And when it comes to weather, you bet Dallas has Houston beat all to heck. In Houston when the humidity is 90% in Dallas it is usually all the way down to 80%. But they make up for it by being 10 degrees hotter. Dallas is not even like living in Texas anymore, you could just as easily be in St Louis or Kansas City.

To be honest ALL big cities are a terminal pain in the butt. For my money the ONLY big city in the entire state that has room to wiggle on the paininthebutt factor is Fort Worth and San Antonio. But Houston has ONE thing that Dallas will never have and that is "Ice Houses". As long as Houston still has an Ice House or two it will be always be better than Dallas IMO.

One thing I really like about Houston is that you can be in East Texas, the Coast, San Antonio, or Austin in a little over an hour and a half. PLUS you NEVER have to get on I-35 to go anyplace.

And lastly to talk about Dallas being a plus because of Jerryworld.....you can just as easily give Fort Worth the credit for that. AT&T is not even in the same county as Dallas.

I do not know if RNG is as good as AT&T for the state title games. NOBODY does yet. I do know that giving the DFW teams a homefield advantage every year is hardly equitable. By the time week 16 rolls around some of the DFW teams have played at ATT three and four times......or more. IMO the state title game needs to rotate between ATT, Houston, and San Antonio. And if that upsets some Dallas folks because they might have to go to Houston every three years, well that is just too bad. Life is full of hardship.

• Like 6

For me, it's not that the games are in Houston, but it's NRG vs AT&T. I know NRG isn't that old, but having been to the championship weekends at AT&T and having attended other games at NRG, there's simply no comparison. It will still be good because it's Texas HS Football as good as it gets.

I have never been at a game at NRG. What about ATT makes it so much better? Not trying to be combative, just curious. As far as I am concerned, all places that charge $10 for a Coca Cola are pretty much the same LOL.

I do not know what it is about ATT but something just bothers me about the place. It is like your attention is being drawn away from the field. It is almost like they WANT you to watch the jumbotron and not the field. I cannot put my finger on it but just IMO something about ATT makes it "difficult" to watch a game there.