4A Division 1 State of Texas Football Championship Argyle Eagles (14-1) vs. Waco La Vega (15-0)

ScotlandtheBrave

Argyle Eagles of Region 2 vs. Waco La Vega Pirates of Region 4  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2015 State Championship of Texas in Class 4A Division 1?

• Argyle Eagles (14-1)
    • Waco La Vega Pirates (15-0)

Guess what??? There is a filmclip of the entire LV/Carthage game on the "other"(Texas Down Low) forum for any of those that wish to watch it. It's on the Argyle/La Vega thread......naturally. After watching the game, I came away with some conclusions. Number One.....Blisset had a TERRIBLE game. Secondly, he's not very fleet of foot. All of LV's skill players ARE fleet of foot and basically outran the DAWGS players to the corners and seams. Also got some easy plays from a suspect DAWGS secondary. Argyle is bigger on the lines than LV. Argyle is much faster than Carthage. LV should pose problems in space one on one IF help does not arrive quickly. Shut down LV's ability to run the corners and you've shut down half their offense. Argyle has a great set of linebackers. The LV qb is not that accurate. Blisset was anything but accurate in this game. Need I go on, folks. Go watch it for yourself. Argyle wins this one in a shocker to everyone but North Texas fans that have seen Argyle play a gauntlet thru the playoffs this season. I believe LE is better than LV. Wylie could possibly give LV all it could handle. And certainly Kennedale could. It could turn out to be a very offensive shootout style affair, or it could turn out to be a defensive battle. Obviously, LV got so far ahead in this game that they really didn't need to pass very much in the 2nd half. And Carthage was forced to pass on just about every down, so that was somewhat easier for LV to defend.

Its also on YouTube under kgas radio.

Some of their backs will purposely sit back and wait for a hole to open up before taking off because they feel so confident in their speed superiority. Well if they try that stuff too much with Argyle, some of these backs are gonna get clocked but good. Argyle is quite a bit faster than most teams are used to seeing. They are football quick and have great closing speed all over the field. Just pay attention to how many different Argyle defenders arrive on any given play to make the tackle. Its rarely just one or two. In the secondary, that's a little different......and probably Argyle's most suspect area of a great defense. The Eagles do have a couple of Dbacks with quite a few interceptions......especially Dylan Sadler and Gage Campbell. Both are great athletes with all kinds of speed. Campbell is only a soph and has led the team in tackles in some games this season.

From what I have heard, La Vega runs the ball about twice as much as they pass it.....or at least gains about twice more yards rushing than passing. Maybe they throw it about as much, but don't get the completions that add up to the yards. But with the number of speedy ball carriers they have, it makes sense that they prefer to make their main attack running the football. I did notice their qb Williams likes to launch it on long strikes, but his accuracy suffers when he does. I think they are much more effective with their passing game getting the ball to their skill speedsters on short passes and letting them try to make a play in the open field one on one in space. Argyle does this as well, but also works timing patterns because Ledford's accuracy is somewhere north of 70%. Williams for LV is nowhere near that completion percentage.

I'm gonna assume Argyle will start out with Sweatt running the ball to test their defensive front, with Ledford throwing short passes in space to move the chains. As the game progresses, I expect to see some longer attempts to Estrada and McCook and timing patterns to Chalk and Estrada. McCook is the X factor.....he's able to stop and go and change directions so quickly. He's a very dangerous runner in the open field. Sweatt runs the 200 meter at Argyle, and surprises most defenses with his speed for a RB his size(5-10, 205). Drew Estrada(6-0, 186) is probably the fastest Argyle back on the field. Dane Ledford at qb(6-0, 180) is also very quick with his feet and has tons of speed. He made All-State Honorable Mention last year at safety as a soph in his first varsity season. JC Chalk (6-4, 230), a Clemson commit at TE, has great hands and is also a starter on the Argyle basketball team when football ends. He's Gene Stallings grandson and has mucho athletic ability.

I'm gonna assume Argyle will start out with Sweatt running the ball to test their defensive front, with Ledford throwing short passes in space to move the chains. As the game progresses, I expect to see some longer attempts to Estrada and McCook and timing patterns to Chalk and Estrada. McCook is the X factor.....he's able to stop and go and change directions so quickly. He's a very dangerous runner in the open field. Sweatt runs the 200 meter at Argyle, and surprises most defenses with his speed for a RB his size(5-10, 205). Drew Estrada(6-0, 186) is probably the fastest Argyle back on the field. Dane Ledford at qb(6-0, 180) is also very quick with his feet and has tons of speed. He made All-State Honorable Mention last year at safety as a soph in his first varsity season. JC Chalk (6-4, 230), a Clemson commit at TE, has great hands and is also a starter on the Argyle basketball team when football ends. He's Gene Stallings grandson and has mucho athletic ability.

Okay.

Before last night I would have taken Argyle...but after the way La Vega wood shedded Carthage I am leaning towards the Pirates. I wish I could make it to NRG Friday. Having to work for a living really stinks sometimes :( Guess I should have been born rich instead of good looking lol.

+1 Gotta go with La Vega after the way they put Carthage away ...

From what I have heard, La Vega runs the ball about twice as much as they pass it.....or at least gains about twice more yards rushing than passing. Maybe they throw it about as much, but don't get the completions that add up to the yards. But with the number of speedy ball carriers they have, it makes sense that they prefer to make their main attack running the football. I did notice their qb Williams likes to launch it on long strikes, but his accuracy suffers when he does. I think they are much more effective with their passing game getting the ball to their skill speedsters on short passes and letting them try to make a play in the open field one on one in space. Argyle does this as well, but also works timing patterns because Ledford's accuracy is somewhere north of 70%. Williams for LV is nowhere near that completion percentage.

I found where LV QB has 2100 yds. and 21 TD's and Argyle QB has thrown 18 TD's. and 70% completion rate. Pretty much a toss up.

Argyle does not usually make that many big strikes in their offense, but does just about everything very well in the execution dept. They have a very topnotch kicking game and a very topnotch defense to go with their very balanced effective offense. I would say overall they are so good at all phases of the game that it is just very difficult to beat them. The discipline is usually at a very high level, but if they have a run of unforced errors or stupid penalties it can hurt them . They kind of depend on a very disciplined game plan to keep all phases working in their favor.

Argyle does not usually make that many big strikes in their offense, but does just about everything very well in the execution dept. They have a very topnotch kicking game and a very topnotch defense to go with their very balanced effective offense. I would say overall they are so good at all phases of the game that it is just very difficult to beat them. The discipline is usually at a very high level, but if they have a run of unforced errors or stupid penalties it can hurt them . They kind of depend on a very disciplined game plan to keep all phases working in their favor.

I agree Argyle is a well coached and disciplined.

Why do I suddenly think Spacegolfer is your Dad?........

I don't remember posting that Ledford was a "better" qb than Williams, Dean. You must be reading something into my posts. Just different offenses that work differently. I think total yds of offense for the season goes to LV, but most points scored this season goes to Argyle. Argyle is very efficient in scoring and scores from short fields due to the kicking game and defense. 21 TD's passing by Williams is commendable......how many rushing? MaxPreps doesn't have any stats listed for LV on the season. Where are you finding this information?

But I will gladly tee it up with you and encourage you to bring your best game to the course with you. I just happen to be a very avid golfer for my age.....want to try me on for a hundred?

Let me tell you my handicap first... I work & seldom do anything else like play golf, or Fish... Even though I bought & paid off a Tracker boat that I haven't pulled out of my back yard in over FIVE years! Some handicap, huh? Btw, no thanks on the C-note!😆
  • Like 1

And I own a roofing company and climb steep roofs to measure them at my age.....all the time. I'm 5-10, 165 and in excellent condition. I work every day. Last time I golfed was 2 months ago......shot a 82. Before that it was about 6 weeks.....shot an even 80. I've been golfing since I was 14. But I don't golf near as much as I would like to......kind of like you and your Bass Tracker boat.

And I own a roofing company and climb steep roofs to measure them at my age.....all the time. I'm 5-10, 165 and in excellent condition. I work every day. Last time I golfed was 2 months ago......shot a 82. Before that it was about 6 weeks.....shot an even 80. I've been golfing since I was 14. But I don't golf near as much as I would like to......kind of like you and your Bass Tracker boat.

+1