2015 Katy: The best defense ever?

Eagleborn

Talking to some East Texas folks is like talking to a wall...

When has Longview taken a step back lately following graduation? Please tell me. We're a threat to do something every single year. Stop making excuses for Ennis....you conveniently forget that they're not far off from posting 2 and 3 win seasons under Alvarez's amazing system.

As for the rest of your post, not even worth replying to. Questioning my knowledge toward recruiting, when I know twice as much about football than any JT fan could ever tell me.

And refrencing boxing, Mayweather is great and may be undefeated. But there's a reason why Ali, Tyson and many others are considered better. Same thing goes for Dfield...all I have to say.

Great defense in 1983. But what size - biggest man was 210 lbs maximum.

Willie Everete and Coach Settle both weight more than 210 . Willie was near 300 if memory has not failed me. I believe there was a couple more than just those two.

Great defense in 1983. But what size - biggest man was 210 lbs maximum.

Willie Everete and Coach Settle both weight more than 210 . Willie was near 300 if memory has not failed me. I believe there was a couple more than just those two.

Talking to some East Texas folks is like talking to a wall...

When has Longview taken a step back lately following graduation? Please tell me. We're a threat to do something every single year. Stop making excuses for Ennis....you conveniently forget that they're not far off from posting 2 and 3 win seasons under Alvarez's amazing system.

As for the rest of your post, not even worth replying to. Questioning my knowledge toward recruiting, when I know twice as much about football than any JT fan could ever tell me.

And refrencing boxing, Mayweather is great and may be undefeated. But there's a reason why Ali, Tyson and many others are considered better. Same thing goes for Dfield...all I have to say.

No, talking to a Lobo fan who thinks he knows it all is like talking to a wall.

Longview took a step back last yr. They were zero threat to do anything last yr.

As far as Ennis goes, why would I want to make excuses for them. I could care less about Ennis, but you talk about how today's offense are so much better and don't compare, but yet, Ennis won state, and your team (who runs that Old school veer more than half of the time) is one of the best teams in the state. And again, lets not forget West Monroe and Byrd beat Longview and other Texas teams with the old school method.

It seems to me, you can't take the fact that I have challenged all of your ignorant remarks, so now you try to talk down to me. You claim you know more about football than me, but your facts are wrong. You made a blanket statement about Louisiana football but you don't live there and have no idea what your talking about.

Then you claim stats get kids Div.1 offers....but again you are wrong. Rodney Bendy, a WR from John Tyler had 28 catches for 361 yds his junior yr in 2013. Last yr Bendy had 27 catches for 457 yards. He was 4th in receptions and receiving yards at JT last yr. Guess what, he had 2 D1 offers. Plays at a D1 school now. Why, because he is 6'5 with good hands. I can give you hundred more examples of kids with great stats, who don't get div.1 offers. But yet, you claim a receiver with low stats can't go Div.1.

The problem you have with me is that I can back my arguments with facts and figures....but your arguments are only based on how you feel or what you think.

Oh yea....go look up Sugar Ray Robinson in terms of boxing. Many boxing experts consider him the best of all time and he is not a heavyweight.

one last thing, Im not saying Katy isn't the best Def of all time. Im just saying, you guys need to stop dismissing DF because they played in the 80s and they are a small school.

• Like 1

The offensive line was huge, but not defense.

Yeah that statement lost me also WOW

How did that statement lose you? So far I haven't read one post that supports Katy as best defense of all time, that gave facts or stats to back up their argument.

You think Katy's SOS was tougher than Daingerfield's, then toss out facts to prove it.

After 32 yrs my memory ain't what it used to be but here goes.

First off, minus the 170 lb center, the o-line averaged better than 270 and could move.

The '83 secondary: Eric Everett-Texas Tech, Mark Austin-Kansas St., Rodney Mims and Johnie Hendrix-SFA.

others: Carlton Walker-SFA, David Whitmore played mostly offense that year but played at SFA and ended up with a Super Bowl ring with the NY Giants. Willie Everett-Baylor. Most people think Thomas Everett (Baylor All-American, All-pro Dallas Cowboys, 2 Super Bowl rings) played on that team but he graduated the year before from a 10-1-1 team. Danny Mitchell, assistant coach at Tatum, was a state champion long jumper and went to Lamar on a track scholarship

Several played JC ball or at smaller schools.

I'm sure I've forgotten some

Smoaky made a high-light video of the 83-84-85 teams and I think it had the entire '83 state championship game when we won 42-0.

After 32 yrs my memory ain't what it used to be but here goes.

First off, minus the 170 lb center, the o-line averaged better than 270 and could move.

The '83 secondary: Eric Everett-Texas Tech, Mark Austin-Kansas St., Rodney Mims and Johnie Hendrix-SFA.

others: Carlton Walker-SFA, David Whitmore played mostly offense that year but played at SFA and ended up with a Super Bowl ring with the NY Giants. Willie Everett-Baylor. Most people think Thomas Everett (Baylor All-American, All-pro Dallas Cowboys, 2 Super Bowl rings) played on that team but he graduated the year before from a 10-1-1 team. Danny Mitchell, assistant coach at Tatum, was a state champion long jumper and went to Lamar on a track scholarship

Several played JC ball or at smaller schools.

I'm sure I've forgotten some

Smoaky made a high-light video of the 83-84-85 teams and I think it had the entire '83 state championship game when we won 42-0.

Was Doug Pitman the QB and went on to play baseball in college? When did Steve Stutsman come through?

From the 1983 starting 11 on defense, name the 3 that went to the NFL and the other 3 who could have gone to the NFL.

The three names that went to the NFL were Everett, Mims, and Whitmore. The three that I wad told could have went were Edmond, Hendrix, and Mark Austin or Rodney Mims and when I watched them play in high school I beleive it. A lot of people say Willie Everett could have went pro but I don't know the circumstances. I remember hearing that Hendrix got hurt. Lots of hearsay I know but maybe someone that knows them better can elaborate.

The three names that went to the NFL were Everett, Mims, and Whitmore. The three that I wad told could have went were Edmond, Hendrix, and Mark Austin or Rodney Mims and when I watched them play in high school I beleive it. A lot of people say Willie Everett could have went pro but I don't know the circumstances. I remember hearing that Hendrix got hurt. Lots of hearsay I know but maybe someone that knows them better can elaborate.

Where did Eric Everett and Mims play in the NFL ? Whitmore was not on defense that year. Edmond and Hendrix were great guys at SFA, but both were basically role players on the football team.

David Whitmore went to San Fransisco and was the player included with the trade of Joe Montana to Kansas City. Retired there and moved into law enforcement.

Eric Everett was with Philadelphia. Was also an academic All American at Tech and set the vertical leap record.

Greg Evans played in the NFL for Buffalo.

Steve Stutsman was on the 84 team. His greatest play may have been the fake punt pass in Texas stadium to seal the game against Vernon. Would have been in the NFL if he had went to a passing school. Parade All American.

No, talking to a Lobo fan who thinks he knows it all is like talking to a wall.

Longview took a step back last yr. They were zero threat to do anything last yr.

As far as Ennis goes, why would I want to make excuses for them. I could care less about Ennis, but you talk about how today's offense are so much better and don't compare, but yet, Ennis won state, and your team (who runs that Old school veer more than half of the time) is one of the best teams in the state. And again, lets not forget West Monroe and Byrd beat Longview and other Texas teams with the old school method.

It seems to me, you can't take the fact that I have challenged all of your ignorant remarks, so now you try to talk down to me. You claim you know more about football than me, but your facts are wrong. You made a blanket statement about Louisiana football but you don't live there and have no idea what your talking about.

Then you claim stats get kids Div.1 offers....but again you are wrong. Rodney Bendy, a WR from John Tyler had 28 catches for 361 yds his junior yr in 2013. Last yr Bendy had 27 catches for 457 yards. He was 4th in receptions and receiving yards at JT last yr. Guess what, he had 2 D1 offers. Plays at a D1 school now. Why, because he is 6'5 with good hands. I can give you hundred more examples of kids with great stats, who don't get div.1 offers. But yet, you claim a receiver with low stats can't go Div.1.

The problem you have with me is that I can back my arguments with facts and figures....but your arguments are only based on how you feel or what you think.

Oh yea....go look up Sugar Ray Robinson in terms of boxing. Many boxing experts consider him the best of all time and he is not a heavyweight.

one last thing, Im not saying Katy isn't the best Def of all time. Im just saying, you guys need to stop dismissing DF because they played in the 80s and they are a small school.

Putting words in my mouth.

Typical north tyler..

Example: I never said that stats is the only thing that get players recruited. Hell, nowadays if you go to a satellite camp and perform well enough, you have an offer right on the spot...even if said player hasnt produced much on the field. I know the recruiting process better than you'll ever know. You refrenced the 90s, however camps and combines weren't abundant back then as they are now. Stats, size and team reputation were the three areas that got players recruited back then.

And once again, no one has taken anything from your beloved tigers. Most dominating defense of all time in their own classification. I've said this a thousand times. But the original post asked for best....and it ain't them. If you take that as degrading Dfield, oh well...take it how you want.

Where did Eric Everett and Mims play in the NFL ? Whitmore was not on defense that year. Edmond and Hendrix were great guys at SFA, but both were basically role players on the football team.

Sorry! Had two pumps go out on rig and had to go down and get them running and the wifi keeps going in and out. It looks like Bunz answered the question and I think Mims played for either Atlanta or Carolina. Beleive me those guys were something to watch. Everyone's opinion is just that "an opinion" I really beleived a few more of those men could have played in the NFL but I'm sure lots of people think that about players. Like I said I've seen lots of players over the better, some better. But I've never seen that much talent together. Or maybe after watching them I got desensitized.

Putting words in my mouth.

Typical north tyler..

Example: I never said that stats is the only thing that get players recruited. Hell, nowadays if you go to a satellite camp and perform well enough, you have an offer right on the spot...even if said player hasnt produced much on the field. I know the recruiting process better than you'll ever know. You refrenced the 90s, however camps and combines weren't abundant back then as they are now. Stats, size and team reputation were the three areas that got players recruited back then.

And once again, no one has taken anything from your beloved tigers. Most dominating defense of all time in their own classification. I've said this a thousand times. But the original post asked for best....and it ain't them. If you take that as degrading Dfield, oh well...take it how you want.

I didn't put any words in your mouth NOBO.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You said "10 catches for 220 yards in a season isn't going to get you heavily recruited now like it would back then.".

But now your saying "if you go to a satellite camp and perform you can get offered on the spot". Well....NOBO....I'm pretty sure that is what I have been saying the entire time. You seem to be very confused. As far as the 90s go, Stats, size and reputation were not the only thing that got you recruited then either, because Coaches came to high school practices, just like they do now. Coaches had film, coaches, went to games. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

And please tell me how you think you know the recruiting process better than me. Have you been on a recruiting trip? Have you made any film for players to be recruited? Have you sat in on a recruiting call? Have you ever signed a NLI? Maybe you have...maybe you haven't, but you know nothing about me to come out and say you know more than me. I do know this, based on your posts, you seem to be clueless about the entire process.

But back on Daingerfield. I could care less about Daingerfield, because I am not from there. Never been to Daingerfield a day in my life. Had a good friend in college from there. And I'm not saying Katy defense isn't the best. All I'm saying is that if you are dismissing a defense from the past based on today's offense, that would be absolutely foolish based on the fact that there are teams running Old school offenses that win state. And if you are dismissing a team based on Classification, that would also be stupid. Us Texans have a flawed view on Big School vs Small school, because 95% of the time, we only play schools within a class of our enrollment. But in other states, like Louisiana, where you see Big schools play small schools, you would know the smaller schools can compete better than you think, and sometimes win games.

David Whitmore went to San Fransisco and was the player included with the trade of Joe Montana to Kansas City. Retired there and moved into law enforcement.

Eric Everett was with Philadelphia. Was also an academic All American at Tech and set the vertical leap record.

Greg Evans played in the NFL for Buffalo.

Steve Stutsman was on the 84 team. His greatest play may have been the fake punt pass in Texas stadium to seal the game against Vernon. Would have been in the NFL if he had went to a passing school. Parade All American.

Thank you for the information. Sounds like you knew them well. It amazes me how much raw talent has come and is still coming through a small town like Daingerfield. Y'all are blessed.

When dealing with East Texans, almost particularly north tyler...

You tend to get lost a bit.

dude, man up. This is just a debate. If you don't agree with me, come back with facts to back up your claim. No need to keep taking it to the level of calling out a community. I disagree with you alot, but I have always gave your Lobos respect...even though I may joke with you and call them NOBOS from time to time. Problem you have with me is that I have destroyed all of your flawed logic, because you make blanket statements that are completely false.

Again, I never said Katy wasn't the best...I'm just saying your reasons for dismissing Daingerfield is flawed. I honestly think they both deserve high praise. Katy may or may not be the best ever....but without a doubt, they are probably the best in recent memory.

+1

See that's me right there. I never saw DField play...hell I didn't even see Katy play! But somehow I just have a hard time seeing a modern day offense(Desoto Allen SLC)...being stopped by a 30 year old Defense. Back then it was sweep left sweep right. Today offenses are just un-freaking real. I dunno...the 560 ft stat is pretty impressive to say the least. Kids are just bigger faster stronger now. IMO...today's athletes would run circles around yester years athletes. Same way i believe the pitiful pathetic sorry cowboys team today would smash the championship 70's cowboys.

Idk about that because the 70s Cowboys stopped a high powered Bronco offense. Theres no way of knowing whos defense is better because offenses are so high powered. But i wonder if Katy would have a problem stopping a run heavy team just Dfield might have a problem stopping a pass heavy offense.

Dfield might have a problem stopping a pass heavy offense.

With all four defensive backs receiving college scholarships and winning the 400 meter relay at the state track meet ......................NOT

Jim Brown would still punish NFL defenses and that was 50 years ago.