What exactly is a T-shirt fan

Baron

"T-shirt fan" is the message board equivalent of "your mother wears army boots"! It is what debaters use when more cogent ideas are absent. There is nothing inherently wrong with being a t-shirt fan. There is nothing implicitly wrong with being a t-shirt fan. There is nothing explicitly wrong with being a t-shirt fan. There is nothing relatively wrong with being a t-shirt fan. There is nothing wrong with being a t-shirt fan - period.

Fan is, after all, short for fanatic. Is there a qualitative difference between fanatics? Doubtful.

I was a UT fan long before most here were born. When it came time to enroll in secondary education I chose an small, elitist, liberal arts university that lacked a football program. (I did take one summer class at UT so my status as a t-shirt fan is suspect)

One does not have to have graduated from UT (TU?) to look down on Aggy, Bears, Sooners, Red Raiders, etc. It's way easier than that.

I love the general "It's what you use when you don't have an argument!" quip. That's not true, and a laughable attempt at rhetoric. One can easily pick apart "arguments" or "points" made AND mock them for being a t-shirt fan. Those things are not mutually exclusive. Hope you understand what that means, but doubt it.

The cheaper looking the better, don't want any Aggies confusing me with a real longhorn!! Lol

I'm sure real Longhorns don't want you confused with them either. :)

T shirt fans IMO, are people who are a certain age and became a fan of a team later in life because they were winning or they liked their colors or whatever. Nothing bothers me more than talking sports with someone who's 35+ years old and doesn't know anything that happened to Texas sports before 2005. Or the current Baylor group that decided after RG3 they would actually talk at all. Or the A&M crop that popped up after Johnny and the move to the sec. They all bother me. If you're going to talk trash to one fan of another team, own up to the past that has happened in at least your own lifetime... Don't just jump out of the woodwork when things are good and act like you have been the biggest fan in the world since birth.

Go try to find a BU t-shirt at your local Walmart. It's near impossible, luckily.

I was in the U,S.M.C for 6 years and have been a UT fan for over 50 years. Only team I root for. I believe this rubbed off on my nephew, He join the Marines and has been a UT fan all his life. After a tour in Afghanistan and a stint in the Military Police my nephew got out of the Marines but had to go to college in California because his girlfriend got pregnant and they got married she wanted to sty close to home. He now works for a police department in California but still makes 2 football games a year. Believe me he catches hell out there for being a UT fan and living in California. Bad record or not you will not find a more loyal fan.

You won't. Too small a group of surviving alumni. And I will say that I have utmost respect for Baylor fans who stuck with their team through the 90s and 00s.

My Dad & Uncle played on some good Grant Teaff teams. I was there in the darkest years, the Kevin Steele/Guy Morris era.

I love the general "It's what you use when you don't have an argument!" quip. That's not true, and a laughable attempt at rhetoric. One can easily pick apart "arguments" or "points" made AND mock them for being a t-shirt fan. Those things are not mutually exclusive. Hope you understand what that means, but doubt it.

I'm sure real Longhorns don't want you confused with them either. :)

Neat!!

If you are going to take it Pro What would Jerry Jones do without the Tshirt fans.

​What gets me is the tshirt fans that take on the hate for rival universities that they take on to support.

I agree. My hatred for Auburn is something I was born with, so it doesn't count. Also, I don't hate Notre Dame, USC, or Ohio State because of a rivalry with BAMA, I loathe them because they are media darlings who are constantly overrated. I pull for whoever is playing LSU (unless it's Auburn) so I can hear the Shreveport tv guys and all of my neighbors cry about them losing. These are all valid reasons to hate a football team, aren't they?

T-shirt fans are fans of a team that can not explain why they are a fan of a team. The school was never in their blood. T-shirt fans are ignorant of the team and traditions of the school.

You do not have to be an alumni or drop-out of a school to be a fan. I feel like if you grow up supporting the school, what it represents, and it's teams and traditions then you are a real fan.

Now do I hold alumni in higher regard than a non-graduate of LSU? Sure. I respect that they found the degree program that they wanted at the school and made it to graduation. However, it doesn't make them more of a fan than me or my grandmother. I have a cousin that graduated from LSU. She cheers for LSU football but doesn't have a clue about any of the chants, traditions, or even the sport. So that person gets a seat higher than Gumbo Joe who is 80, gone to every game since he was 18, and supports the program with financial donations?

Nice try Johnny... But you remind me so much of the Aggies that give people a bad feel about A&M when you try to talk about fandom...

• Like 2

I agree. My hatred for Auburn is something I was born with, so it doesn't count. Also, I don't hate Notre Dame, USC, or Ohio State because of a rivalry with BAMA, I loathe them because they are media darlings who are constantly overrated. I pull for whoever is playing LSU (unless it's Auburn) so I can hear the Shreveport tv guys and all of my neighbors cry about them losing. These are all valid reasons to hate a football team, aren't they?

Nope, there is no reason to hate LSU when you chant SEC SEC SEC at the game *evil grin*

Looking at the wrong place. The best places to buy them is on the rack at the liquor store somewhere between Waco and Austin

I get mine at the UT Co-Op. May pay a bit more but they have a great selection. However I do get a discount for being an alum. It has become a Gameday tradition for our family that and along with meeting up with my old roommates on the bridge at the Alumni Center.

• Like 1

I get mine at the UT Co-Op. May pay a bit more but they have a great selection. However I do get a discount for being an alum. It has become a Gameday tradition for our family that and along with meeting up with my old roommates on the bridge at the Alumni Center.

I usually buy my t-shirts at LSUshop but I really like the Nike Hoodies and I can find them cheaper usually at an Academy in FtWorth or sometimes Champs in a mall.