Sedberry Retires

supermaroon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was coach Philips now he is at Waller again. He left and the place went back down hill.

Well done, you are correct sir. He and his staff (some former Lions and local guys) had that place rolling and the future was bright. But some didn't care for the "progressive" way they were getting it done and tried to recreate the "golden" years with their subsequent hires = failure.

Well done, you are correct sir. He and his staff (some former Lions and local guys) had that place rolling and the future was bright. But some didn't care for the "progressive" way they were getting it done and tried to recreate the "golden" years with their subsequent hires = failure.

They had a good QB and RB that year too watched them play against Little Elm and Paris. They had a kid on the lower level at QB who could of been a stud.

They had a good QB and RB that year too watched them play against Little Elm and Paris. They had a kid on the lower level at QB who could of been a stud.

They had cleaned out the "majority" of the problems and were a little thin at the sub-varsity level, but the talent was their and the program was in place to continue the success. The young QB and RB that would have been the starters the next year as well as a stud receiver that went straight basketball the next year would have made them solid on offense. The young crop of lineman was very good and the third year in the program would have continued the success.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice some wins early and clean house of problems to build a program for the long run. Might be the answer here tear it down to build it up. I've seen people so consumed with winning that they allow kids to run wild and get away with anything.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice some wins early and clean house of problems to build a program for the long run. Might be the answer here tear it down to build it up. I've seen people so consumed with winning that they allow kids to run wild and get away with anything.

Well they have sacrifice 40 wins, 4 years in a row lol. But I agree they need to bring someone in and understand that the process it is going to take awhile to turn around.

Yeah that's a painful stretch for anyone to go through I really just hope they get it right. There is some athletic potential there but the closing of the phoenix charter school killed them in terms of numbers athletics wise. Brought in about 100 new kids into the high school and put them just over the cutoff number by like 30 or so. Never heard an exact number but without these new kids Greenville would be playing in 4a d1 instead of 5a.

That is a very good question but i don't believe it has to be a successful coordinator or head coach to turn a program around. I just think a young coach can come in there restore the fire in those kids, with the past hires we see older guys come and go over the last ten years.

Yes he may not need to be a state champion coordinator but to have some credentials to your name is important otherwise people will think the job was just handed to you because of who you know. I agree a young coach with lots of fire and passion to turn things around could be just what greenville needs.

Yes he may not need to be a state champion coordinator but to have some credentials to your name is important otherwise people will think the job was just handed to you because of who you know. I agree a young coach with lots of fire and passion to turn things around could be just what greenville needs.

Agree but for 90k I am sure their will be some top names in there old and young.

Oh yeah for that pay and if you turn that place around you could probably write your ticket to just about anywhere if you want to leave. But to me the greenville area isnt to bad big enough to have just about anything you need or want in the town and small enough you dont have to worry about gridlock traffic.

I don't know much, I'm afraid. I know they hope to have a successor to take before the board at their next meeting on Feb. 16. For what it's worth, if there was a posting on the GISD job board, it's gone now. So I'd look for interviews to start taking place next week. That is just a guess, though. Superintendant Don Jeffries is leading the search, so take that for what it's worth.

Phoenix School only had around 100-120 students or so in the 9th-12th grade range at last count. Don't know exactly how many migrated to GHS rather than the Greenville Christian School. Obviously a large percentage for our school's enrollment to go up by 187 in two years.

I don't really know who the frontrunner is. I, like others, thought the job would just pass to Coach Duke (given his history with Coach/Principal Jarvis), but as always with Greenville, nothing is being reported. Which I can sort of understand (which coach at another school wants it reported publicly that they're looking to get out, especially if they wind up not coming), but it's pretty frustrating for those of us looking for news.

...and turning left on Wesley Street (Hwy 34) during lunch/rush hour ####.