Longhorns 2016 Thread

Baron

Time to retire the old thread and start a new one. I don't want to take away from the recruiting thread until after NSD so I figure we can post any non recruiting news, predictions and thoughts on this one.

To start off I'd like to pose the question as to who will start at QB next season. I would not be surprised to see Locksley start while Buechele red-shirts. He's bigger than Heard and just as athletic. From what I've read his arm is a little stronger than Heard's as well. Back up would probably be Swoopes simply because of his success in the 18 wheeler package. I also wouldn't be surprised if a QB (Heard or Merrick) decided to transfer next season.

Time to retire the old thread and start a new one. I don't want to take away from the recruiting thread until after NSD so I figure we can post any non recruiting news, predictions and thoughts on this one.

To start off I'd like to pose the question as to who will start at QB next season. I would not be surprised to see Locksley start while Buechele red-shirts. He's bigger than Heard and just as athletic. From what I've read his arm is a little stronger than Heard's as well. Back up would probably be Swoopes simply because of his success in the 18 wheeler package. I also wouldn't be surprised if a QB (Heard or Merrick) decided to transfer next season.

I would like to see Strong and co slip in a few tricky passes to a TE or RB slipping out into the open with that 18-wheeler package... Just makes the whole concept of it, that much harder to stop.... however, that means you need Swoopes to be able to throw an accurate 5 yard pass....

I hear Locksleyis working very hard to win the QB battle. Most "experts" believe he'll never play QB and WR is his future position. I'll reserve judgment until the spring game.

Ian Boyd, writer for IT and SBnation, thinks Merrick is the best fit for the new offense, but the knock on him last season was Watson had to retool his throwing motion.

In the end I agree that I'd rather RS Buchele if it's possible. The problem is Strong may not have that luxury because he has to win now! The spring should be very good because we'll have 5 QBs on campus competing for the job.

I would like to see Strong and co slip in a few tricky passes to a TE or RB slipping out into the open with that 18-wheeler package... Just makes the whole concept of it, that much harder to stop.... however, that means you need Swoopes to be able to throw an accurate 5 yard pass....

They threw a TD out of this play against ou and were successful with it against KSU and Baylor. They had the play but didn't use it very often.

I hear Locksleyis working very hard to win the QB battle. Most "experts" believe he'll never play QB and WR is his future position. I'll reserve judgment until the spring game.

Ian Boyd, writer for IT and SBnation, thinks Merrick is the best fit for the new offense, but the knock on him last season was Watson had to retool his throwing motion.

In the end I agree that I'd rather RS Buchele if it's possible. The problem is Strong may not have that luxury because he has to win now! The spring should be very good because we'll have 5 QBs on campus competing for the job.

I wouldn't expect Buechele to RS for a couple reasons. 1) He may very well be the best QB on campus. If so, he starts. 2) Even if he's not ready to be the starter, I can't imagine him not already being one of the top 2 QB's, making him the backup...until he's ready.

Swoopes is not leading this team anywhere.

Heard poses a threat with his legs, but he doesn't scare anyone throwing the ball.

Locksley, I'm in agreement with the 'experts' on this one. I don't think he ends up playing QB at Texas. I think he moves to WR.

Merrick may very well be the 2nd best QB on the roster....behind Buechele. I could very well see the QB depth chart being Buechele 1, and Merrick 2

This is probably Strong's make or break year , I hope he succeeds because it's very obvious the top players on this team are his guys that he brought in. Teas could very well have the best back 7 on defense in college football in 2 years. Having said that their is still some dead weight on the Texas roster for another year or 2

As far as schedule here is what I'm thinking/hoping:

Notre Dame = L. Should/needs to be more competitive than last year

UTEP = W

@ Cal = W. Bears lose Goff and top WR's

In Big 12 I think Texas will win at least 1 of OU/TCU/Baylor possibly 2 of 3. Strong is already 1-1 against OU and Baylor and the losses weren't blowouts. TCU has owned Texas the last 2 years , hopefully Texas closes the gap with Boykin , Doctson and others graduating.

Texas should beat the other Big 12 teams IMO but it wouldn't be a shock if somebody slipped up and beat them ( Tech , OSU ). Strong can't lay an egg like Iowa State last year.

Some coaching change news that's actually good for the Horns!

RB coach Tommie Robinson is reportedly taking the same position at USC. He was thought to be headed to LSU last week and Strong asked potential RB recruits to push their visits back.

New OC Gilbert will bring in a guy of his choosing.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat lost in the recruiting shuffle, Texas announced that RS freshman DB Jermaine Roberts is no longer with the program and will transfer.

He RS his first year and missed all of last season with a knee injury he sustained in fall camp.

Early favorites for his services are SHSU.

Texas now with 4 DT's in this class and at least 1 more expected!

I bet Stephon Taylor is going to be the one left out now. I believe Texas only has something like 3 or 4 DT's on roster so they needed bodies.

Southall also plays some DE on film so we will see. I've also read rumors he may be a grade risk so we will have to wait and see how that goes.

I bet Stephon Taylor is going to be the one left out now. I believe Texas only has something like 3 or 4 DT's on roster so they needed bodies.

Southall also plays some DE on film so we will see. I've also read rumors he may be a grade risk so we will have to wait and see how that goes.

Jordan Elliot is still highly expected to sign with Texas, so I agree, Taylor may be the one out.

Crazy thing though, Taylor and Elliot announce at the same time.