Cowboys Longer Offseason

Doomer

What would you do with the #4 pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you handle it?

• Stay put- Take the best player available
    • Trade Up- Take Goff as your franchise QB
    • Trade Down- Pick up extra picks in a deep draft where you have position problems

I feel like the Cowboys was eliminated two weeks earlier this year. Seems every year they makes the playoffs or fights to the very last week to do so. Due to strange circumstances it is already a done deal that basketball season is amongst us in about 14 days to come. I don't really want to burden you fellers with my personal life but I never watch the NBA cause it don't resemble basketball any more. I do however TEVO the Laker girls on occasion. True storie

Their last 2-3 drafts have been pretty good for the picks they have gotten, just need to address the glaring need at Qb, Rb, Wr, TE, and in the secondary...oh damn...

Dallas looks like they'll have the 4th pick in the draft. There's a chance they could have Jared Goff fall into their laps, but with Cleveland and SF drafting ahead of them, it is possible Dallas will miss out on the only two quarterbacks worth taking.

Possible choices include a base 4-3 end in Joey Bosa, Byron Jones clone Jalen Ramsey, corner Vernon Hargreaves, linebacker Jaylen Smith and OT Laremy Tunsil.

Dallas will have decisions to make on DMC, Turbin, Mo Claiborne, Ro McClain, and Greg Hardy. All of them may try to jump ship for greener pastures after the way the season transpired.

If Goff is gone I like Jaylen Smith, he would be a great replacement for Lee who just cant hold up anymore. Drafting DB's in the first is just too risky, seems like a lot of them never turn out at least for us anyways. I only like Bosa if we decide to get rid of Hardy, otherwise the Dline starts getting a little crowded to justify another first rounder.

Need to go after Smith to replace McClain. They are already going to be better getting Scandrick back, so I'm not thinking anyone else will be ready contribute secondary wise. Offensively, Moore is fine to backup Romo for another year until you they really can go get someone in a larger qb class. Focus more on a back, reciever, or tight end. Best player available.

If Goff is gone I like Jaylen Smith, he would be a great replacement for Lee who just cant hold up anymore. Drafting DB's in the first is just too risky, seems like a lot of them never turn out at least for us anyways. I only like Bosa if we decide to get rid of Hardy, otherwise the Dline starts getting a little crowded to justify another first rounder.

I personally dislike the idea of drafting a 4-3 linebacker this high. I'm told Jaylen Smith can put his hand on the ground and rush the passer, which would improve his value to me, but I've yet to see him do it. To draft a 4-3 linebacker this high you need a Luke Keuchly type player, and not an AJ Hawk.

Bosa would be a 4-3 base end, which the Cowboys currently don't really have. Gregory, Lawrence, Mincey, and Hardy are all weakside ends; if they somehow manage to keep Hardy, I would think Mincey would be the odd man out, but they shouldn't discount Bosa if he's there.

Don't really see any defensive tackles that could be a justifiable pick here.

So who's left? There's Dez clone Laquan Treadwell. ILB Myles Jack. A couple pretty good offensive tackles. 2-3 corners. We'll know more when more juniors declare I suppose.

I personally dislike the idea of drafting a 4-3 linebacker this high. I'm told Jaylen Smith can put his hand on the ground and rush the passer, which would improve his value to me, but I've yet to see him do it. To draft a 4-3 linebacker this high you need a Luke Keuchly type player, and not an AJ Hawk.

Bosa would be a 4-3 base end, which the Cowboys currently don't really have. Gregory, Lawrence, Mincey, and Hardy are all weakside ends; if they somehow manage to keep Hardy, I would think Mincey would be the odd man out, but they shouldn't discount Bosa if he's there.

Don't really see any defensive tackles that could be a justifiable pick here.

So who's left? There's Dez clone Laquan Treadwell. ILB Myles Jack. A couple pretty good offensive tackles. 2-3 corners. We'll know more when more juniors declare I suppose.

I suppose, if they kept Hardy you could move him or mincey inside but they aren't much for run stopping so someone would have to go if they went Bosa. I like the Treadwell pick, the thought of he and Dez on the same side would be terrifying for defensive coordinators.

top 20 picks thru week 15

1. Tennessee Titans: 3-11
2. Cleveland Browns: 3-11
3. San Diego Chargers: 4-10
4. Baltimore Ravens: 4-10
5. Dallas Cowboys: 4-10
6. San Francisco 49ers: 4-10
7. Detroit Lions: 4-9
8. New Orleans Saints: 5-8
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-9
10. Miami Dolphins: 5-9
11. Chicago Bears: 5-9
12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6-8
13. New York Giants: 6-8
14. Indianapolis Colts: 6-8
15. Oakland Raiders: 6-8
16. Philadelphia Eagles: 6-8
17. Buffalo Bills: 6-8
18. St. Louis Rams: 6-8
19. Atlanta Falcons: 7-7
20. New York Jets: 9-5

Here are the Dallas UFA's -

CB Mo Claiborne

ILB Ro McClain

G/C Mackenzie Bernadeau

DE Jeremy Mincey

DE Greg Hardy

DT Jack Crawford

RB Lance Dunbar

SLB Kyle Wilber

TE James Hanna

DT Nick Hayden

RB Robert Turbin

S Danny McCray

OT Charles Brown

FB Tyler Clutts

QB Matt Cassel

RFA -

G Ron Leary

S Jeff Heath

Of these, my top priorities are Claiborne, McClain, Hardy, Mincey, Turbin, and Dunbar. If I consider the Franchise tag, Rolando McClain is the only one I'd consider. Hayden and Jack Crawford might return with easy deals and to stick with Marinelli. Mincey may have run out of juice in his tank, and Cassel clearly is on empty. Hardy is a wildcard; he may draw heavy interest, or very little. The rest aren't considered a priority. I would also tender Leary with a 2nd round option.

As of now I consider the two best QB prospects gone to Cleveland and the 49ers. If Bosa and possibly the best tackle gone, that leaves several defensive prospects and WR Laquan Treadwell for the Cowboys to pick between. Out of these, my top player so far is Vernon Hargreaves. Regardless of whether Carr hangs on for another year, that would give Dallas a chance to field Scandrick, Claiborne, Hargreaves and possibly Jones/Carr.

I am also giving Jalen Ramsey a long look because he can play cornerback or safety,

Here are the Dallas UFA's -

CB Mo Claiborne

ILB Ro McClain

G/C Mackenzie Bernadeau

DE Jeremy Mincey

DE Greg Hardy

DT Jack Crawford

RB Lance Dunbar

SLB Kyle Wilber

TE James Hanna

DT Nick Hayden

RB Robert Turbin

S Danny McCray

OT Charles Brown

FB Tyler Clutts

QB Matt Cassel

RFA -

G Ron Leary

S Jeff Heath

Of these, my top priorities are Claiborne, McClain, Hardy, Mincey, Turbin, and Dunbar. If I consider the Franchise tag, Rolando McClain is the only one I'd consider. Hayden and Jack Crawford might return with easy deals and to stick with Marinelli. Mincey may have run out of juice in his tank, and Cassel clearly is on empty. Hardy is a wildcard; he may draw heavy interest, or very little. The rest aren't considered a priority. I would also tender Leary with a 2nd round option.

As of now I consider the two best QB prospects gone to Cleveland and the 49ers. If Bosa and possibly the best tackle gone, that leaves several defensive prospects and WR Laquan Treadwell for the Cowboys to pick between. Out of these, my top player so far is Vernon Hargreaves. Regardless of whether Carr hangs on for another year, that would give Dallas a chance to field Scandrick, Claiborne, Hargreaves and possibly Jones/Carr.

I am also giving Jalen Ramsey a long look because he can play cornerback or safety,

I like your logic here. As much as I like Rolando McClain I am not sure I could Franchise tag him. Maybe if we could build in some restrictions. I do want to keep him.

I thought as of right now we own the tie breaker with San Fran because of strength of schedule.

It's still a fluid situation to be sure.

The question is: If Dallas likes Kellen Moore, do you draft Lynch or Goff, or do you auction off that pick for a small fortune? Dallas can't do anything with Romo for 2-3 years.

I like your logic here. As much as I like Rolando McClain I am not sure I could Franchise tag him. Maybe if we could build in some restrictions. I do want to keep him.

I went out on a limb and considered McClain for the Franchise tag because I'm assuming the top 5 pay for middle linebackers isn't expensive vs. what it would be if you considered signing Hardy to the FT.

But Dallas couldn't add any clauses or anything to it; it is a lump sum amount regardless of how well he plays or if he's injured. It is risky, especially with McClain concerned, but he's already getting 5-6 mil this year, so it isn't a stretch financially.

Dallas may not want the headache of dealing with McClain any more, he may want to get a bigger contract somewhere, and all this may be moot.

The question is: If Dallas likes Kellen Moore, do you draft Lynch or Goff, or do you auction off that pick for a small fortune? Dallas can't do anything with Romo for 2-3 years.

This is true, if Moore looks good I have no problem with keeping him on as backup because like you said we are financially tied to Romo for another few years.

As for Hardy I thought there was a clause in the contract we signed with him that we couldn't franchise tag him. Regardless I would let him test the free agent market before I offer him a massive extension. I don't think the market will be as big for him as he thought it would be. Mincey is burned out and unless we can get him cheap I don't want him back. McClain is interesting because people forget he is just now getting back into football shape because he missed all of the off season with surgery and then missed those first four weeks because of the suspension. If he can be healthy I would like to see him with a full off season next year, the dude can still play. I'm starting to lean with you blackcat in drafting a CB or WR depending on what's there at 4 or 5. I don't like drafting a tackle because I think Collins could easily move to RT if we needed him to and we could plug Leary, Bernadeu, or whoever in at LG.

There's no way I'd franchise tag Rolando McClain. He's not worth $12.1 million a year. I'd offer him $6 million, but if he doesn't take it see ya'. I'm hearing Derrick Henry is going to declare for the draft. He's projected to be a late to 2nd round pick. I think we should trade down, pick up some additional picks and take him between 10-14, then take Connor Cook in the early 2nd round.

• Like 1

It's still a fluid situation to be sure.

Except release him ....

Boys have to hope Romo holds up 2 more years? I think that's the biggest hits of the new contract, front loaded.

If Treadwell was healthy and didn't have the knee injuries I might consider taking him with my 1st rounder. Dez goes down Williams has proven he can't step up.

I'd rather have Connor Cook in the second, than Goff. Just because the CB, S, DE, WR available there in the first could fill a more immediate need.

Tunsil(sp?) is he a RT?

If the Boys pulled a best defensive player available in the first, then follow up with a QB/RB/ WR in the 2nd and 3rd I'd be happy. Defense needs reinforcements. Offense needs more weapons.

Yea but he seems to have recovered nicely from the tibia/ankle injury he had. I am fine with he, Hargreaves or Bosa with our first pick and getting Cook in the second round could be a steal. If we get Hargreaves do we keep Carr and his inflated salary another year though?