Cowboys Longer Offseason

Doomer

What would you do with the #4 pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you handle it?

• Stay put- Take the best player available
    • Trade Up- Take Goff as your franchise QB
    • Trade Down- Pick up extra picks in a deep draft where you have position problems

We sign fumble the butt fumble guy? Are you kidding me?!

The NFL Network announced it on their Facebook page around 7 pm last night or at least that's when I first saw it was official. It's a 1 year $2.5 million deal according to this : http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dallas-cowboys-agree-to-deal-with-mark-sanchez-090316 . I hope that if Dak struggles that they bring in Showers as the starter first to see what he can do, and if he struggles bring in Sanchez. I realize that both Dak and Showers are young and learning, but they can't be any worse than Sanchez. What's even more stunning is Trevor Siemian won the starting job with Denver. He was a 7th round draft pick last year, and he's only take one snap for -1 yard rushing in his rookie season. He did get a ring his rookie year though.

^ The bad news is they cut Showers to sign Sanchez. Unless they put Romo on IR and re sign Showers. They are carrying 2 FB. Why????

I just read that. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/09/04/cowboys-sign-sanchez-release-showers-7-added-practice-squad?sf35119016=1 Stupid of them to do so. Showers has played well in his two preseasons, and they haven't even seen what Sanchez can do, except on film. Sanchez couldn't beat out a second year player, a rookie, and Denver went with Davis Austin as their third quarterback.

Charles Tapper has a interesting injury. Has a Pars Defect in his back. It's basically a back fracture he's had since childhood. He woke up at training camp and felt paralyzed from the waist down. Tapper said" it's basically like it's not connected to his spine."

http://www.todayspigskin.com/pigskin-news/cowboys-de-charles-tapper-indefinitely-fractured-back/

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out here on the Romo hate?

I don't have a dog in this hunt (not a Cowboy fan, never been a Cowboy fan) but I can think of at least 20 teams who would LOVE to have had Tony Romo's "problems" for the last 13 years. Looking at his stats, dude is elite. Yeah yeah (I know what you're gonna say) but where are his rings? Tell you what: why don't you stick Emmitt and Moose in the backfield, have Irvin and Jay catching passes, and put him behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history... I bet you he'll make you forget all about the golden boy from Muskogee.

Romo has done nothing but made chicken salad from chicken poop for more than a decade. Has he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? Oh you betcha! But who could've done better? C'mon, show me some numbers... how many quarterbacks have done better than him, for as long as he's played? Unless their name ends with "Brady" or "Manning" there ain't many, if any. Last time I checked, Romo hasn't lined up on defense either.

Dallas's suffering should be laid squarely at the feet of the one person responsible, and he ain't even on the field.

• Like 3

Thats a great post and dead on

I got frustrated at times with him but looking back in all those 8-8 years most qbs it would have been 5-11

The year that will go down I think as the one that got away was 2007 Romo played great and we had a defense to compliment 13-3

If Pat Crayton catches that ball against the Giants I feel like we would have been in the SB

I don't have a dog in this hunt (not a Cowboy fan, never been a Cowboy fan) but I can think of at least 20 teams who would LOVE to have had Tony Romo's "problems" for the last 13 years. Looking at his stats, dude is elite. Yeah yeah (I know what you're gonna say) but where are his rings? Tell you what: why don't you stick Emmitt and Moose in the backfield, have Irvin and Jay catching passes, and put him behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history... I bet you he'll make you forget all about the golden boy from Muskogee.

Romo has done nothing but made chicken salad from chicken poop for more than a decade. Has he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? Oh you betcha! But who could've done better? C'mon, show me some numbers... how many quarterbacks have done better than him, for as long as he's played? Unless their name ends with "Brady" or "Manning" there ain't many, if any. Last time I checked, Romo hasn't lined up on defense either.

Dallas's suffering should be laid squarely at the feet of the one person responsible, and he ain't even on the field.

The main reason has been his lack of success in the playoffs. Another was smiling even after throwing a pick sixes. He has not shown leadership that I expect out the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. While his stats are good that doesn't make him elite, and he has never been called that by the "experts". Was he top 5 some years, yes, but you have to more playoff wins than he's had in the past 13 years.

The main reason has been his lack of success in the playoffs. Another was smiling even after throwing a pick sixes. He has not shown leadership that I expect out the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. While his stats are good that doesn't make him elite, and he has never been called that by the "experts". Was he top 5 some years, yes, but you have to more playoff wins than he's had in the past 13 years.

I'm not disagreeing with you... except for one thing: his success in the playoffs. Again, his numbers are not bad. A career postseason passer rating of 93.0 is nothing to sneeze at. (62% comp 1,316yds 8tds 2int)

Granted his playoff record is 2-4, but again: from the outside looking in, it looks like Romo makes Dallas seem better than they are. One look at the Cowboys record without Romo as starter demonstrates this.

Wouldn't be fair to blame Goodell for everything
  • Like 1

I'm not disagreeing with you... except for one thing: his success in the playoffs. Again, his numbers are not bad. A career postseason passer rating of 93.0 is nothing to sneeze at. (62% comp 1,316yds 8tds 2int)

Granted his playoff record is 2-4, but again: from the outside looking in, it looks like Romo makes Dallas seem better than they are. One look at the Cowboys record without Romo as starter demonstrates this.

I have spent a great too many posts defending Romo on this very board, so they may be searchable from several years ago. It quite seemed that the 2014 season won many people over to the fact that Romo will probably soon retire with a great deal of Dallas passing records while also having possibly a top 10 passer rating all-time as well as an adjusted form of Yards Per Attempt that rank in the top 3. In other words, he's elite, he's been one of the best quarterbacks in the modern passing era, and Dallas may have done him a grave disservice by not building a better team around him.

Essentially you can point out that regardless of any argument of Romo's "intangibles" (which cannot be directly studied) or his numbers, he hasn't reached a Super Bowl because only one team that I can even recall that did not have a defense that was top 5 in the league in Defensive Passer Rating (Cardinals in 2009), or was top 5 in Passer Rating Differential. As such teams that possess a defensive powerhouse that can turn opposing quarterbacks into mere mortals, they often drag very pedestrian quarterbacks to the big show, and many of the 'elite' quarterbacks we think of today couldn't win a Super Bowl until they had a team that led the league in DPR - Both Mannings (Peyton twice), Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, and Kurt Warner,

Any objective look at NFL history will point you to an absolute feast of great quarterbacks who never got the accolades they deserve because they never had a good enough defense to get them to the next level of sophistry.

• Like 2

...teams that possess a defensive powerhouse that can turn opposing quarterbacks into mere mortals, they often drag very pedestrian quarterbacks to the big show...

Any objective look at NFL history will point you to an absolute feast of great quarterbacks who never got the accolades they deserve because they never had a good enough defense to get them to the next level of sophistry.

Great points all around, but especially this one.

Highest post-season winning percentage in NFL history: Trent Dilfer. Trent-freakin-Dilfer.

I grew up as a HUGE Dan Marino fan. Every year I had to watch him come up short because a.) we never had an adequate running game b.) we couldn't stop anybody on defense. I can't tell you how many times I watched Danny torch the opposing team for 400 yards and score 42 points... only to lose 45-42. Even on the rare occasions we made it to the playoffs, more complete teams like Buffalo would kick the #### out of us. Romo is a modern Marino. I like watching Dak play, and he seems like he's got a pretty good future ahead of him, but his fortunes will be no better than Romo's until Dallas build a better team overall.

Great points all around, but especially this one.

Highest post-season winning percentage in NFL history: Trent Dilfer. Trent-freakin-Dilfer.

I grew up as a HUGE Dan Marino fan. Every year I had to watch him come up short because a.) we never had an adequate running game b.) we couldn't stop anybody on defense. I can't tell you how many times I watched Danny torch the opposing team for 400 yards and score 42 points... only to lose 45-42. Even on the rare occasions we made it to the playoffs, more complete teams like Buffalo would kick the #### out of us. Romo is a modern Marino. I like watching Dak play, and he seems like he's got a pretty good future ahead of him, but his fortunes will be no better than Romo's until Dallas build a better team overall.

I don't know where you got your information on Trent Dilfer. For quarterbacks that have played in 6 or more playoff games that record would be held by Bart Starr who was 9-1, and Sid Luckman is tied with Dilfer at 5-1. There are 6 quarterbacks that have perfect records that were backups in their playoff wins the most being Frank Reich at 2-0.

Miami has never really had a running game unless you count Larry Csonka and Ricky Williams. They had good offensive linemen, but never drafted a back. I never understood that.

As for Dallas a lot of the problems I've always said it Jerry listened to Al Davis too much. He would trade numerous #1 draft picks for receivers that were mediocre with Joey Galloway (decent) and Roy E. Williams (failure). He overspent on Raghib Ismael in free agency and traded Galloway for Keyshawn Johnson. I will say the Terrell Owens signing wasn't as bad as I expected. Jerry has tried to bring in secondaries that haven't worked out. I think you have to have a top 10 defense to win Super Bowl, but I won't go so far to say that having a top 5 is a sure lock. In this day and age even a decent quarterback appears to be elite simply because it's a passing league. If you put many quarterbacks and receivers of today back in the 70's they wouldn't have the numbers that they do.