Cowboys Longer Offseason

Doomer

What would you do with the #4 pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you handle it?

• Stay put- Take the best player available
    • Trade Up- Take Goff as your franchise QB
    • Trade Down- Pick up extra picks in a deep draft where you have position problems

Let's see. Weeden stinks, but is ok in Houston. Cassel and Moore stink.

How about a theory that Garrett isn't much of a coach ?? ding ding ding

Neither Weeden or Moore have had Dez on the field. I think our receiving corps stinks. Maybe Dez takes some pressure off them when he's playing, but they can't step it up. I realize we are missing two of our main starters on offense, but there are holes on this team. I don't think they can be filled in one draft.

True. I shouldn't have said Moore stinks, because he hasn't had a true shot. I have already said earlier though, I think he has absolutely no shot at being a starting QB in this league.

I do believe there is a serious coaching issue on this team. Garrett hasn't shown me any capability of "coaching anybody up"

Williams can have success with Dez drawing double coverage. Without Dez, Boys are playing 10 on 11 with Williams out there.

The Butler kid looked good.

Without a full arsenal at his disposal, I don't know if you can fully judge Moore's performance. There are some throws and mechanics that are ugly to watch but he can get the ball there. I'm not saying QB of the future as of today. Maybe not even 2016 QB2. It's just too early to tell with a "organic tank" happening.

If the Boys fall back in the draft and still have a shot at one of the top defense guys or Treadwell, they should be happy. Treadwell when healthy could give you a guy across from Dez that you have to account for if not double team if Dez sits. Defense has been good but could always be better.

Williams can have success with Dez drawing double coverage. Without Dez, Boys are playing 10 on 11 with Williams out there.

The Butler kid looked good.

Without a full arsenal at his disposal, I don't know if you can fully judge Moore's performance. There are some throws and mechanics that are ugly to watch but he can get the ball there. I'm not saying QB of the future as of today. Maybe not even 2016 QB2. It's just too early to tell with a "organic tank" happening.

If the Boys fall back in the draft and still have a shot at one of the top defense guys or Treadwell, they should be happy. Treadwell when healthy could give you a guy across from Dez that you have to account for if not double team if Dez sits. Defense has been good but could always be better.

That's why I think we need to draft a receiver as well. It has been proven this year that the backups aren't up to snuff. They remind me of the Cowboys receivers after Drew Pearson and Tony Hill started at the ends of their careers. I know we drafted Mike Sherrard, but his leg bones were too fragile for the NFL. I don't think that we can use free agency anymore, because the cost of a solid veteran is just too much of a hit on the salary cap.

I agree Dave. Overspending in FA for a WR when it could be spent fixing other problems doesn't make sense. I don't know if Treadwell is the answer. They need someone to pair with Dez. I'd almost rather have the WR than the QB right now or early in the first couple of rounds.

Its true we could go DB and have our pick of the litter, but bear in mind we had the 5 best passing defense in the league this year. Its getting turnovers that killed us, and none of the top 3 DB's available have many interceptions to their names in college. Our lack of an offensive punch this year is what killed us, and one could argue finding a true compliment to Dez on the other side of the field, and another RB that is younger and can give McFadden a rest.

Jerry says no big changes coming. Says we are closer than anybody realizes. smh

Can't even get upset about what we knew would happen.......nothing

We are...this team is loaded with young talent. Losing your teams unquestioned leader at the beginning of the season will take the wind out of your sails real quick. If Romo doesn't go out, and we had never fooled with Randle's drama this is a different season. McFadden didn't hardly touch the ball at the beginning of the season and will still be a 1000 yard rusher. If our offense had put out like last year with our vastly improved defense we are easily in the playoffs with a possible first round bye. This team was 3 and 1 with Romo on the field. And they can say what they want, he should have never been on the field vs Miami or Carolina, he was not healed.

• Like 1

If if if

Houston has used 4 QB (one who couldn't do jack with us) and have consistently gotten better and are playoff bound. It is crazy IMO to say put all this on Romo's injury. That's Jerry Jones thinking right there. I have nothing against Romo.....but the days we see him staying healthy for every game are gone. He's as tough as nails, but his body is declining and that don't reverse. I've never been what I call a Romo hater, but even when I was critical of him I never said he wasn't a tough guy. He leaves it all on the field every game. He just can't survive doing that anymore

I put equal amount of blame on this season on Romo's unfortunate injury and the inability of Jason Garrett to get anybody else coached up enough to play. There is no excuse for this "close" team to have lost 9 or 10 with or without their QB.

The difference IMO is they used backup QBs to win games & advance. I think we have much superior talent and we continually got worse. I put that on coaching & team attitude. My argument is that Jerry sees all this and still says "no big changes are needed". So we get more of the same. I do not understand how somebody as business savvy as he is can be so delusional about what is right in front of his face

The difference IMO is they used backup QBs to win games & advance. I think we have much superior talent and we continually got worse. I put that on coaching & team attitude. My argument is that Jerry sees all this and still says "no big changes are needed". So we get more of the same

Jerry isn't about to admit that the coaching staff and players he has put together isn't working. Making any significant changes would be admitting failure ..

The difference IMO is they used backup QBs to win games & advance. I think we have much superior talent and we continually got worse. I put that on coaching & team attitude. My argument is that Jerry sees all this and still says "no big changes are needed". So we get more of the same. I do not understand how somebody as business savvy as he is can be so delusional about what is right in front of his face

I can agree there should have been some kind of spark coming from somewhere. Whether it's coaches or players, not enough were able to step up. But in all fairness the amount of key players missing so many games is not common to the other teams winning with the back-up qb's. That is not on Jerry Jones. He got the players on the team. The talent was there.

Cowboys can scout the teams who are in the playoffs and begin preparing for next year early. Should be light years ahead of the teams still going and more recovered from injuries. The playoff teams is risking injury and fatigue.

• Like 1

Cowboys can scout the teams who are in the playoffs and begin preparing for next year early. Should be light years ahead of the teams still going and more recovered from injuries. The playoff teams is risking injury and fatigue.

Yea, if a few things fall into place and they pick a couple more retreads and a few more convicts, they could get back to stringing more of those impressive 8-8 seasons together again. Romo can rack up a few more stats too ...

• Like 1

I agree 100%

Yea, if a few things fall into place and they pick a couple more retreads and a few more convicts, they could get back to stringing more of those impressive 8-8 seasons together again. Romo can rack up a few more stats too ...

I agree 100%. Prolly either 8-8 or 11-5

I think Kellen Moore proved he can be a backup in the NFL. He just needs more work on reading coverage and not fumbling. I'm rooting for San Francisco and San Diego to win right now so we get the #3 draft pick. The worst we can do is 6th. We won't know for sure until after those games are over.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like ol Jerry is taking advantage of the longer off season just like I suggested.

"However, if there is even one team that would be willing to take a chance on Manziel, it might be the Dallas Cowboys. Owner/general manager Jerry Jones has said in the past he wanted to draft Manziel but was talked out of it. Last week, Jones was asked on his weekly Dallas radio show about "young backup quarterbacks who come with some risks" without Manziel being mentioned by name, and Jones said the Cowboys would consider it.

"What would enhance me taking risk is a big bigger upside," he said. "If that upside is there, that ol’ risk-reward situation, then yeah. This is as far as we’re going to go here now with this, because I don’t want to get involved in any type of tampering situation. We’d take some risk.”

I'm leaning more to a reclamation project in RG3 or JFF than Goff or Lynch. Now, Wentz is interesting. Very interesting. Is he a 1st rounder or a 2nd? If he falls/slips like Carr did to the 2nd I'd pull the trigger. At 4? I'd rather have defense or Treadwell, maybe Elliott but a top 4 pick on a RB nowadays? That's rough.