Rusk AD search?

Goldmember

If they were gonna get hometown guy, why is there a search firm? This makes me think they could get someone else. Maybe get someone that has a state title? Get someone that has been somewhere that knows how to win on a consistant basis. I agree with all that say this needs to be a home run for Rusk, sometimes getting someone that has no ties turns out to be the best fit.

I'm not so sure that the alums have ANY say in this situation. The superintendent (not an alum) hired the firm to do the search and the firm will recommend the three or so names to the board for interviews. Yes, the board has the power to ask others to be interviewed, but I'm not so sure that will happen.

I have not spoken to a single board member about this, but I would be willing to bet the superintendent is going to rely on the firm. That is just my guess, nothing factual.

I know a few of the board members and think they will do what they can do make the right hire.

Meanwhile, has anyone thought about the fact that if a potential coach is not a part of the firm's database that they may not be in the running? This whole search firm issue has gotten me thinking about how these firms work, and quite honestly, I'm not sure it brings you the best candidate, but brings you the best candidate that pays the firm to be a part of their database. Someone may tell me I'm wrong about that, but that is from the info I have received.

Either way, as a Rusk alum, I don't care who they hire as long as it is the right person.

Not how it works.

No one pays the firm except the school looking to hire the coach.

The firm simply takes applications or calls those they may know personally that fit the description the school has set.

No coaches are "members" of the search firm or pay to be on their "applicant list".

I beg to differ. Once guys are in the firms data base then yes...they are members of that search firm

And that is exactly what a hiring firm should do. They are hired to get you the best fit for your school and community, based on what you tell them you want. Any "headhunter" firm for any type of business, worth their salt, will bring you as close to exactly what you want as possible. NOW, that does not mean, as Uniballer suggested, that they have a higher priority over applicants. These guys will look through every applicant and yes, use their own "database" (as you call it) or network and connections, to find this school the closest perfect fit they can.

Isn't this the exact purpose of the "Search Firm"...........To SEARCH for the best possible fit for the job?

How many school in the State have used or are currently using a search firm for open AD/HC positions?

I understand that "Search Firms" help bring people before the hiring committee that fits the criteria imposed by the school. Just don't think using a Search Firm is the way to go in this situation.

We will just see how this plays out. Hopefully the search firm does it's homework on all prospects for the job.

That's exactly what they are hired to do......"their homework".

I don't see the problem with using one.

No one's ever happy. You read on here and TOC and other places about how ridiculous the hiring process is and how much of a joke it is concerning the manner in which people hire. If they use a committee, the supt has no balls. If the board is involved, they shouldn't be. If it's the supt himself, then he's a renegade and won't listen to what the "alumns" want or his board.

It's a no win situation with all you people.

The search firm is made up of Texas High School Hall of Fame caliber coaches and AD's. It would seem they would be almost ideal for hiring a coach that would do a great job. Now, could they bring in someone better than they actually hire sometimes? Sure, but they can't MAKE everyone that would be a better fit apply nor can they MAKE the "perfect fit" TAKE the job. They simply will do the best they can.

I've heard a lot of griping about the firm being used.............how about someone, or everyone together, list 3 good, valid reasons, why it is NOT a good idea to employ the services of Champions Hiring Firm.

Ready........GO!

How many school in the State have used or are currently using a search firm for open AD/HC positions?

I understand that "Search Firms" help bring people before the hiring committee that fits the criteria imposed by the school. Just don't think using a Search Firm is the way to go in this situation.

We will just see how this plays out. Hopefully the search firm does it's homework on all prospects for the job.

How many schools in the State get their hires right without the use of a search firm for open AD/HC positions?

If you understand that "search firms" help bring people before the hiring committee that fits the criteria imposed by the school, then why is it NOT the "way to go in this situation"????

1. Taxpayers money being used to Pay someone with no stake in what happens at the school .

2. No Transparency....... will the taxpayers know who all applied for the job.

3. Aren't those in the Administration positions supposed to do the hiring. You use a Search firm......then it doesn't work out ....then you can say...." we hired from the pool presented to us by the firm we hired.

• Like 1

I've shown no interest in this job Skid - just the strange way of thinking projected by some about the hiring process. My interest lies there.

1. Tax Payer money is being spent wrong in exactly however many community members there are paying school taxes. In addition to that statement, while someone else is now freed up to do other tasks, the money is being well allocated. As in, instead of the Supt taking and searching through applications and double checking everything, he's actually doing other things. No one else in the school is being pulled away from their daily duties to put their job on hold to hire a coach. If the Firm actually does its job, then it's money well spent. In addition - do you think 99.99% of Supts out there are more qualified to know what a good coach is more than these guys hired? Please answer that question

2. No transparency???? Why should there be any at all? You tax dollars do not justify complete transparency into every aspect of the ISD you support. If so, we'll have do away with "closed session" restrictions for school board members. Catch up fellows. There are reasons certain things should and should not be disclosed. In addition - are you this curious or do you demand a list of applicants for every classroom hire as well? Also - what qualifies your opinion of the list of people interviewed and not? Seriously, you could see the list and wonder why Nick Saban wasn't granted an interview, go cussing all over town how stupid our supt is only to find out he applied but later withdrew b/c he didn't like his name being made public. ;)

3. The admin sees a complete list of applicants. Anyone they want to have interviewed gets an interview.

Get informed guys........oh wait, that's what I'm doing for you here.

Seriously - I think hiring the search firm was an excellent idea and should be used most times. There are no-brain'r hires and then there is the other 95% out there. Use your resources guys.

You guys sell houses by owner or do you hire a search firm (realtor) to seek out your "potential" buyers?

So your the Devil's Advocate. You asked to list reasons and I did. Transparency....I think is a big issue. Sure some people who interview or throw their name in the hat don't want it public knowledge.... And I respect that. But tax payers do deserve to know things.

Supt. is hired to make decisions on hiring and other things pertaining to the school. That is his job and that is why he is the Highest paid administrator in the school district. Taking $5-10 K from the districts coffers to do a job he should be doing imo is not right.

So your the Devil's Advocate. You asked to list reasons and I did. Transparency....I think is a big issue. Sure some people who interview or throw their name in the hat don't want it public knowledge.... And I respect that. But tax payers do deserve to know things.

Supt. is hired to make decisions on hiring and other things pertaining to the school. That is his job and that is why he is the Highest paid administrator in the school district. Taking $5-10 K from the districts coffers to do a job he should be doing imo is not right.

Why do taxpayers deserve to know who applied for the job?