2A Softball thread

trueblue82

I heard Cushing offered to be #2 seed. #1 seed would face Grapeland with Slocum on other side of bracket. Any fiber of truth to that?

Looks like you have a good source. Joaquin is the 1 seed, and will play Grapeland in Round 1. Cushing is the 2 seed, and I'm thinking they play Neches. Alto is #3, and they should get Latexo. Douglas is #4 and gets Slocum.

Our 1 seed is in the bottom of the bracket, and will get to Round 3 before they meet up with Harleton. 2 seed is in the top, and has to get to Round 3 to play Beckville. A lot of solid teams in Region 3.

If comparing regions, region 3 is behind region 2 and region 4 as far as depth in quality of teams. Maybe ahead of region 1

If comparing regions, region 3 is behind region 2 and region 4 as far as depth in quality of teams. Maybe ahead of region 1

Not gonna argue with you there. Not a lot of comparison between the regions until they get to the state tournament, and then it's just the top teams from each. But I can't remember the last time a Region 3 team won state in what is now AA. I know Beckville, Harleton, and Garrison have all been there and come up short in recent years.

What's the thinking by Cushing in taking #2?

Truthfully, I don't have a clue. They beat Joaquin in round 1 of district 5-3. Joaquin was up in the bottom of the 7th, and gave up the winning runs on errors. Joaquin won 2-0 in round 2, but stranded 8 base runners. Looking at the bracket, there isn't a ton of difference in the draw between having the 1 and 2 seed. On both, you have several solid teams and a couple of really good ones to get through before you get to regional semis. If you're the 1 seed and get that far, you play Harleton. If you're the 2 seed and last that long, you get Beckville. I've never met the Cushing coach, so I won't speculate on his thinking. But from what I understand, he's a pretty smart cookie.

Bi-District matchups for 21AA and 22AA:

D21 #1 seed (winner of Slocum/ Latexo) vs. D22 #4 seed Douglas

D21 #2 seed (Slocum/ Latexo loser) vs. D22 #3 seed Alto.

D22 #2 seed Cushing vs. D21 #3 seed Neches

D22 #1 seed Joaquin vs. D21 #4 seed Grapeland

I know the coaches have met and it will be a best of three series, with Game 1 this Thursday and Game 2 on Saturday with Game 3 to follow. They are still looking for a field. The extra playoff team out of each district really crowds up field availability.

Joaquin/ Grapeland game 2 (and 3 if needed) moved to Madisonville today.

Grapeland took game 2 2-0. Joaquin won game 3 12-2 in 5 innings. Joaquin advances. Joaquin will face Chireno in round 2. Chireno beat Dallardsville Big Sandy 13-3 in a one-game playoff.

No idea. Avery is the only 4 seed still playing. Them knocking off Detroit was an upset. I know nothing about Avery or Hawkins.

Hawkins was 2nd place team in Beckville district. They have decent pitching and make the outs they are supposed to. They seem to be well coached, and improved as the season went on. They are a scrappy team.

No idea on Avery...