Meet the New 16-5A, Same As The Old 15-5A

Greenville

Wow, just when you thought you had the UIL figured out they throw you another curve!! Though there are some things good about this district staying together, travel is still an issue, especially for Greenville. Looking at the 2 East Texas districts it seems that the UIL just got lazy and took the easy way out!! The problem with a 7 team district is that your open date will be in the middle of the district schedule. Might even be week 10!! This is really tough on sports that have a double round robin schedule!!

The senior class at MP was suppose to be the special group a friend of mine has said so we'll see if the coaching staff get that group going apparently going to be senior heavy year with a massive O-Line.

My hat is off to the UIL. What a great job of maintaining many district rivalries and avoiding a dismal travel arrangement with the aforementioned 9 team district. With the number of athletes graduating from Marshall and Hallsville, and aside from Texas High's assured dominance, this district could lead to some interesting results. Pine Tree/ Mount Pleasant/ and Sulpher Springs are the conversation starters. I did not think my Pirates would perform as well as they did this year. I think Coach Collins demonstrated great coaching and development. I'm thankful we hired him. Despite last year's success, our quarterback is gone, and with no clear starter in waiting, Collins' spread attack will most likely sputter. I do not see us beating Mount Pleasant this year. Their line is monstrous and their running back Holloman is the real deal. If they develop the quarterback position they will be hard to beat. Sulpher Springs reminds me of a major league sports team looking to relocate and start over, except, nobody wants them. With their overall population falling, a limited athlete pool to choose from, and no clear superstar, I think the days of Coach Owen's leading his teams to victory are far gone. As far as the small 3 go, I think the standings finish with Mount Pleasant in the 4th spot for playoffs, Pine Tree close behind, and Sulpher Springs struggling to beat Greenville.