Meet the New 16-5A, Same As The Old 15-5A

Greenville

Having time to digest it a few days...... I'm pretty happy with the schedule Coach Harper has pulled together for 2016.

It's exponentially tougher than what we had in 2014 and 2015, but still not yet at the level we need it to be IMHO to be a top contender.

Obviously just having Longview on the non-distrct schedule puts us among one of the toughest around.

Monroe Ouachita is one of the winningnest programs in Louisiana.

Those are two solid programs. Hard to complain about having them on the schedule. Top notch competition IMHO.

Tyler Lee and Corsicana are better than RC and Crandall were IMHO. But I don't think either at at the level of Longview or Ouachita. Lee HS is double the size of MHS.... they should be heavy favorites. It will be interesting to see how predictions will go to open the season. Corsicana..... hard to say. They struggled in 16-5A..... who had it's troubles against 15-5A in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see this match up. And a perfect game to lead up to district.

I hate the idea of ending the season on a bye. UGH. But I guess someone had to do it in the district. If we are beat up, it may be a blessing. But I hate the idea of going into a playoff game flat from a week off.

Scrimmaging Carthage....that should be good. They have proven themselves through the years as one of the top programs not just in ETx, but in the state. Good match up and could be a good local rivalry with CHS and MHS just 30 miles apart.

Pretty stoked about 2016.

Not sure what Corsicana is losing, but they were better than their record shows. They played Lindale close the whole game and lost on a last second field goal to Ennis. Their only big margin district loses were to JT and Lufkin.

Not sure what they'll bring back, but they may givr you a better game than you think.

Commerce got a good one. Expect big things from him over the next few years there. The logos are looking good. Glad we will continue to have your weekly matchup posts but not so much the travel. That drive is brutal.

I guess the worst part of that trip is riding a 2 lane highway through the backwoods of east Texas for 2 hours... Overall, it's not that bad of a trip, but it kind of stinks that if you have to pee, you aren't finding a bathroom until Gilmer, then nothing again until Greenville...

What is Marshall bringing back in 2016? I know they bring back Cam Haller, but not sure what after that. Are the Mavs primed for a run? I for one was glad to see them have a successful season after a couple of lean years. Lotta history there. It's good for ETX when Marshall is playing at a high level.

What is Marshall bringing back in 2016? I know they bring back Cam Haller, but not sure what after that. Are the Mavs primed for a run? I for one was glad to see them have a successful season after a couple of lean years. Lotta history there. It's good for ETX when Marshall is playing at a high level.

Marshall just ran into a buzzsaw that was Frisco Lone Star. They also return Corteze Hurd (sp? Mavchamp/Real Mav?) and a lot of other skill position guys. I want to say their defense is returning between 5-7 starters and their offense might be returning 8??

They're going to be a force next year, I think.

I guess the worst part of that trip is riding a 2 lane highway through the backwoods of east Texas for 2 hours... Overall, it's not that bad of a trip, but it kind of stinks that if you have to pee, you aren't finding a bathroom until Gilmer, then nothing again until Greenville...

Try doing it four times a season. Loads of fun. :)

Still beats the MetroMess though.

Pine Tree and Hallsville will both play Jacksonville in non-district; Pine Tree in Week 1 and Hallsville in Week 3.

Pine Tree's full non-district: Jacksonville, Pittsburg, Kilgore, Henderson

Hallsville has Jacksonville, Whitehouse, and Nacogdoches. One spot left to fill, and other than Jacksonville, order is not set as of the article the News-Journal put out on the 1st.

Pine Tree and Hallsville will both play Jacksonville in non-district; Pine Tree in Week 1 and Hallsville in Week 3.

Pine Tree's full non-district: Jacksonville, Pittsburg, Kilgore, Henderson

Hallsville has Jacksonville, Whitehouse, and Nacogdoches. One spot left to fill, and other than Jacksonville, order is not set as of the article the News-Journal put out on the 1st.

Hallsville's other non-district opponent is going to be Wylie East. Non-district schedule looks like this (tentative on sites)

Week 0 Whitehouse There

Week 1 Wylie East Home

Week 2 Jacksonville Home

Week 3 Nacogdoches There

Week 1 of District is Mt. Pleasant but can't remember the rest except our open date is after the 2nd district contest.

Yes Corteze Hurd is one of 7-8 sophmores that played on varsity. On offense we will miss QB Hart, WRs Dabbs and Patton, and RB Mills. Cam returns for his senior season with i believe 4 out of the 5 o-linemen. On defense we lose DL Washington, LB Osborne and DBs Smith and Jernigan. So i think we return 5 on offense and 7 on defense.

I could be wrong..... it happens frequently.....

But I'll be shocked if Cam Haller is at QB this fall. Maybe in a part time/wildcat role..... but not the full time starter.

Sounds like we will have a QB contest this spring.... and it could shape up to be a good one. Hurd will likely be in the QB race. But I have a feeling Trevor Clark will make some noise this spring too . Haller will make a 3 man race.

We shall see. I just hope they have it all figured out by the time we take the field against Lee.

We have 3 out of 5 ol starters returning, but those 3 are all D1 prospects. Kendrell Booty, Hines and King. Will be a solid group for Haller and Brooks to run behind. The running game and defense alone should have us rolling. With all of our wrs and passing qb graduating, it will be a major focal point in the offseason. If we can find an accurate qb it could be the difference in being good and great. We always seem to find good wrs so not too worried there.

Hallsville's other non-district opponent is going to be Wylie East. Non-district schedule looks like this (tentative on sites)

Week 0 Whitehouse There

Week 1 Wylie East Home

Week 2 Jacksonville Home

Week 3 Nacogdoches There

Week 1 of District is Mt. Pleasant but can't remember the rest except our open date is after the 2nd district contest.

Wylie East? Hallsville graduated several of their key players. I'm surprised they would schedule such a tough non-district opponent.

Hunter Herrington will be the front runner fro the qb job this spring for the Mavs. He will be a junior this fall, sit out his soph yr rehabbing a knee. But was at every practice last year, throwing & learning the offense. He was also at every game & helped signaled in plays. He has good size & a cannon arm. He has a lot of potential.

If Harrington steps up at the position, it's possible we COULD be an OVERALL better squad in 2016 than we were in 2015.

We knew our defense would be our weakest link in 2015, which proved to be true. Defense struggled against Texas High, Longview, Lone Star, and Hallsville for about a quarter and a half. Gonna just ignore the debacle that went down at PT..... still completely inexplicable.

Defense SHOULD be much improved this year with over half of the unit returning. They have tons of experience going into this season.

Offense will likely be down a little. You don't replace a 4 year starting QB easily. But having Cam Haller anywhere in the backfield makes you better. Finding wide receivers has never been a problem for the Mavs, even in those lean years. The challenge will be finding the O line and another backfield threat to compliment Haller.

Having Longview out of the district obviously helps our goal of winning a district championship. But Texas High is still a 500lb gorilla for the Mavs. And we can't overlook anyone else in this district lest we forget PT last season.

Don't think it will be a total rebuild in 2016. But not exactly a reload either.... we aren't at they point.... yet. Still working to get there